• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some recommendations for AR10 build

thekubiaks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
39th Parallel
I am in the market for a DPMS SASS. I like everything about the gun but know I am already going to do some upgrades. At a minimum, I will replace the barrel with a 20" Krieger.

SO, my question is, should I do something like get a DPMS SASS lower and build the upper piece by piece??

I am trying to avoid buying a new SASS and then throwing out the barrel (wastes $$$). It should be cheaper to build this in pieces. Any recommendations on how to proceed??? Thanks!

Re: Need some recommendations for AR10 build

or just get a GAP 10 and be done. the price will probably be about the same after you get all the high dollar accessories. at least with a GAP you'll get 3/4moa gurantee.

Are you sure you want a 20" barrel? How far do you intend to shoot it? I have an 18" that's good to go to at least 800 yards with FGMM 175 (maybe more, just haven't have the chance to shoot farther). The AR-10 platform can get heavy, so a heavy barrel that's 2" shorter can make a big difference in weight and portability.

I've been running numbers on what things are going to cost for an "out of the box" that will need upgrades or an "out of the box" that will be ready to go as I want it from the factory. What I'm finding is that I'm not be far off (if not over) what I would get from LMT, POF, Noveske, GAP or others with good reps. Now that's for buying a full rifle to start and moding it.

If you are going to build.. I say do a full build.. Get a good matched upper/lower and do it right.

Can't wait to see the final product either way.

Cheers,
Hawk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or just get a GAP 10 and be done. the price will probably be about the same after you get all the high dollar accessories. at least with a GAP you'll get 3/4moa gurantee. </div></div>

Totally agree..

The new GAP10 is supposed to be bad ass.

Jered Joplin could build you a bad ass AR10 pattern rifle.

And the LaRue OBR is a bad bastard. I have only had mine a few weeks and it is boringly easy out to the farthest I shot it yet, 575 yards. (mine is just a 16" barrel, too. Not hard to get 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100, and I believe it is going to be fine to 1K with 175 match kings. Will know soon.)

I would do one of the 3 mentioned above.

my advice for a AR platform is as follows...

if its a DPMS....throw it in the garbage where it belongs...

bench

I'd go with APA. They are building me one right now. I'm sure that the gap will shoot fn great, but I don't like the pof upper receiver and I don't know why they went with it. the pic rail on an AR should be machined into the upper, not screwed on. Mine has come loose a few times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go with APA. They are building me one right now. I'm sure that the gap will shoot fn great, but I don't like the pof upper receiver and I don't know why they went with it. the pic rail on an AR should be machined into the upper, not screwed on. Mine has come loose a few times.

</div></div>
i love APA...i have several APA(patriot arms) bolt guns....i just cant afford there prices anymore....GAP and la precision are my go to guys now...

once i get a better job....i will make a return to APA
grin.gif

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or just get a GAP 10 and be done. the price will probably be about the same after you get all the high dollar accessories. at least with a GAP you'll get 3/4moa gurantee. </div></div>

GAP 10 looks like a definite possibility. What ammo are you shooting and what accuracy ?? Thanks for the replies.

sometimes i quote myself

"its all about barrels and triggers".....boltripper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes i quote myself

"its all about barrels and triggers".....boltripper</div></div>

Just for small groups? What about reliability?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes i quote myself

Just for small groups? What about reliability?</div></div>

dude...................

First off, why replace the barrel? My understanding is that they shoot just fine stock.If it's more than that you're changing then I say build from the ground up.
DSC00646.jpg

ONLY DPMS parts are the upper and lower,has Magpul stock, Krieger barrel,Larue rail,PWS comp, Geiselle trigger,Larue mount,Troy BUIS and Leupold scope....shoots lights out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sometimes i quote myself

Just for small groups? What about reliability? </div></div>

Gotta have a piston for reliability. Maybe even two of them to be on the safe side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, why replace the barrel? My understanding is that they shoot just fine stock.</div></div>

They do, I have one. Accuracy isn't a problem & it's probably the most consistent and not-finicky-eating barrel I have.

The downsides to the DPMS SASS are weight and DPMS QC. I wouldn't buy one unless I got to visually inspect it first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my advice for a AR platform is as follows...

if its a DPMS....throw it in the garbage where it belongs...

bench </div></div>

Doh!