• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some info on building a gun

Big joe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Im new at this site and wanted some info. I'm looking at building a gun, wanting to build something for distance 500-1000 yards. What action,barrel, and caliber do you guys suggest? I have Remington pss now in 308 but I really don't know where to start on what to build

You'll get a lot of advice, but your best bet is to spend a few hours browsing the bolt action forum. Nothing wrong with shooting your Remington 308 for a while while you learn about the options and make up your mind.

^^^

What he said, practice shooting and you'll start to figure out what you want. 6.5 and 7mm cartridges can get you out those distances fairly easy, and depending if your building on a long or short action will help determine your cartridge.

Another question is if you're going to reload your own ammunition or just purchase factory cartridges, because that'll also narrow down your options.

IMHO I would look at the 6.5-284, 260, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmore and wouldn't count out a plain Jane 243. But there are plenty of cartridges that'll meet your needs

Like Jhnmdahl said, spend some time shooting to learn what the limitations are with your setup. If you don't reload, find a suitable caliber with a good selection of factory ammo. Browse the PX, there are some good deals on there. There are also some solid factory rigs like FN SPR's. Don't be impulsive, this addiction is expensive enough as it is.

Or get into reloading... If you do it right you can save money, if not it's probably your cheapest way to improve accuracy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My vote would be something in 6.5 caliber for shooting out to a grand. As far as actions, barrels, stocks, etc, there is hundreds of different combos that would all be great. I like building on Savage actions so I can switch barrels and do all the work myself. Nothing wrong with what you are shooting now, that gun will most likely do what you are wanting to do.