• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some info on a Remington 40-X

indianapwns

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2013
Knoxville, TN
I inherited some rifles from my dad when he passed, and while most of them I'd used before when we'd go hunting, I know nothing about this one. So I just threw it in my gun safe when he died and totally forgot about it. Now with ammo so hard to find I've been going through my gun safe looking for rifles in less-popular calibers that I might be able to still find ammo for.

This particular rifle is a Remington 40-X single shot in .22-250. It's got a heavy stainless steel barrel. The barrel appears to be 1 1/4 inches diameter where it meets the action, and about 7/8 inches at the muzzle. The serial number looks like 35XXXB, which from reading here and a few other sites it seems to have been made around 1968-1970. It has the lightest trigger I've ever encountered. I feel like I could just breathe heavy on the trigger and it would fire. It's also by far the heaviest gun I own, and I don't even have optics on it yet.

I'd like to set this up as a nice bench rest rifle. I've got regular access to a 200 yard range where this would be a lot of fun, and I can get access to a up to 1000 yard range occasionally. I'm planning on pulling a 15x J. Unertl scope off a bolt action .22lr that my dad also left me, and putting it on this thing since I don't see myself ever using that bolt action .22lr over my collection of 10/22s, and the huge Unertl scope seems silly on a .22lr anyway.

Thing is the stock is in pretty bad shape. It's really scratched up and it appears to have water damage on one side. Plus I've never been a big fan of wooden stocks. From what I gather this thing is based on a Remington 700 action? Is the barrel contour the same as a Remington 700 Varmint barrel? I was thinking of getting something like a Choate Sniper stock (although I could see myself getting a much more expensive stock later if I end up shooting this a lot), but before I ordered something I really wanted to know if I was going to have to do a bunch of work on the aftermarket stock to fit this rifle, or if it would just drop in. Can I expect it to just drop in to any stock made for Remington 700 ADL short action?

Here's some pictures of the rifle:
Remington 1.jpg Remington 2.jpg Remington 3.jpg

Well with no replies after a couple days I decided to go ahead and order a new stock to try it out. Ordered this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...ction-125-barrel-channel-synthetic-olive-drab

Got it in today and the action fits perfectly and the barrel free floats. The original screws were the wrong length for this stock, but the new stock also came with new screws that were the perfect length. So to anybody with an old 40-X that wants to try a different stock you shouldn't have any issues.

I'll post some pictures of it all in a few days after I get the scope mounted.

I never saw the original post. Your 40x is basically the same action as the 700. Did you order the ADL of BDL version of the stock? The action screws will be different. You can order replacements from Midway or Brownells

I never saw the original post. Your 40x is basically the same action as the 700. Did you order the ADL of BDL version of the stock? The action screws will be different. You can order replacements from Midway or Brownells

I ordered the ADL version. My 40x is a single shot, with no internal/external magazine at all, so it seemed like the ADL version was the way to go.
The stock came with replacement action screws that fit perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Any recommendation on a bipod for use with this stock? Seems like everybody likes Harris, and Midway has a sale on Harris bipods going on right now.

I ordered the ADL version. My 40x is a single shot, with no internal/external magazine at all, so it seemed like the ADL version was the way to go.
The stock came with replacement action screws that fit perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Any recommendation on a bipod for use with this stock? Seems like everybody likes Harris, and Midway has a sale on Harris bipods going on right now.

Harris are pretty good. You can drop a lot of money for something like an Atlas bipod, but lets face it, you should buy what you need.

And a harris or even a UTG would probably meet your needs (and then some) plus save you some coin over the top tier stuff guys on here like.

harris would be great for your application. get a swivel model. If your going to use it straight off the bench then you don't need the leg notch version however the leg notch doesn't have the chance of collapsing like the standard model. get a pod loc or similar tension lever.
Good luck. The 40x is a great rifle. If you find you really enjoy it, save up for a higher end stock, such as a Manners or McMillan. It will make a surprising difference.
Happy shooting

the thing with 22-250 is they come with a 1-14" twist barrel. Thats good for bullets 40-50 grains, maybr 55. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, not good for over like 300 yds. Not a bad deal. Rifle is a beauty. Sorry for the loss of yor Dad, Mine was a great shooting companion. I would keep the original stock, strip it and put a good oil finish on it. If thats not you thing PM me with what $$ you want for it. My 40-XR needs a stock

Here's a few pics with the new stock and the scope mounted, but no bipod yet:
a.jpg b.jpg

It comes in at just a little over 17 pounds now.

That sucks about the twist rate on the 22-250 barrel. I had been trying to figure out what the twist rate was, and it does look like all Remington 700s in that caliber use a 1-14" twist. Oh well, I'll probably just keep it on the 200 yard range. Will still be plenty of fun.

I'm already thinking of what I would need to buy for a longer range rifle though, probably a 7mm.

Hard to tell from the pics, it looks like factory proof marks on the barrel. Is it a factory barrel? I could have been rebarreled, possibly with a different twist. You should check it. Put a tight patch on a rod and see how far it goes to rotate once. Then you'll know. Shoot it and have fun. It will be fairly inexpensive to learn a lot from.

I have a single shot 40X in .220 Swift. It has a 1-14 twist and has no trouble sending ground hogs to the happy pasture field at 550 yd with 55gr Ballistic Tips.