• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need some quick lathe advice

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Going to look at an older south bed lathe today. Person will take 1500 probably less.

Has had a motor replacement 5hp is way to much for the belt drive so will need to be replaced, family owned for the last 12-15 years.

Probably a 1.5 spindle bore and over 24 inches through the headstock so i would have to do all threading/chambering through a spider on the outboard side. (is this an issue?

will this work good enough for gunsmithing until i can get a nice 10k dollar unit?

only picture and information i have.
5hp 3ph motor
belt drive
quick change gears
13" swing and 45" between centers. It comes with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck.

5Nf5H55Jb3Kf3Gd3L5c2la58d4c291268112d.jpg

I would have to do all threading and chambering like this

action_blueprinting_jig.jpg

Re: Need some quick lathe advice

It is an older SBL known as a "single tumbler" on the quick change gear box. The 13" X 4 1/2' is ideal size for a gunsmith lathe. Accesories and attachments are availble on eBay at reasonable cost if the unit is not already equiped with <span style="font-weight: bold">steady and follower rest</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">Drawbar and collets </span>are especially handy. Must have good condition <span style="font-weight: bold">3 and 4 jaw chucks</span>.
The wear at and near the head stock is the most critical consideration. A couple thousandts is typical, 8 to 10 thousandts is profound wear. Before spending the money review the listings on eBay for similar machines. E CAVEAT EMPTOR!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fltdkgrn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is an older SBL known as a "single tumbler" on the quick change gear box. The 13" X 4 1/2' is ideal size for a gunsmith lathe. Accesories and attachments are availble on eBay at reasonable cost if the unit is not already equiped with <span style="font-weight: bold">steady and follower rest</span>. <span style="font-weight: bold">Drawbar and collets </span>are especially handy. Must have good condition <span style="font-weight: bold">3 and 4 jaw chucks</span>.
The wear at and near the head stock is the most critical cosideration. A couple thousandts is typical, 8 to 10 thousandts is profound wear. Before spending the money review the listings on eBay for similar machines. E CAVEAT EMPTOR! </div></div>

Couldnt find anything that was a close match.

How do you measure the bed wear to that fine of a measurement besides tighening up the lock so its snug and moveing the carrage full travel?

I almost bought the same lathe a few years back. What I found is parts are tough to get and they are odd machines in the sb line. I thought it to be a bit light for its size, although I think the one I was looking at was a 60". If it is in good shape, and all the gears and hard parts are good, it will last forever. The cost and frustration to fix one would kill you if it needs work....keep that in mind.

I have built a bunch of rifles on a 13x40 south bend and still am

To measure wear take a piece of drill rod maybe 18" and chuck in 3 jaw, mount dial test indicator in tool post and run carriage back and forth from head stock to tail stock. Machine does not have to be running. With a good straight piece of drill rod you do not really need to center with tail stock. A easy place to find nice rods are printers. Take apart while careful not to bend. Good luck!

I would try to hold out for something a little more current. This one looks like the girls left over at closing time. They will do the job I but you won't be proud of it later. I believe your lathe should be the flagship of your machinery fleet and a solid indicater of your commitment to the profession.

I have the SB Heavy Ten which is smaller, but can do all the same work. I have built many rifles on it, to include bench rest rifles. 5 HP is not to much, it just means that it will never know it's under load when doing gunsmith work.

Mine is a 1988 model, and I bought it used in good condition. There are a ton of good replacement parts on eBay for it also. I'm a bit anal, and like things perfect, so if I knew and trusted someone who could make it like new, I would have it done. I honestly love my little lathe, even more than my 13x40 Clausing Colchester lathe with all it's bells and whistles.

Best of luck to you.