• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some scope ideas, 2 rifles.

Savageshooter99

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Ok, I got a little "jiggy" with it this black Friday and wound up picking up a stag model 10 .308 18", which is also my first AR-10. I have been reading for a while trying to establish a good list of mid-range scopes I could utilize for this rifle, but all I keep coming up with are the common base like the Nikon M308 and UTG scopes, some Leupold, but the one's recommended seem to be unavailable (these reviews must have come out early in 2017).

I am completely out of the loop when it comes to optics, and am reading every day to educate myself further. I'd like to get some real world actual human advice from individuals that aren't just trying to push a product.

I do have a bit of a dilemma because I actually have 2 weapons that need a "quality" piece of glass.

One is a rig I have been working on for a few years but never really shot to any extent, that's a Remington 700 sps heavy barrel which I mated up with a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock with adjustable cheek weld. Currently it's outfitted with a Bushnell Elite tactical fixed 10 power mil-dot scope. I bought that on a whim a year or two ago when money was tight and I wanted something to just get me on paper at the range. It is currently running a DBM, but I have considered putting it in a much nicer chassis and focusing more on it to be my long range shooter. That B&C stock is just too heavy, and it's a beast to pack around.

The 2nd of course is the Stag Model 10 18" .308.

To me, I would imagine that the Rem 700 is going to pull off better accuracy overall then the AR-10 ever would, so my first instinct is to put really good glass on the Remington, and go for something more rough handling and versatile for the AR-10.

That being said, Here's the breakdown.

Rifle 1: Remington 700 sps .308 set up for range only

.Primary usage will be in good weather with good lighting, unlikely to be used in lower light or rough weather.
Frequency of shooting, probably about 3-4 times a year if I'm lucky.
Needs to be great at 100-300 yards on view, good at 500 yards, and fair/acceptable at 1000. Will rarely shoot out past 500 but I'd like to have the advantage.
FFP is a big interest to me, especially with long range work, price goes up here, I know. Reticle with adjustment info would be nice, vs the old mil-dot.
At least a 30mm tube would be key, more light = more sight.
Turret controls are preferred as well, although I am no expert, I'd like to figure out how to dial in and back to zero when needed, and without unscrewing caps.
Budget is 1k-1500 if at all possible. Can probably go up to 2k, but it would really have be worth it.

Rifle 2: Stag Model 10 18" AR-10 in .308, flat top rail.

Primary use, range days, with occasional deer hunting trips.
Frequency of use, probably 10-12 times a year if lucky.
Needs to be great at 100 yards, good at 300 yards, fair at 500, maybe on paper at least at 1000?
Any FP is ok here, but again FFP would be of interest.
30mm tube preferred.
Turret controls here also, quick dial-ins would be nice.
Budget, 500-1000 maybe, up to 1500 if need be.
Scope would need to be a little rugged, able to be tossed around more than an average range gun, after all an AR-10 is a battle rifle first. Good warranty and replacement would be a perk.
I will likely use back-up offset battle sights here for close range stuff.

Things I've looked at so far:

Nikon M308, which keeps coming up on search after search. Seems to do well in good conditions but fogs some in bad. Saw some relatively negative reviews.
NightForce SHV series. FFP and pretty sharp, but large objective. Seems better suited for the Remmy than the AR.
Bushnell Elite Tactical G2DMR FFP 6x24x50. Yeah I know it's a Bushnell, but it's got some decent reviews.
Burris XTR II, gets some good feedback from my local range guys, seems to be out of stock everywhere though.

I greatly appreciate any suggestions and or advice. I am a noob, let that be known. I typically fiddle with cheap 3x9 scopes on cheap rifles like your entry level hunting rifles. All of my AR-15's are equipped with reflex sights, so optics are alien to me in many ways.

I have some good teachers that can get me where I need to be, but I gotta show up prepared with half-way good equipment or I'm not gonna get anywhere.

Shooting is something I do mainly for fun, as most of us do. That's really all I want to get out of it. Having the right equipment from day 1 makes the fun factor go way up. The buy once cry once factor is at play here. I'd rather not have to replace and replace things because I thought I knew it all from some online articles and reviews. I trust others that are in the same boat with me!

Pick me apart, I'm ready for it :)

MOA or Mil, do you have a preference?

For the rem 700 a used gen 1 razor 5-20 would be a great choice. You might even be able to find a deal on a used gen II razor 4.5-27 for your price range, under $2k and it would be worth it to upgrade to it IMO. Note they are heavy scopes.

for stag, pst gen II 3-15 would be a good option.

a plus if you go with the same brand for both scopes is you could probably get the same reticle for both. if you get the gen II razor and pst gen II, you can get the same ebr-2c reticle in both. and its a really nice one. I like vortex scopes, everyone has different opinions. all the ones i have had have worked great. and they have an incredible warranty that spans the life of the scope, so if you buy used you still get the warranty.

I'd be leaning more to MOA than MIL. I'm most farmiliar with MOA scopes. However, it seems MIL is more readily available and more of what pro shooters gravitate to. I guess I could learn something new.

As for Vortex, I'll have to do more research on them. I've got a bad taste in my mouth over most of their lower end equipment. I've not found their products to be very reliable. I've had both of their mainstream red dot sights, both had a halo or a 2nd dot, which made it frustrating to shoot on the 15's. I stepped up to EO tech and Aimpoint and haven't had any complaints so far. I also have read a lot about them having some issues, but I may be very wrong, I just haven't looked into the upper end product yet. I know a lot of people use them. The warranty transfer is good news either way.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit: Looks like both of those pulled in some good reviews. They are going on the list. The PST especially for the Stag.

Last edited:
First, decide what features you NEED, followed by ones you "want" but can compromise on.
Decide a magnification range you want for both.
Next, set price.

Not a big fan of the M308 scope, but the new Nikon tactical line is worth looking at.
For the very budget conscious, the Mueller Tac II is an excellent option, though they remain mil/moa.
These Weavers are DANDY scopes, and would work well on the AR:
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-gr...pe-3-10x40mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html

otherwise, the Weaver 3-15 EMDR tactical scope is a very good option, though the reticle is lacking.
Burris XTR II, Sightron S-Tac, Vortex PST II are all worthy of consideration and tend to occupy the next level up in quality and features

Primary Arms and Sightmark have entered the fray of higher end Japanese made scopes that compete with the likes of the Razor, Athlon Cronus etc...

Looks good, I will look them on. While we are on the subject, where did Athlon come about? I have read some things about them but really didn't know where to place them in the hierarchy.

Thanks again.

Burris XTR II's being hard to get is commonplace. After 3 1/2 years on the market they still sell as fast as Burris can make them. Even with an increasingly expanded production. But that's definitely a good sign that the scope has high demand and people really like it.

The MoA SCR reticle is a very good reticle. Has uncapped turrets, and 34mm tube. If you don't need illumination it cuts another $150 off the price. It gives you a 2-10x44, 3-15x50, 4-20x50, and 5-25x50 to choose from.

I run a bunch of them on 3 gun, PRS gas gun and bolt gun series rifles, as well as a 300 Norma mag and 6.5 Grendel for hunting. They are reliable and very durable. There's a good reason they are still popular. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the Burris feedback. Seems like it's worth considering. I will have to try and track one down, but I have heard some personal comments with regards to the XTR being pretty decent. Glad to hear someone else say it.

The owner of this website says the XTR II is one of his favorite scopes under $1500. He's seen a bunch of them in his classes and never seen one go down or fail to perform.

Pretty high praise from a guy who gets to shoot, teach, and review optics and equipment for a living.

That is correct. Anyone with that much experience that gives praise to any component probably knows what he's talking about. I have to say it's not my favorite reticle, but it's good. There may be more than one option, I just haven't found it yet. The Bushnell Elite Tactical Christmas tree reticle is starting to win me over, but it's not the only one out there. Seems like corrections would be simplified using it. What do I know though, I am in learning mode. That and I can't really bring myself to pass over some of these other brands for a Bushnell.

However, if I look at most of the top end scopes, they are using a similar reticle to the Burris. Maybe It will just have to grow on me. Luckily I have plenty of time to make a purchase, I want to do as much research as I can up front.

Again, thanks for the feedback!