• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need tires for new truck

sniper307

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2005
louisiana
Like the tittle says, need some tennis shoes for new truck. 2014 f-250 super duty 4x4.20inch rims . Looking for mud terrain. Always hard great service out of Toyo open country MT . They are my first choice but high as giraffe pussy for 35x12.50x20. Any suggestions are should I pony up the 1800.00 for a set?

I have been extremely pleased with my Hankooks. Treadwear ratings like Michelins and WAY Less money.
I run the Dynapro ATM series, but you may want more bite than that.
Here's the Dynapro MT (Mud Terrain)

hankook_dynapro_mt_rt03.0.jpg

How are the Hankook on wet asphalt? Are they soft enough for ice? Asking because I also need a set of tires before winter/ hunting.

Bought Mastercraft (Cooper) last year when it came time for me. Pleased so far but they don't have as aggressive a tread as the ones you are looking at.
They are USA owned and made (at least when I bought them).

The actual Cooper "SST" is quite a good all purpose tire(With bite). After 40 years in the tire business, their "house brand" leaves me hugely underwhelmed.

Goodyear Duratracs have been great on my Wrangler for the past three years. I put Nitto Trail Grapplers on my Ram a few months ago. They ride nice, seem to balance pretty well and I haven't had any issues in the rain. Haven't had a chance to try em in the snow or ice yet.
image_zps6b1eaf24.jpg

How are the Hankook on wet asphalt? Are they soft enough for ice? Asking because I also need a set of tires before winter/ hunting.

They've been great for me on both with the Tacoma. My exposure to ice has been limited, but they were excellent in snow, and even the less aggressive ATM's did well in mud.

If your 250 is a diesel and you want the tires to last and have good bite, duratrac. They handle my 500hp excursion pulling a trailer most of the time and are great for off road

I have been extremely pleased with my Hankooks. Treadwear ratings like Michelins and WAY Less money.
I run the Dynapro ATM series, but you may want more bite than that.
Here's the Dynapro MT (Mud Terrain)

hankook_dynapro_mt_rt03.0.jpg
I had a set of ATM's installed on my 2500 Chevy and they are working great. Just pulled my car trailer with a jeep on it 350 miles in the rain and they did well.
My Michelin tires were at 50,000 miles and worn. I hope to get more out of the Hankooks.

I have a '02 F250 7.3 and just bought another set of Fierce Attitute MT's from discount tires direct.com. I had 315's but just dropped down to 285's. They shipped same day and had them in 3 days. $200/tire including shipping.

The hillbilly that owned it before me put the 315's on but they rubbed the leaf springs when turning. It's actually nice to be able to use the full turning radius of the truck now. It's a work truck so not to concerned about looks.

I have a '02 F250 7.3 and just bought another set of Fierce Attitute MT's from discount tires direct.com. I had 315's but just dropped down to 285's. They shipped same day and had them in 3 days. $200/tire including shipping.

The hillbilly that owned it before me put the 315's on but they rubbed the leaf springs when turning. It's actually nice to be able to use the full turning radius of the truck now. It's a work truck so not to concerned about looks.

I own the same truck and have be very very happy with 315 Fierce Attitute MT's. NO RUBBING on mine but I know how to measure wheel offset and buy correct rims. Would buy again. I would go load range E for sure especially if it is a diesel. I had a couple sets of D's before and with that heavy engine in front it had a weird vibration at highway speeds. Fierce attitude fixed INSTANTLY, figure it was the load range difference. as that is the only thing that changed from the previous 2 sets of tires

I own the same truck and have be very very happy with 315 Fierce Attitute MT's. NO RUBBING on mine but I know how to measure wheel offset and buy correct rims. Would buy again. I would go load range E for sure especially if it is a diesel. I had a couple sets of D's before and with that heavy engine in front it had a weird vibration at highway speeds. Fierce attitude fixed INSTANTLY, figure it was the load range difference. as that is the only thing that changed from the previous 2 sets of tires

The guy I bought the truck from already had brand new 315 Fierce Attitudes on original factory rims when I bought the truck. It's a work truck and over the past 3years I have put some nice wear on the body. I wasn't about to go out and buy new tires and rims because it rubbed the last 1/4 turn of the steering wheel.

The guy I bought the truck from already had brand new 315 Fierce Attitudes on original factory rims when I bought the truck. It's a work truck and over the past 3years I have put some nice wear on the body. I wasn't about to go out and buy new tires and rims because it rubbed the last 1/4 turn of the steering wheel.

I knew when I posted that, there was a 50/50 chance you would take it personal. First you stated "previous" owner, so NOTHING was aimed at you. Also My point was that the 315's can work perfectly. I know 100's of trucks running 315's or 35's with no rubbing, also know 100's that do.

Another point was same truck same tire and like them alot.

I have Toyo MTs on my 100. Unless you really want / need an E rated 3 ply MT, look for anything else.

ATs are often lighter (better mileage), wear longer, much less likely to chunk, accept siping (without chunking), much quieter, have much better traction on pavement in rain, snow, and ice than an MT. Additionally if you get a 2 ply sidewall the are lighter (again better mileage) but mostly give a much more supple ride.

The 100 crowd at ih8mud favors: Nitto Grapplers / Good Year Dura Tracs / Toyo ATs / BF Goodrich TAs

The fact of the matter is, almost any decent tire on that truck will be expensive because of the size. You have to run 10 ply (E) with that truck, period.

As someone has already said, avoid MTs if you don't need them. It's a waste of tread and fuel.

Michelin AT2s are OE now, and live up to their mileage warranty.

Hankook is a great value in any of their tire. It's not a Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental or Goodyear, but it is a decent tire.

If BFG makes the size it will be priced close to the Hankooks and arguably a better tire.

Toyos are popular for a variety of reasons. Too many to explain here, although one of them being the fact they are very profitable for dealers. Check the sidewalls to make sure they aren't coming from the Toyo factory in China. (Further explanation, this increasingly common occurrence. Brands previously known to produce in one country are now producing the same tire in multiple countries and making larger margins. Not that there is anything wrong with larger margins, but if the quality is different, consumers should be wary) Consider them half a tier below Hankook.

I don't believe 3/4ton and larger trucks (personal use, excluding farm and commercial use) should use anything cheaper than a Toyo. That's just me.

Last edited:
Ps - if you really do need the durability of a Toyo MT you need to give consideration to the Toyo M55s. They are a great tire for their intended purpose - that said, they are the wrong tire for most.

Thanks for the suggestions. The truck is a diesel and I def want E range tires. I have two sets of factory rims. The current set has the standard Michelin LTX AT 2s. I am looking for winter tires for hunting and driving around the farm roads . No ice and snow to worry about here. Just plenty of slop and clay. Thanks for suggestions so far. I didn't know the Toyos came in two versions.( Chinese plant and ? American maybe )

I've put Nitto Terra Grapplers on a few trucks now. Not a "mud" tire. But it does everything else real well. They are not bad in the mud though.

Thanks for the suggestions. The truck is a diesel and I def want E range tires. I have two sets of factory rims. The current set has the standard Michelin LTX AT 2s. I am looking for winter tires for hunting and driving around the farm roads . No ice and snow to worry about here. Just plenty of slop and clay. Thanks for suggestions so far. I didn't know the Toyos came in two versions.( Chinese plant and ? American maybe )

In the long run I've found it hard to beat Michelin. They do cost a bit more.

04 F250 diesel. Bfgoodrich Mud terrain T/A KM2. Has road noise,and it will pull clumps from the earth and sling it 30 feet. Mirrors dont like it.

Nitto Terra Grapplers are a nice riding tire, decent in snow & mud and good on the highway. BFG ATs are great all around, but pricey.
Been rolling on this set of Cooper AT/3s for the last few years, I'd rate them a bit better than the Nittos. Went with the "E" rated 10 ply, M+S rated, found the AT/3s to be excellent on road, in snow, ice & rain, and surprisingly quiet @ highway speed. Noise increased with wear, they hum pretty good now @ 48K. AT/3s are not a true mud tire, but have been very acceptable when its time to sling some dirt. For a guy who's gotta cover asphalt before hitting the dirt, these are the best I've tried yet & might be worth consideration?

07 F250 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab here. BFG KM2s in the 37-12.50-17 load rating D flavor. I have had various sets for 90+K miles.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with a different tire. But for the warranty I get, I just replace tires about every 20-30K due to tread separation, so I really can't complain. Keeps the tread in good shape, and I just keep an eye on them. I originally purchased 4 tires at about 3K miles (now have just over 93K). I have since replaced 13 tires, and only felt bad enough to actually pay to replace one. They do not balance well, wear is average, and if I could keep one from failing, would last about 40K or so miles. Traction is excellent, not too noisy either. Look great, but not a true 37" tire, about 35.5" tall new with no weight on them. Barely taller than Goodyear 35" tires. Over $400 per tire too. But with the warranties I have used, makes them about $130 each....

When I called my Tire Guy (he takes care of tires for our big trucks, pickups, everything) about mud tires for my '13 Cummins he suggested I go with Firestone's MT tire. I just got it in stock size, can't remember what it is on the new Dodge's but it's a 18" rim, 10 ply tire air'ed them up to 80 psi and I've got absolutely zero complaints with them, seem like they're holding their wear pretty well too.

I have Toyo AT IIs on my 3/4 ton Duramax. They're very strong, quiet on the road, and perform well in both mud and sand. They're supposed to be 50,000 mile tires, which I'm happy with on a large truck. I have 15,000 miles on them now and they hardly show any wear.

Pavement pounder? Never understood the need for aggressive tires for rolling on pavement but I did it too.

Dick Cepek fun country for hard pack, road, dirt, rock, ice and snow, lots of biting edges softer quieter ride. Steel studs for max road traction in winter.

Denman Ground Hawgs that are cut for hunting season or mud, very open aggressive, super loud but clean and go in the goo, paired with locked front and rear.

Had uncut gateway gumbo mudders too, great tire for uncut but cut hawgs are superior for mud.

good luck

I've been running the Cooper S/T Maxx's on my GMC 2500 Duramax CC LB. I got over 40k out of the last set with a lot of highway miles and towing a few different trailers, they worked great in the mud, snow, rain and ice up here in NE Ohio.

Like the tittle says, need some tennis shoes for new truck. 2014 f-250 super duty 4x4.20inch rims . Looking for mud terrain. Always hard great service out of Toyo open country MT . They are my first choice but high as giraffe pussy for 35x12.50x20. Any suggestions are should I pony up the 1800.00 for a set?
You run much gravel, or mainly pavement?

Slop and clay, super swampers... There is no questioning their abilities in nasty shit, I run the SSR's and they actually run great on the road. But if this is a second set for the messy shit, go with a high void bias ply. And run more tire not rim, never met anyone who ever did any real offroading that would recommend more rim, clear your calipers/rotors, the rest should be rubber.

I look for a heavier ply side wall first and I am very happy with my BFG M/T's in 35" x 16 for my H3. I need an aggressive thread for snow and mud which is all I drive on. I am lucky to have several cars so no need to use it for dry roads.