• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Some M1A Scope Help

TFLeader

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2021
MASS.
Have been bitten buy the long range shooting bug. Have been shooting 100 to 200 yards with a M1D Garand and now would like to add a scope to my M1A and move up to 600 yds. With maybe a stretch to 800 yds.

After extensive reading and on line searching I have set mt sights on a Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm with a MOA reticle. (90% confidence)

I am attracted to the Leopold because it would be a close cousin to scoped military M14.

Question I have are:

- Thoughts in general on the Leupold VX-3i LRP 4.5-14x50mm
- What would an appropriate set of rings be and the recommended height?
- Some folks think the MOA is too busy?

Thanks in advance.

The problem with scoping a M1A is not the scope or rings but the mount and also how high off the stock it mounts. You will probably have to get a high stock pack and a good mount will be a few hundred. Don't go cheap or it will be loosening up on you and you will go crazy.

I have the A.R.M.S. it's a tank! I ran a Mk4 for a while with a huge objective because that's what I had laying around. Recently I took it off to shoot iron sights until I can score that new ATACR 4x16x42.

For a bolt on, I'd go with Sadlak or go with an LRB receiver

Reactions: Moose
I've used an ARMS 18 on my M14 for years and it's been solid. Ran an old Mk4 3.5-10x for a while and then later a Bushnell Elite 3-12 LRTSi (both in ARMS 22 med rings) and have shot it out to 830 yards (on a 2/3 IPSC). The Bushy LRTSi is almost a perfect scope for a "precision" gas gun, imo.

Same I had an arch angel stock, and tried a sadlak, and even the vltor full length one no love bought the basset and it worked awesome

qwe
I've used an ARMS 18 on my M14 for years and it's been solid. Ran an old Mk4 3.5-10x for a while and then later a Bushnell Elite 3-12 LRTSi (both in ARMS 22 med rings) and have shot it out to 830 yards (on a 2/3 IPSC). The Bushy LRTSi is almost a perfect scope for a "precision" gas gun, imo.
I went for the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14×50 in mils with cch reticle. What height would you suggest for the ARMS 22 mount for a M1A with a Springfield Armory mount? Medium or Low?
I would have gone for the Sadlak, but learned about it to late. I hand fitted the mount and dont intend to take it off, so there is always hope.

Last edited:
Bought a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44, with a MOA VMR-1 reticle.

I plan on shooting it at the CMP 1000yds match in Aug.

I have shot 4x vintage sniper at 1000yds before with good results.

Play it by ear on the rings. Get whichever ones get the scope lowest on the rifle without hitting. I currently use mediums

Will try the ARMS 22 in medium.

Thanks!
Get an actual height because a medium in one maker might be completely different height than a medium in another. Best to get actual height, base to center of tube is how most measure, than the generic height names like medium or low.

qwe

I went for the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14×50 in mils with cch reticle. What height would you suggest for the ARMS 22 mount for a M1A with a Springfield Armory mount? Medium or Low?
I would have gone for the Sadlak, but learned about it to late. I hand fitted the mount and dont intend to take it off, so there is always hope.
The ARMS 22 mediums are as low as I could go (using an ARMS 18 mount) and still have the ocular clear the irons.

the bigger issue with the M1A is the receiver. the current crop of quality mounts mentioned here are fine. the variations in Springfield and other receivers induce variations that complicate the mounts' job

Can not find a ARMS #22 Medium anywhere!
There isn't any particular reason to only go with the ARMS 22s unless you want the ability to qd to use irons. If I was in your position, I'd probably just use an appropriate height set of Badger Ordnance rings.

Reactions: SFC RHYNO
I second that on the badger rings. Here is a photo with my old Mk4 mounted.
1002161811.jpg

PS: what height are your rings?
If I remember correctly these are the Night Force Mediums, they are a great aluminum option. I also use Badger on just about every other rifle I mount a scope. After having purchased both I prefer the badger. They just feel more substantial, maybe its because they are steel. Either way they both perform well and neither are a bad choice.

I ran Sadlak, liked it, but - as said above - didn't like the gun with a scope. To be clear: loved the gun without a scope. This is a gun not made for scoping. I can make it work, but it is a series of least bad options.

If you are serious about stretching the proverbial legs, sell the M1A, get an AR10, rock on.