• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need some suggestions on food plot prep

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Ok here is my dilemma. I got an area cut down and sprayed with round up. I can't afford to get it tilled in this year. I am going to be planting Winter Greens once it done.

I have been trying to come up with a way to fabricate a rake of some sort to loosen the top 1/2" or so of dirt just so the seed can be packed into the soil. So far my ideas are to use some 2x6's to make a frame 4'x2' and drive a bunch of nails through it to rough up the ground some. I have also thought of using some steel to fabricate the same size frame with some 4" rerod. Just wondering if anyone else has some ideas they can throw out?

Re: Need some suggestions on food plot prep

And what the hell are one of those? I don't work on a farm LOL

if your gonna broadcast seeds your gonna need to break up the soil enough to get a decent bed once you pack em down... in order to do that you might need something heavier than the hog panels mentioned above... they do make disc's/mini cultivators for use with an atv, if you could rent one. Then again your soil is probably much easier to break than ours is, so maybe your lighter options will work...

Thanks for all the input guys. I ran across a large farm fence gate that I am thinking of drilling holes through and putting a bunch of 3/8"x3" bolts through.

The dirt here when I am going to be doing this is mainly sand. I just will have to go around the perk test holes that are out there.

For about $500 you can buy a small disk that pulls behind an atv. They work ok in small areas. You can place some steel beams on top to add cutting weight