• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some shoe suggestions

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
This is one of those things I'm pretty clueless about. But I really wish to start running again, and hopefully if I am fast enough, competetive short distance sprints in this years track and field season.

Alright, I want to start off in the gym getting my endurance up for the time being. My short term goal is to work back to a 5k and eventually doing at least one a week in my workout schedule in addition to any other planned running activities. I did some reading on this topic over at runnersworld.com and figured out that my feet fit best in 9.5-10 sized shoes with D width (average?) if that means anything to you all.

Two years ago, when I was running very often and competing in short distance sprints on my school's track team, I had been using Nike Air Pegasus something or other (bargain bin for like 30 bucks...) that were far less than ideal. I didn't have money to buy better shoes and they were much better than my Vans that I tried to run in, even though they were half a size too small and very uncomfortable because of it. When I finally did have money to spend on good shoes, my coach informed us that it was time to start running in our spikes. So I spent the money on decent spikes instead and have sprinted in them a grand total of 350 meters. I got very sick for two weeks and was forced to quit the sport for the remainder of the year because i couldn't get my rythm back in time and had missed two meets and had no hope of training in the heat to get back into it in time.

Since then I have fallen in love with a couple different sports that have taught me some great lessons. First off, road biking: Taught me that spending 4+ hours in uncomfortable shoes at the top of your performance isn't fun at all. It also taught me that spending money on quality shoes is well worth it. After that, Mountain biking: This taught me that you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a great shoe. In fact, I have found that I prefer skating shoes for platform peddles. So in effect this sport taught me that having the right shoes doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Now I believe I've found what I want for running on flat ground and training at the gym and such. Nike Free Run+ 2 seem to fit my price range nicely (sub $100, these are $90) and have a great many good reviews and very few bad ones. I haven't had a chance to wear a pair yet but will make it a point to. I do like minimalist shoes and don't think I will be happy with anything else. Does my choice sound reasonable for the purpose I have?

The next type I want to look into is something for Trail Running and Hiking. I won't wear anything with a "high-top" because my ankles need to be free. I obviously need something with good grip and durability. I also don't wish to spend very much on these. As they will be a dual purpose shoe I can see spending maybe a little over $100 on them. I've always read that Merrell makes great hiking shoes. So I thought maybe going with something from them would be smart, perhaps one of their Trail Glove series? I like the *idea* of the whole "barefoot" thing, but am weary of it because I live in Arizona and need something protecting my feet from all the thorns and jagged rocks that cover the landscape, at least with respect to the time spent off of the pavement.

Next up is something for hunting. I'm lost, need guidance here. Every hunting specific shoe I’ve come across is a boot in some way shape or form. And all of the shoes I would consider using just aren't colored right for the job. The thought crossed my mind to get combat boots, but is that really necessary? In three-four years I'll be in military anyways so considering that would it be smart to buy a pair? If so, then what brand? I haven't done much research as far as this goes. I am an active hunter though, so I won't be sitting around in one spot very much. Sometimes I'll be sitting still; more often I'll be walking quite a ways to the spot/stand, and other times I’ll be doing nothing but walking around, possibly for several miles. So comfort levels do make a difference, and it gets hot here in Arizona (with very little chance of rain by the way).

While I'm on the subject, I think I should ask about proper socks too. So as far as athletic specific socks I do know what I'm looking for, but when it comes to the trail running/hiking should I look for the same socks as for running and bicycling or should they be more oriented towards hunting/hiking socks. Meaning thick warm socks vs. thin moisture wicking socks?

Am I on the right path?

Sincerely,
-Dylan

Re: Need some shoe suggestions

Inov-8 will take care of the first 2 needs

You can find them at shoemart.com or zappos plus the
the inov8 site has a online locator.

The number of the shoe indicates the thickness of the sole
ex. F-230 Lite
check the site youll figure it out

I beat the shit out of my shoes 6 days a week my last pair lasted just about 2 years, F-230 lites

Hope this helps

AL

I'll be giving those a good hard look! Thanks for the suggestion.

If you have a running shop around you that would be your best bet. I was shocked when I actually went into an actual running store when I was still in the Army. They checked my stride for pronation/supination width and a dead on length. They knew exactly what shoes I should put on. I ended up shaving almost a full minute off of my 2-mile run time. You may end up paying just a hair more than you would like but it is worth it. So many people don't like a certain shoe because the they either pronate or supinate and they get a shoe that doesn;t correct or corrects for the wrong thing.

Just fyi,
Supination means the runners foot has a tendency to impact the outside of the foot, and cause the ankle to roll outward. If you have ever sprained an ankle walking or hiking, and the outside of you ankle hurts, that is from supination. That doesn't mean you are a supinator, just you have experienced the result of it before. This is more common with high arches.
In pronation the foot comes down more heavily on the inner foot, causing the ankle to roll inward. Most people are slight pronators, which requires a basic motion control shoe. People with flat feet most typically have heavy pronation issues.

Faulball, thanks for the explanations. I looked into that already and I am neither of those two things. And i'm not very picky on how the shoe feels until after a few miles have been logged, that's when it really starts to make a difference. But until then I don't notice much from shoe to shoe.

Tim K, I have been through the 5 finger thread already and I will never be sold on one of those shoes. I just couldn't do it, but something along the same lines (minus the split toe design) is what I'm looking for if it's advisable. That's why I mentioned the two shoes that i did.

Thanks for the help so far (albeit very scarce) and keep the suggestions coming...

Terror, to each his own, of course, but I just want to say that I have been using the five fingers shoes for about a month now. I thought they looked strange at first, too, but I have worn no other shoe since I put them on, and my arches have gotten higher since I have been wearing them. YMMV.

Good luck whatever you get.

Sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly. I have a pair of trail gloves that I use in addition to the 5 fingers. I prefer the 5 Fingers, but the trail gloves are also pretty nice. Mine chew up the tops of my baby soft feet, but both my sister and wife have them and neither have the same problem.

Merril makes yet another minimalist shoe that I just saw in the gym yesterday. It's the same concept but with what looks like a leather upper instead of mesh. The wearer loved them and had had no problems with blisters. I wish I had seen them before I bought the trail gloves.

I agreee with faulball!!

you should go to a running specialty type store where the workers are knowledgable on which shoe is best with each foot type.

I used to go to footlocker and get the coolest looking Asics as I was given these shoes while wrestling in college. When I went to my local running store called, "Runners High" the owner looked at the way I walked, put me on a machine that shows my pressure points and arch type, and came out with 5 different shoes to try and walk around with. He then told me that for running shoes I need to get a size bigger for my toes to expand and breath. He also told me that I dont need shoe inserts because the shoes that I wear already have the support in them. to add, he said that at footlocker or where ever, the kid associate's with no knowledge on foot type will try to sell you a shoe insert. He verified that I dont need insert by putting me back on the machine and the insert did not improve the pressure point..

in short, going to a specialty running store will save you a lot of time, you can learn a thing or two about shoe types, and will make you feel comfortable when running..

My wife and I both run marathons and half marathons every chance we get. She has ran a few more than me I must admit, but we both wear pearl izumi's. Check em out... you wont be disappointed!

Five Finger Death Punch are good for the feet and try Mizuno runners, great shoes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm just going to go to a running specialty shop and try on a bunch of shoes. I'll probably end up with Nike like always. Or Asics, they're good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agreee with faulball!!

you should go to a running specialty type store where the workers are knowledgable on which shoe is best with each foot type.

I used to go to footlocker and get the coolest looking Asics as I was given these shoes while wrestling in college. When I went to my local running store called, "Runners High" the owner looked at the way I walked, put me on a machine that shows my pressure points and arch type, and came out with 5 different shoes to try and walk around with. He then told me that for running shoes I need to get a size bigger for my toes to expand and breath. He also told me that I dont need shoe inserts because the shoes that I wear already have the support in them. to add, he said that at footlocker or where ever, the kid associate's with no knowledge on foot type will try to sell you a shoe insert. He verified that I dont need insert by putting me back on the machine and the insert did not improve the pressure point..

in short, going to a specialty running store will save you a lot of time, you can learn a thing or two about shoe types, and will make you feel comfortable when running.. </div></div>

Yes! If you can go to a actual running store then GO! Majority of the stores will let you go outside and run in the shoes to make sure you feel good in them. Or some stores actually run you on a treadmill and record you running to fit you for the best shoes.

I myself have been wearing saucony kinvara for the past year. I'm on my second pair due to them being "minimalist shoes".

Ugh, as much as I hate to admit it anywhere besides on the internet, I have been reading countless articles on Vibram and their products. I had a thought in my mind from somewhere that they were $200+ and I don't know where that came from, but now that I know they are reasonably priced shoes, I am giving them a harder look. I still don't like the looks of them, but it does grow on me each day. So, if when I take the time to go to my dad's favorite running specialty shop and they have them in stock I will try on a pair. Being that i've never once read a bad review on them (and i've tried to find them too; they don't exist) I have to aknowledge that they're a solid product. And thus they deserve as much of a chance as any other shoe i'd be looking at.

I think they'd be good for track practice too in a few months when the season starts. Looking at them, they seem to be very similar to my spikes so it should be good for me maybe.

Also, on a side note, I love track spikes. If I wasn't addicted to guns/archery i'd have so many pairs of spikes. Looking at Nike's site the other day I about ruined my keyboard drooling over a pair...

47c14_vff-one-finger-235x300.jpg

Hope that helps
grin.gif

Seriously though, they are amazing. Just make sure you transition slowly...very slowly.