• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need some load date for 308 using H380

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
im shooting a savage 308 with a 20in heavy barrel with a 1 in 10 twist
been using varget and IMR 3031 working well but finding it isnt that easy around my area

going to be using
Brass-Fed
Primers-Win or CCI benchrest
Bullet-168gr or 175gr
loads will be used from 300yrds to 600yrds

let me know what works for you

Re: need some load date for 308 using H380

I had very good results with an HS Precision HTR in .308 with 190gr Berger VLD, Rem 9 1/2 primer & 44.0grs H380. It was the most accurate load I tried and made a good showing at both 600 & 1,000 yards.

James,

I don't see any load in the Hodgdon manual using 380 in the .308. I've used in my 30-06 and .270.

It's right next to BLC2(which is next to 748-the same thing I understand) in the burn rate chart (in that same 2009 manual) and only 2 slots slower than Varget!

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Try looking in the Lee and Lyman Manuals for load data as this seems to be a worthy choice if not ideal.

Have you tried calling Mr. Cheerful at Harbor reloading in Clearwater? I've been looking for a pretext to get over there as I haven't been by in a few months.

I hope that crabby bastid is still open!

I have tried a few 168g loads with h380 but I they were all compressed with no sighn's of pressure, I went well into the neck with the powder before I stopped and switched powder. all the loads I tried were below max,I think they came from an old RCBS load Program.speer #11 shows a load but there was no way I could get that much powder in the case..