• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need to build/ buy a rifle for my dad

atxsniper

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
Texas
My dad wants to start shooting with me so i need to build or buy a weapon for him. We shoot to 1000 yards. I was considering the remington 700 in sps tactical or the rem 700 tactical aac-sd. Which rifle will be better, they have different twist rates on them. There isnt much for sale on the site here. I have a total budget of about 2000 max. I found a nightforce for 1,000. So that leaves about a 1000 for everything else. Any thoughts or help? I wouldnt mind building from an action if anyone has one for sale. Thanks

Re: Need to build/ buy a rifle for my dad

I tell you what, I just bought a GAP, so I will sell my other project if you are interested . Remington 700 SPS tactical . Had 45 rounds through it when I bought it. I have not fired it. Has a Badger bolt knob, brand new Badger 20moa base, and it is sitting in a new Remmy 5r take off stock. $800 shipped .

Thanks guys, wade do you have a link? Is the 5r going to be that much more accurate? What's the difference other than the barrel? Which twist rate would be better 1in10 or 1in12? I'm mainly looking for a 308. 260 isn't out of the question. I just started reloading 2 weeks ago so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm already set up for 308 right now

Shooting 1000? Savage LRP in 260 or 6.5 creed.
I like the 308 and own a 5r, but both the 6.5's beat it easily at 1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atxsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, wade do you have a link? Is the 5r going to be that much more accurate? What's the difference other than the barrel? Which twist rate would be better 1in10 or 1in12? I'm mainly looking for a 308. 260 isn't out of the question. I just started reloading 2 weeks ago so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm already set up for 308 right now</div></div>

No link as I have not listed it. I will PM you some photos later today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atxsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dad wants to start shooting with me so i need to build or buy a weapon for him. We shoot to 1000 yards. I was considering the remington 700 in sps tactical or the rem 700 tactical aac-sd. Which rifle will be better, they have different twist rates on them. There isnt much for sale on the site here. I have a total budget of about 2000 max. I found a nightforce for 1,000. So that leaves about a 1000 for everything else. Any thoughts or help? I wouldnt mind building from an action if anyone has one for sale. Thanks
</div></div>

Patience and a slightly higher budget is what I recommend because you may have overspent on the scope. I suggest waiting for a nice used 5R to pop up and a good 20MOA base and the right height and size rings (Seekins, Leupold Mark4, Badger). You could also run out and buy a new Remington SPS and the same good base and rings but you would likely not have quite as good shooting an action and stock.

HTH!

id suggest get the same chambering you shoot so the 2 of you can interchange and use the same ammo
the nightforce is a great start
id get a savage as they are hard to beat buck/bang wise

Why dont u just buy ur own SPS T for 500.00 off here. Then choose the stock you want.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I decided to get the spa tactical from wade and change out the stock. As far as scope I think your right on overspending. I have a Nightforce on mine so I guess I'm partial. Think I'll find a swfa as scope on here. I heard they are great for the money. That will save some coin for the ammo...

Then buy what you're set up for.....308. Bullets a little pricey, but phenomenal barrel life.