• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need to have a Guide Gun refinished

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I just picked up a new Marlin 1895GBL (short barrel, extended mag, big loop lever) from my local FFL. It's a sweet little 45-70 carbine. I love it, but the blued finish just won't work for a woods gun up here. Does anyone know where I could find someone who will refinish it? I prefer Ceracoat, but any rust-resistant finish would do.

And please don't suggest Wild West Guns. I won't work with those guys.

Thanks

Re: Need to have a Guide Gun refinished

There is someone in state that does complete rifles for $120. They are on the list of NIC's certified refinishers for cerakote. I'll look him up if you want.

Lee Hadaway at, thearmsroom.com , in Trinidad CO built this custom takedown .450Marlin for me. It is finished with Gunkote in satin black. Holding up very well so far.
DSC00289.jpg

I had one done up in Arkansas with a hard chrome finish. Slicker than snot and after a year on salt water in my sailboat...NADA. Don't remember the name of the company ( it has been 20 years), but that coating works. Google Fu can supply it. JMHO

Metaloy Industries does hard chrome finishing on guns. You will have to Google them as I can't find their card right now. Their work is supposed to be top notch. I had them do a saddle ring for me, and they were great to work with.

Everybody today is painting guns but what about places paint doesn`t get to. I would send my gun to MMI and have it nitided and it won`t rust no more. They have done about 6 for me and I am highly satisfied. Nitriding is black in color, it looks like bead blasted black. Paint just isn`t tough enough for me. Give them a try, you won`t be dissapointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everybody today is painting guns but what about places paint doesn`t get to. I would send my gun to MMI and have it nitided and it won`t rust no more. They have done about 6 for me and I am highly satisfied. Nitriding is black in color, it looks like bead blasted black. Paint just isn`t tough enough for me. Give them a try, you won`t be dissapointed. </div></div>
Not a bad idea, melonite treatment would be the ultimate in corrosion resistence.

Another vote for Metaloy in Berryville AR. Chris Peters is a great guy to work with and does top notch plating. The hard chrome is a nice matte finish that does a great job of resisting the elements. This is a job he did for me last fall. It started out as a ratty satin nickle Commander and was transformed! CKruse
Metaloycommander.jpg

What about the birdsong black T finish? It has worked well for me!
Living on the gulfcoast it hasn't shown any sign of rust! Give the a call!
www.blackT.com

Thanks for your feedback guys. I think I'm going to go with 7.62 Precision in Anchorage to have it done. He's in-state and does good work from all I've read. I'll be sure to post pics when it's finished
wink.gif