• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some optics advise PLEASE

The4thHorseman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Hatboro, PA
www.comcast.net
Ok. I've owned an eotech 553 with a FTS magnifier wich worked perfectly. I then sold that for an acog TA31F after reading a bunch of bad hype on other forums about the eotechs. After using both I feel under armed in a CQB with the acog due to fixed magnification and limited FOV. On a plus note for the acog it is more precise when shooting to 100yrds, the optics are the cleanest I've ever seen, and it is always reliable.
This is my only AR for a SHTF situtation. I'm not going to the sand box and hardly ever shoot passed 100yrds but like to know I can if I have to.
I was thinking of selling my acog for a new eotech XPS and the new G23 FTS magnifier? I'm not sure if this is the answer or should I just work around the acog with either a DOC optic somewhere or maybe even a laser to ensure CQB support? I'm pulling hair out trying to decide. I can only afford to own one so what do you guys think?? Please keep options between these two being that these are the only two I'm interested in. Thanks

Re: Need some optics advise PLEASE

Aimpoint and magnifier.

I have handled a rifle with the ACOG/Docter combo and I am not sold on it. I would have to get some real trigger time before I would feel comfortable with it.

Look at it this way. You want your system to be MOST suited to the range that poses the biggest threat. Are targets 100-300 yards away from you really going to be a viable threat? Or would you be more worried about targets at 7-25 yards?

My duty rifle is equipped with an Aimpoint Comp M2. I have no problems hitting man sized targets at 300 QUICKLY and destroying anything at contact range.

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. If I ever had to encounter a problem it would be urban so anything for 7-25 as you put it sounds right. I could always add the mag to shoot further out.

So let me get this straight... You had an EOTech with FTS magnifier combo, and it worked perfectly, but you're hesitant now b/c of internet babble?

I have been using the EOTech with FTS magnifier for almost 2 years now, and I've found it to be a very nice set up, as well as effective.

I don't shoot at people though, only paper and steel.

The grass is always greener somewhere else!

Mark

I know I know. I got caught up into the internet stuff. I got the eotech with the FTS and my brother got the ACOG TRD31 with the doc. I was liking the fact that his was more compact and didn't need batteries. So I sold my eotech setup and got the TA31F but now I think I want to sell that for the eotech again because I'm not crazy about the acog for CQB. Does it sound crazy that I would get rid of an acog for an eotech??

Not crazy, I think both are good, just depends on what your looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not crazy, I think both are good, just depends on what your looking for. </div></div>

I agree I've learned that the acog is bad ass for precision shots. Not that the eo can't do well on its own but I think for the med range shot I have to give it to acog. I think for the kind of shooting I do and could possibly encounter a red dot is more my speed. I just wanted to hear some thoughts. Keep em coming. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may be my old eyes but I just could not get used to the EOTech 557/3x combo and got rid of them.

This is what I am running now and I am a lot happier with it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...890#Post1276890
</div></div>

I guess to each their own cause when I see a scope that STYLE I think R700 or some other type of 308? Thats just me.

I have an Eotech 553 and prefer it for Entry/CQB. I suppose if I were on the perimeter I would lean toward an ACOG. I do think the ACOG is suited for CQG with the ability to ghost; however, I feel the Eotech has quicker target acquisition.

Ultimately for targest under 100 yds Eotech.

The ACOG TA31F is a great sight. I'd keep it and learn how the BAC works.

Either that or buy an Aimpoint. As you stated you rarely shoot beyond 100 yards, the Aimpoint would be perfect! (As would the issued iron sights - put the money saved toward ammo or training!)

ACOG scopes are bad for CQB,even with the red dot on the piggy pack,you have to change head position for shooting CQB,and thats not easy

Aimpoint and 3x Mag module are hot,I dont like Eotech with magnifier,because the holo technology makes the reticle never 100% clear

but get a 1-4x scope then you have both for the half of the price
with a USO,NXS or leupy you are ready for CQB to semi sniping

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It may be my old eyes but I just could not get used to the EOTech 557/3x combo and got rid of them.

This is what I am running now and I am a lot happier with it.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...890#Post1276890
</div></div>

I guess to each their own cause when I see a scope that STYLE I think R700 or some other type of 308? Thats just me. </div></div>
No problem. Just making sure you are aware of as many choices as possible.

ACOG with BAC works well, but it takes some getting used to, I would say Aimpoint with mag personally. Target acquisition with the comp m2 is a cinch, and if you got good enough with it you wouldnt need the mag unit for 100 or less.

I was issued an ACOG back in the day, but it was a regular crosshair/BDC version. I don't remember the nomenclature. I would like to pickup one of the new USMC issue versions with the Chevron reticle that still works with the BAC to see if it is quick "close in".

Hey lonewolf, the issue ACOG works pretty well with the BAC it takes a little bit to get the whole concept and idea down, but once you do its easy as point and shoot

alot of mixed reviews on the acog. they are awesome put some work in on it and shoot a good amount of rounds and you will learn to love it. i used mine in iraq for 2 years and afghanistan for a year. the close up work is no problem w/ a acog once you get use to it and long range is great once you learn the bdc. i never had a problem in iraq. now i guess i am just a dumb grunt but i figured it out and loved it way more than the aimpoint. just for reference mine was the chevron recticle that you zero the tip at 100 meters.

Well I ended up keeping my ACOG TA31F. To help with my training with this scope since its going to be my number one I ordered the LMT sopmod buttstock to help with the close up need for the acog.