• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need suggestions for a complete upper

FSRbikr98

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
Long Island, NY
Need some advise

Last winter I bought a stripped lower and a spikes tactical enhanced parts kit. While working at my range I assembled the lower, and was able to borrow a bushmaster
Upper to function check everything.

I now really want to finish the rifle, but am having a very hard time deciding what upper to get. I was looking at some of the bravo company stuff but almost everything is out of stock.

I know that I do not want a piston upper. The standard gaser will do.

I want to use it for training/shtf gun. I'd like a quad rail for future upgrades, but for the short term I want to train with irons.

Lastly it will not be a long range weapon, so I'd like to keep to a 16 inch barrel and carbine length gas system

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: Need suggestions for a complete upper

Budget? Also, with a 16" why would you not want to go mid-length gas system? Lengthening/softening the recoil pulse is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Budget? Also, with a 16" why would you not want to go mid-length gas system? Lengthening/softening the recoil pulse is a good thing. </div></div>

I'd like to spend no more then 800 if that is a possibility.

I am from NY, and even as a LEO overall length still has to be 16inches for the barrel. I think that the carbine length system will save weight being that it will have a shorter hand guard. I want it to be chambered in 556 so recoil is not that much of an issue.

I'm assuming you're wanting something a touch above garden variety DPMS/Bushmaster/etc. You can easily get into one of those for that much money.

Noveske has this one on sale, pinned at 16", lightweight and with BCG, for just a touch over your budget:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...ce=&status=

I would suggest calling around to some of the builders out there. It will be close, but I'm sure they can build you a really nice upper AT your budget. JD Machine, Specialized Dynamics, etc. Rainier runs specials all the time.

Even better is to just source the parts yourself and either assemble it yourself or find a smith that will do it for a nominal fee. That way you can get exactly what you're looking for and will probably save money while you're at it.

Focus on getting a good barrel and I highly recommend free floating it. Otherwise, have some fun with the build.

Good Grief.

Just go to the PSA Website and pick one of their complete uppers. Lots of choices in 16" priced from $400 up, and they are all good.

If I was looking for an upper with a 16" barrel, I'd definitely be looking at a midlength gas system. The rifle will just plain be more controllable.

If I was going to buy a complete upper, (in order of descending price) Noveske, Daniel Defense, Spike's/Bravo Company. I'm not saying that you can't get something just as good in each respectitve price range. I'm only saying that I seen this equipment run through the wringer and it kept on running. The only real plus that I could see from the Noveske is that the chrome lined Pac Nor barrels seem to be about as accurate as some match grade barrels.