• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need some opinions

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Ok, long story short. I have a cousin who is a freshman this year. Very responsible and good kid. My aunt (his mother) and my piece of shit uncle have been going through a nasty drawn out divorce for a couple years now and it has been a financial burden to my aunt trying to care for my cousin kevin and older cousin Katie. Kevin has a dire need for a father figure and has recently started to really enjoy shooting and fishing. He has been shooting clay birds, several handguns and various small bore rifle with my family for a few months now and I would like to get him his first gun and spend more time with him. My first thought was a 4-10 as this was my first gun but the more I thought about price/availability of ammo and some other reasons I kept coming back to a 22LR. So I need some good ideas for a good first gun for him. I was looking with him on Savage's site today and he really liked the style and designs of the synthetic heavy barrel models and preferred stainless. I think a bolt would be better over a semi such as a 10-22 so he can focus and concentrate on the basics and not how fast he can pull the trigger. Any ideas and advice would be appreciated. I was introduced to firearms at a early age and was always properly shown how to use each one as a father usually does with his son. But like I said his father is a low life pos and is more concerned with pumping steroids at age 42 to look good for younger women. I guess I just feel like I can be a good influence on my little cousin and hopefully teach him some responsibility and life lessons over the next few years before he becomes a adult. I kind of see a open door to do this spending so time together shooting and hunting as he seems to be more obsessed with guns than I am and he doesn't even have one. Like I said any help or advice would be appreciated. I just got permission from his mother today to go ahead and get him one and plan to take him a few times in the weeks to come with me so he can shoot a variety of my rifles, shotguns and handguns to get a better idea of what may fit his needs best. Thanks guys.

Re: need some opinions

Sounds like a great idea savage makes very nice rifles u won't be disappointed and this is a great gun to start off with good luck and god bless

I suggest a bolt action. Let him earn a semi-auto by showing discipline with a bolt action. My first was a Remington 572. Still have it. Light. Accurate enough if I do what I'm supposed to.

I'd suggest a Savage Mark II. This is an excellent idea. Precision shooting of any kind builds confidence and a sense of accomplishment in kids (it did in me) when they learn the basics and accurately hit targets. I think you will do a great goodness in his life. Props, man.

Sounds solid to me. hope his mother gets away from his father though, it's a rough situation to be in. What you're doing is very good, and hopefully he keeps out of stupid shit like drugs and under age drinking because he had an awesome cousin to help him through the rough times he is exposed to. Thumbs held way up high for you man, and I hope all goes well!

Sounds like "you" have a good head on your shoulders. This a very commendable thing to do and glad "his" mother was good with it.

Savage, CZ, and Marlin all make really accurate 22 lr rifles that won't break the bank. Don't forget about some of the older Winchesters and Remingtons too.

Hope it all works out good for you and your cousin.

Without hesitation I recommend the Savage MK II series. Because you mentioned a synthetic stock and stainless bull barrel, you pretty much eliminated the CZ line. The MK II's are easy to find, parts are available everywhere, and extra magazines are dirt cheap.

I have always had good luck with Savage, although my only rimfire Savage is the 93R17 BTVS. I really enjoy it, though. I agree with a bolt action - a 10/22 is great fun but the bolt is more likely to instill a little discipline. The Savage with the tactical stock feels pretty good, so that may be an option.

While buying him a rifle is a great idea, don't discount the benefit of letting him shoot your firearms with you. In addition to the close supervision, coaching, and "quality time", you may see what he really likes and that may alter your choice.

Good luck! I know my sons and I have benefitted from all the shooting we have done and continue to do together.

I'm gonna suggest a CZ 452 Style. It's stainless with a synthetic stock and is a lot more rifle than just about anything in its price point. I know it's not a heavy barrel varmint model, but it'll be better for learning position shooting (standing, kneeling, sitting) because of the better balance and lighter weight. Also, it's just as accurate as the heavy-barreled varmint.