• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need suggestions for working pocket knife

Slash0311

Snafubar
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Southwest Indiana
    Im sick of knives that just aren't tough. I bought a brand new Case Muskrat today. As I was cutting simple cardboard, I could see the blade flexing and bending (but did stay straight).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Stockman size folder for a pocket that can withstand a little work? Ideally 2 or three blades but I may go a single blade for strenght now.

I carried a simple Buck for years and it never let me down. But as with too many things these days, new knives are just flashy pieces of shit that only look good on the freaking mall.

Reactions: spot1960
    The Benchmade Freek is a tough knife, handle is a bit longer than a Stockman. Spyderco Gayle Bradley is another good one in that size. I prefer the Spyderco knives for quality. I haven't owned the Gayle Bradley.
    Both knives are made of CPM M4, so you may want to invest in DMT stones or something similar if you haven't already.

The large trapper is the most useful folder I have ever found. My favorites are the old "Old Timer" knives from Schrade. There is no longer a Schrade knife co. but there are still plenty of Old Timer Large Trappers around. They are carbon steel and easy to resharpen. They will not do two elk, three bucks, one unicorn and a partridge in a pear tree without resharpening them. You can sharpen them with a small steel or diamond hone in the field and you will have a razor in about fifteen seconds. I still have two of the Schrades. One I have used for years and the another that is new. I wouldn't sell either for a hundred and fifty bucks.

I have both Case and Buck large trappers and find the Buck to be a much more satisfactory knife. I also have a large Buck Stockman which seems to be what you are looking for. It is a good knife and they also make it in a small version.

Reactions: Slash0311
    Ate you wanting a more traditional slip joint or is a locking blade an option? Also do you have a price range? Collector knives has some nice slippers with M390, albeit smaller than a trapper, but for a well built no nonsense slip joint I would look for a great eastern cutlery sodbuster. Locking knives are endless in options but I too favor Spyderco.

Ate you wanting a more traditional slip joint or is a locking blade an option? Also do you have a price range? Collector knives has some nice slippers with M390, albeit smaller than a trapper, but for a well built no nonsense slip joint I would look for a great eastern cutlery sodbuster. Locking knives are endless in options but I too favor Spyderco.

Im open to just about any options. I just edited my post. I had never heard of Collector Knives and I'm spending time on their site now. If anyone has any brands to recommend, Im happy to check them out.

I have a Lansky sharpener with diamond stones so resharpening won't be a problem. Ideally, I want a folder about the size of a stockman.

Thanx for all the replies and its giving me a lot to consider!

Last edited:
    I didn’t see a budget listed, knives can get wildly spendy.

What are your priorities? End all toughness and edge holding, or won’t rust? A little more info and I can give a more helpful answer. Have you considered a custom knife?

Is a folder a requirement? A small fixed blade can be made to be just about indestructible and it’ll never fail at the lock.

Priorities would be tough as nails, hold an edge but with a fine enough point to dig out a splinter. A folder about the size of a stockman or medium stockman. I don't like rust or blades that stain.

Price would be less than $200 but I can be flexible for the right knife.

@Slash0311 send me a PM about it, I might be able to help out. I’m starting some along the lines you mentioned and know some folks that have locking folders in that range that should have some available or can get one available quick.

On the budget side a Kershaw leek comes to mind, good sliver picking point. Knives are so personal and varying In what people like I am just spitballing. I like bigger folders like the spyderco Shaman and Manix 2 but also carry a benchmade 940 or Zero Tolerance 450 which sound more your size. Traditional style buck now has a lightweight 110 that I think is slimmer and lighter...but still a pretty good size knife. I have some Great Eastern Cutlery stuff that is great but stainless steel gec's are not as common as the carbon steel ones. Honestly there are so many good options out there it is easy to find what you want within your budget and get a good one.

For my EDC I usually have some cheaper in case I have to use it for something other than sticking or cutting. A couple of years ago I got a CRKT Hammond Cruiser for $17 that has been great blade. Holds a good edge. Easy to open and close with one hand. And has held to everything I’ve thrown at it.

I have more expensive blade that are very good. But I can’t say I would risk those blades trying to open a can of beans. I’ve done just that with the Cruiser without issue.

Im sick of knives that just aren't tough. I bought a brand new Case Muskrat today. As I was cutting simple cardboard, I could see the blade flexing and bending (but did stay straight).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a Stockman size folder for a pocket that can withstand a little work? Ideally 2 or three blades but I may go a single blade for strenght now.

I

I carried a simple Buck for years and it never let me down. But as with too many things these days, new knives are just flashy pieces of shit that only look good on the freaking mall.

What about one of the older Buck 110 folders? Can find them on eBay.

I would agree on that type but not sure what's out there and I don't trust ebay because of counterfeits.

Didn’t think of that. Take a peek on ExpertVoice? They have a few different knife companies on their currently and maybe one will fit your needs.

Cold Steel AK-47. Stupid name for a nice folder with a thumb plate for quick opening that is build like a brick shithouse. I had my first one for about 8 years of everyday carry for law enforcement work, fishing and shooting. It got a little crunchy on opening and closing so I exercised the lifetime warranty. I'm on year 10 of the replacement and it's still rock solid. I am NOT easy on gear. Good lock, easy to sharpen, ambidextrous and I still get compliments. I have a drawer full of knives including some heavy duty wazoo tactical ones. I carry my AK every day. No, I do not and have not worked for Cold Steel. You can still find the mini at Amazon, which meets your criteria.

My Dad carried a KABAR [ I think Trapper - two blade ] for 45+years you could shave with. I got it when he passed. Still a very good knife, but I don't use it. He used it for anything he needed a knife for. Hard pressed to beat it for the money.

In the $200 range, you should be able to find some kind of Zero Tolerance. They're built like tanks and have a killer warranty.

I carried a ZT 0301 for years and abused the shit out of it. Finally retired it to my safe a few years back.

Benchmade AFO II auto serrated drop point.
    - not too big
    - hell for strong
    - worth every penny at ~$250
    9C8D0587-F7A9-4BB6-ACA1-0748B18A7DE9.jpeg

Gerber Gator..... Gone the distance with me since 1991

So here is my .02 . Knives are job specific . Cutting cardboard use a box cutter . General use Old Timer or Shrade not stainless . You can run it across a stone and voila , shaving sharp . I use a Gerber Center Drive as my general use . EDC meat cutter is an Emerson . You need the right tools for the job . Cardboard , plastic strapping and daily abuse will trash an edge in stainless . And unless you really learn the process it's a pain in the ass to sharpen .

I ended up choosing a Kershaw Launch 6 auto. Its a little larger than what I wanted but the price was awesome. The blade was a little less that sharp. After touching it up with my Lansky, its sharp as hell. I could tell how hard the steel was so I hope it holds a good edge. But it also seems stout enough to stand up to the use I'll throw at it.

I also carry an Emerson Mini Commander but I don't use that for the "day-to-day" stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions!