• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need some suppressor wisdom.

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I just bought an AR pistol in 9mm for a home defense/ bugout gun and thinking of suppressing it. I'm trying to decide if I should go for a dedicated 9mm suppressor or multi caliber such as the Rugged Alaskan 360. I'm leaning towards the Rugged Alaskan but wondering if I'm giving up anything other than weight? I have a TBAC that I switch back and forth on my bolt rifles and I don't really want/ need to suppress my CC pistols so I would get a dedicated mount (not the RUM) and let it live on my AR-9. I know that sounds like the territory of a dedicated 9mm can BUT, who knows what else I may want to suppress that the TBAC isn't rated for (rapid fire AR). The Alaskan sounds like the perfect next purchase....what am I missing?

You can rapid fire an Ultra (assuming that's what you have), you just can't burn it down.

It's nice to be able to throw a can on a 9mm pistol.

PCC's have the same type of blowback noise issue as almost all other semi rifles/pistols. More suppression at the muzzle is almost always louder at the port. But for a dedicated PCC can, I'd go for a big volume 9mm can.

Living on an AR9 look at the rex silentium cans.

Reactions: YotaEer
My vote is for a dedicated 9mm can. Typically those multi caliber rifle cans are much bigger, longer and heavier.

9mm in and of itself is relatively easy to suppress (the physics of it) so unless you have a very restricted budget or you already have other things to suppress in those bigger calibers then just get a dedicated 9mm can.

On a PCC especially shooting with a configurable 9mm can it will give better performance as well as being easier to handle and shoot. You can even put a K can on there and it will be nice.

In general planning out the overall configuration including the rifle/pistol will definitely give better long term overall satisfaction.

Reactions: SWWI Shooter
So I went Rugged Obsidian 9mm. FLY9 and Alaskan weren’t out yet. On a PCC weight isn’t as much of a concern anyways. Works on a lot of stuff. Including 22lr as its user serviceable. Probably should have gone a larger OD can if I didn’t want it for pistol as well, sort of a novelty thing but still fun. The 9mm cans are generally smaller than the .45 cans.

Depending on all what you’d like to suppress, I’d be looking hard at,
- TBAC Fly 9
- Dead Air Wolfman
- Rugged Alaskan
- Rugged Obsidian

The short vs long configurations is nice, running it short on a 22 is just as good as long.

Home build Form 1 SBR, 5” CMMG delayed radial blowback bcg/barrel kit and 9mm converted magazines.

C3F0400E-9EBB-4AE2-811B-23FE45111171.jpeg

DCAE8FB7-D469-4B77-A8B3-8FEF7FEDDA15.jpeg

D6031890-7505-46FD-9DF9-1984819326C2.jpeg

I'd personally go dedicated with a high flow rate silencer such as the Resilient RS9. Full auto rated and designed for direct blow back pcc's.

I never did get the hang of the Slide Fire, but my son had it down pat.

CMMG dedicated 9mm lower, RRA factory upper, SWR Trident-9 can.

You can rapid fire an Ultra (assuming that's what you have), you just can't burn it down.

It's nice to be able to throw a can on a 9mm pistol.

PCC's have the same type of blowback noise issue as almost all other semi rifles/pistols. More suppression at the muzzle is almost always louder at the port. But for a dedicated PCC can, I'd go for a big volume 9mm can.
Yes, I have an TBAC ultra but 30 cal so won't work on the 9mm.
So what you're saying is that a dedicated 9mm can will have less back pressure/ blow back noise than a can that is also rated for rifles? I've been curious if larger volume (rifle rated) can might not create less back pressure than a smaller dedicated can because of the can volume. So that is kind of the essence of the question. Since I'm not putting it on a pistol, weight (within reason) isn't a deciding factor. It is more the sound level at the ear IF I'm ever required to get up in the middle of the night and discharge it in the house without ear protection. I know from experience with my rifle, that even with a suppressor, it's still plenty loud. If you tell me that a suppressed PCC is still going to blow out my ears if I had to shoot it inside, I may just decide to keep the ear protection stored by the gun (as I do now), keep my linear compensator mounted, and save my $1500.

Last edited:
Yes, I have an TBAC ultra but 30 cal so won't work on the 9mm.
So what you're saying is that a dedicated 9mm can will have less back pressure/ blow back noise than a can that is also rated for rifles? I've been curious if larger volume (rifle rated) can might not create less back pressure than a smaller dedicated can because of the can volume. So that is kind of the essence of the question. Since I'm not putting it on a pistol, weight (within reason) isn't a deciding factor. It is more the sound level at the ear IF I'm ever required to get up in the middle of the night and discharge it in the house without ear protection. I know from experience with my rifle, that even with a suppressor, it's still plenty loud. If you tell me that a suppressed PCC is still going to blow out my ears if I had to shoot it inside, I may just decide to keep the ear protection stored by the gun (as I do now), keep my linear compensator mounted, and save my $1500.

If you are shooting like 147gr hst subs suppressed in a hallway it's definitely not going to be movie quiet but it shouldn't blow your ear drums out. It'll still might be loud-ish.

I'd highly recommend that RS9. Shooting it back to back against my dead air Wolfman it was noticeably quieter to me as the shooter with less blowback in my face.

So what is different about a pistol suppressor that gives less blow back at the action? It seems that if there is less back pressure, then there would also be less silencing at the muzzle (less effective silencing) . Not trying to argue, just trying to understand the engineering/ principles of silencing so I can make a more informed decision.

No love for the silencerco options? Omega k, 36M, Hybrid, potentially the Osprey. Seems like they have a few options that'll work. I've run my Hybrid 46 on my 45colt lever, 45acp USP, and 9mm P226. It suppresses pistols pretty well but is a tad on the heavy side. It's definitely rifle rated and works well for most any rifle you may have. Maybe take a look at those.

So I went Rugged Obsidian 9mm. FLY9 and Alaskan weren’t out yet. On a PCC weight isn’t as much of a concern anyways. Works on a lot of stuff. Including 22lr as its user serviceable. Probably should have gone a larger OD can if I didn’t want it for pistol as well, sort of a novelty thing but still fun. The 9mm cans are generally smaller than the .45 cans.

Depending on all what you’d like to suppress, I’d be looking hard at,
- TBAC Fly 9
- Dead Air Wolfman
- Rugged Alaskan
- Rugged Obsidian

The short vs long configurations is nice, running it short on a 22 is just as good as long.

Home build Form 1 SBR, 5” CMMG delayed radial blowback bcg/barrel kit and 9mm converted magazines.

View attachment 8042020
View attachment 8042021
View attachment 8042022
Be very, very careful that you get the 3 Lug locked up, each and every time you go to shoot it. I don't know if it's been resolved, but my Rugged 3 Lug Adapter can be turned "past" lockup when installing it, effectively meaning it's unlocked.

Reactions: E. Bryant
No love for the silencerco options? Omega k, 36M, Hybrid, potentially the Osprey. Seems like they have a few options that'll work. I've run my Hybrid 46 on my 45colt lever, 45acp USP, and 9mm P226. It suppresses pistols pretty well but is a tad on the heavy side. It's definitely rifle rated and works well for most any rifle you may have. Maybe take a look at those.
Thanks. Those are also on my radar, especially the 36m... Although that stepdown design has me scratching my head. If you're going to have the length anyway, why not keep it full diameter for more volume?

Be very, very careful that you get the 3 Lug locked up, each and every time you go to shoot it. I don't know if it's been resolved, but my Rugged 3 Lug Adapter can be turned "past" lockup when installing it, effectively meaning it's unlocked.

Thanks for the heads up, just checked, mines solid, can’t force it past.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
So what is different about a pistol suppressor that gives less blow back at the action? It seems that if there is less back pressure, then there would also be less silencing at the muzzle (less effective silencing) . Not trying to argue, just trying to understand the engineering/ principles of silencing so I can make a more informed decision.

Flow rate.

It's a give and take, also depends on the design. Some designs routing gas to an outer annulus are able to increase flow rate without heavily sacrificing muzzle suppression. A lot of companies try to increase flow rate via overbore, this method is generally less effective. Quiter to you the shooter with less blow back and less muzzle suppression or louder to you, more blow back but quieter at the muzzle.

So less effective is subjective. Do you want it quiter to you with less gas in your face or quieter to someone standing next to you?