• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need suggestions for new scope

Undrgrndprdcts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Currently using a 3.6-18 mk5 from my shorty rifle but needing another big scope for my new comp rifle. I was going to grab another mk5 7-35 but started looking around and I've seen people say optically they aren't that great compared to other offerings. I guess the main other contender is the gen 3 razor. Atacr 7-35 is an option but they are more expensive. I need something that resolves well at 900-1300. I shoot several different types of matches like kyl, sniper/team, prs, headhunters etc. I'm really needing something that will be good for small targets and mirage at longer distances.

Look at the Zeiss LRP S3s also.

Reactions: FuhQ
Look at the Zeiss LRP S3s also.
I did see the comparison thread about that one. It was never really on the radar. Is it too early to tell if that's a legit option or is it being used successfully now?

I did see the comparison thread about that one. It was never really on the radar. Is it too early to tell if that's a legit option or is it being used successfully now?
It is. They have been out about 10 months now. Why do you think that is too early? The Gen 3 Razor has only been out about 18 months.

It is. They have been out about 10 months now. Why do you think that is too early? The Gen 3 Razor has only been out about 18 months.
I don't I was just asking. I don't want to buy one and it have a bunch of issues. Zeiss generally has a good reputation, they just haven't been as prevalent as the other big names in the precision world. Where is the best place to get one and what is the pricing like?

Reactions: Rob01
Yup they haven’t been as active in the FFP scope market and came in first with their S5 5-25 and then after with their S3 4-25 and 6-36. I have both of the S3s and really like them. Great glass and the knobs are easy to read. The reticle is great for holds. It’s definitely worth a look in that price range.

As for the best place to buy, you can check with Hide vendors who sell them. If you are able to get on Expertvoice they have some excellent deals.

Reactions: Undrgrndprdcts
Yeah the Burris Pro is an excellent choice also. 12 mil Race dial and being tooless is nice. Good field of view and reticle also.

The Zeiss S3 6-36x56 is a LOT of scope for the money. I have one on my R700 5R .260 Rem. It's a beast. The glass is amazing, and the turrets are solid and repeatable. The reticle is really nice, and even at 36x the glass is still super clear. No CA that I can see. No IQ that I can see. IMO, it's good to go 100%.

IMG_8302.jpeg

IMG_8307.jpeg

The Burris XTR-IIIi 5-30x56 is damn-nice scope (I have one of these, as well), and the XTR-PRO is built entirely in the USA.

IMG_8875.jpeg

The ATACR 7-30x56 is on my radar for my next big scope upgrade purchase, but am still torn between the 5-25x56 or 7-30x56 with the MIL-XT reticles.

Yup the S3 is looked over by most as Zeiss isn't big in the FFP tactical realm but they did hit it out of the park with this one. I have the Burris Pro also and the Pro is really nice too but the glass on the S3 is a little better.

IMG_3255.jpg

I'd recommend the Sightron SVIII 5-40x56 for the best real world useable 1200+ yard scope for $2000-$2200 it's worth paying slightly more for this Sightron over the Razor Gen 3. The glass is closest to true tier 1 you'll get short of spending over $3000. Already compared it to the Burris XTR PRO, Razor Gen 3, Kahles and March. I like the wider eyebox in the March and Burris XTR PRO but sharpness and definition on the SVIII only the Kahles and March can match. You need a ZCO or Tangent Theta in order to beat the Sightron. Even though March is my personal favorite brand of high end scope to buy, I ended up buying several of these Sightron SVIIIs and with both reticles. The only negative are their sheer weight which is a couple ounces more than even the Razor Gen 3 at 49oz and there's no Burris Signature XTR rings which I prefer to use that fits their 40mm tubes but they do include their own 40mm rings with these scopes.