• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need to order a few barrrels...Q on specs

MrButterpants

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
I know the info is in here buried, but rather than sifting through it figured I'd toss up a quick post for the savvy smith....

I need two barrels, Bartlein is my company of choice since I've had such good results with my current tube from them. I know the wait times are long but these tubes are going into the safe for when I need them.

The 2 calibers I need are .260 and .243. Med Palma contour in both.

The .260 will be pushing a 142smk solo. 115dtac in .243 but it would be nice if I could also shoot a lighter varmint bullet as well.....

Which twist rate is optimal for each? Bartlein also has options of a 4 groves or 5R....thoughts?

Re: Need to order a few barrrels...Q on specs

4 groove 1-8 on the .260
4 groove 1-7.5 on the .243 (115's)

I would say 1 in 8 or 8.5 for the 6.5 and I have no idea for the .243..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 groove 1-8 on the .260
</div></div>

Any idea if i'll still be able to shoot something like an 87gr Vmax out of the 1/7.5 or will the sucker just vaporize out of the tube? If not do you have a heavier frangible second bullet that will work with that fast twist....for varmint 'xplodin?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 groove 1-8 on the .260
</div></div>

Any idea if i'll still be able to shoot something like an 87gr Vmax out of the 1/7.5 or will the sucker just vaporize out of the tube? If not do you have a heavier frangible second bullet that will work with that fast twist....for varmint 'xplodin? </div></div>

Build it 1-8 and shoot 87/107's. Freebore is the only thing to concider, .060" for the weights listed, .104" for the 105/107's. The 1-7.5 may shoot the lighter bullets but, you'll need extra free bore to shoot the 115's and not have them cramed too far in the case, maybe .120"ish freebore for the 115's. Thats way to much for the 87's. Even if the 1-7.5 would shoot the 87's, it'd be hard on em. It's a bitch trying to build a rifle for light to heavy bullets but, the 1-8 may be the best compromise for you.

As a side, all my .243 blanks are ordered 1-8, .237/.243