• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need some Tech help,

yourshoesareuntied

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2009
Went out with my new Rem 700 VTR got it sighted in and enjoyed knocking off some silhouette chickens at 237 yards. My issue is I am left with only 2 MOA on the right windage setting. I am set up with a Burris Fullfield Tac II with the target turrets 4.5-14x42mm set on Burris tactical base (two piece) and the Burris tactical scope rings. What could I have done wrong? I did not lap the ring’s could this be the cause, I have taken the scope off and don’t see any ring marks… I was thinking about putting on a set of rings that allow for windage.. but I like the way the Burris rings look and they cost a twice as much as the windage ones and I would like to not waste my money.

Thank you for your time folks

Re: Need some Tech help,

Get a one piece 1913 spec base and a decent set of rings from one of the guys herein, ie, US Optics, Seekins, Badger, Ken Ferrel. The US Optics MkIII rings do windage adjustment real nice.

If you want to go through this, try this first:
remove the top half of the rings. Now, slowly rotate the scope and look at the center of the reticle. If it describes and arc, adjust the el and wind knobs as you turn until the reticle stays centered. Now you have just mechanically centered your scope.
Correctly mount the top half of the rings and torque to 15"#. Boresight the piece. You should have all your windage at this point. If not, lap the rings, and start the process over. If you are still having issues, go to the one piece base and the matching rings. I like my US Optics rings and base. I also have Badger and TPS as well. To my knowledge, the USO Mark III's are the only windage adjustable rings that are worth their weight.

Re: Need some Tech help,

Yea my buddy that has helped me get started in all this suggested the one piece base but with 20 or 30 MOA so we could keep more of my elevation adjustments as well. I hope I can get the Burris rings to work, fyi: I have never spent this much money on an optics setup and I am aware that I have just scratched the surface. My rings and base alone cost more then I have ever previously spent on an entire scope..for me the scope was an after thought.. I’m new in the long gun would, well at least the ones that come out of the box without iron sights.