• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some options for my grandfather

snake_charmer

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
Florida
I'm trying to get my grandfather into some long range target practice but he probably won't travel to the long distance ranges. Realistically 100-300 yards would be it for him. We just went and looked at a m1a, which I didn't think was a good choice for him to begin with. Anyways, as soon as he picked it up you could just tell it was too big for him. He's a smaller guy 5'5". What would be a good long gun for him to pick up that's reasonably affordable to get into? The m1a was $1700 with the stainless steel barrel, no mount or scope.

100-300 yards get him an AR15. No recoil, cheap enough ammo, no big learning curve, infinitely customizable, can be pushed greater distances.

Edit - I meant AR15 added clarification.

Last edited:
Well are you after a bolt rifle or a semi auto? I would forgot the semi auto, especially if the M1A was too big. Any AR-10 (I assumed you were after .308 since you mentioned the m1a but I may be wrong) platform is going to be heavy, expensive, and probably not right for him.

I would look into a Remington 700 SPS tactical. It has the nice shorter 20" barrel on there. It will do everything he needs it to and more for that distance and you're looking at about $500 for a used one. Then you/your grandfather can add any options, accessories, and other pretty things you want to make it fit you better.

Also a Savage 10 would be a nice choice too.

.223 has more factory ammo choices, good 100-300 yard affordable match ammo available and excellent barrel life.