• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need to replace my electronic ear muffs,

Kyskeet

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Looking for recommendations for comfortable ear cups, good noise reduction

the search feature should help you find a bunch of threads on this topic.

about a year ago i moved up from howard leights to msa with gel cups, and they are the ticket if you dont mind a headband

Reactions: LawnMM
Ops-core amp with the nfmi plugs. I have to worn you they arnt cheap but the sound is top quality plus you get directional sound

I have a pair of the Walker Razor Slim muffs that I like a lot. Great battery life and never had a problem. I dont have any issues with comfort...wear them for a few hours straight without discomfort.

If I did it again I'd look at the set with 4 mics (front and rear) to better tell when a sound is coming from behind.

I use the MSA Sordins Extreme Pro-X with neck band and the noisefighter ear cups. They are comfortable and the ear cups don't put pressure on my glasses.

The MSAs only claim an 18db NRR compared to 22 or so with the Howard Leights. Seems odd it’s less.
The Walker Razor has 23dB NRR. That 5dB difference from the MSA (18dB) is pretty huge in real-world noise reduction.

I got some Howard Leight Pro for Christmas. They're the ones with the large cups. I really like them. Rated 30 dB reduction.

MSA sordins here and have had no complaints. May try Peltor Comtacs III next.

Get the Sordins, try a Google search and educate yourselves, their NRR is a lot higher than 18 at gun fire frequencies, it's just rating confusion.

The MSAs only claim an 18db NRR compared to 22 or so with the Howard Leights. Seems odd it’s less.

The Walker Razor has 23dB NRR. That 5dB difference from the MSA (18dB) is pretty huge in real-world noise reduction.

+ one more for Sordins. I use the sound amplification so that I can still hear whats going on around me while I am doubled up with ear plugs on the range. Def get the gel cups?

We just switched from Peltor's to MSA on the helmets because of a consolidation of equipment (rail adapters, PTT units, etc). I have 2 basically brand new Peltor ComTac ACH single comm with gel units that simply need to be reattached to a headset or worn on a helmet I am about to unload due to this.

Reactions: stefan73
We just switched from Peltor's to MSA on the helmets because of a consolidation of equipment (rail adapters, PTT units, etc). I have 2 basically brand new Peltor ComTac ACH single comm with gel units that simply need to be reattached to a headset or worn on a helmet I am about to unload due to this.
PM me with pics and price please

Peltor SportTacs with gel cups are comfortable (much nicer than the standard cups) and perform fairly well also

I went from MSA/Sordins Supreme Pro to Peltor Sport Tac 500. Not only was I tired of MSA's breaking but they had an obviously low NRR. I would get headaches and ringing ears unless I doubled up with plugs. Money wasn't a consideration, I don't need comms and the 500's have an NRR of 26db. I use the Peltors two or three times per week and they have been flawless.

Interesting read.

It's been around for years, every generation of shooters has to be pointed toward it.

FWIW I'm coming up on about ten years of this sport. Recently went to an ENT for help with a viral inner ear infection making me all kinds of miserable.

One of the first things they do is test your hearing. I fully expected some measurable loss due to some exposure to gunfire both without earpro in one case and on one stage where I had a buddy's brake ringing my bell from a few inches to the side.

I've worn MSAs, religiously, for probably 7ish of those ten years. Pistol classes, rifle classes at work, etc. Tens of thousands of rounds by now.

Hearing tested within the normal range and her immediate comment was, "you've been wearing hearing protection gear, good job."

She even expected some loss. MSAs are awesome, the end.

It's been around for years, every generation of shooters has to be pointed toward it.

FWIW I'm coming up on about ten years of this sport. Recently went to an ENT for help with a viral inner ear infection making me all kinds of miserable.

One of the first things they do is test your hearing. I fully expected some measurable loss due to some exposure to gunfire both without earpro in one case and on one stage where I had a buddy's brake ringing my bell from a few inches to the side.

I've worn MSAs, religiously, for probably 7ish of those ten years. Pistol classes, rifle classes at work, etc. Tens of thousands of rounds by now.

Hearing tested within the normal range and her immediate comment was, "you've been wearing hearing protection gear, good job."

She even expected some loss. MSAs are awesome, the end.
Besides hunting I’ve always worn ear protection.

3 decades of construction and heavy equipment and hundreds of concerts and raves took their toll though.

It’s extremely difficult to hear conversations with lots of background noise for me.

And despite that fancy website those headsets are still louder when worn side by side with other brands or types of hearing protection. There's no getting around the fact that low profile hearing protection is incapable of reducing the same level of sound as hearing protection with a larger form factor and more insulation. There is a reason MSA only rates those headsets to 18db NRR and it isn't because MSA doesn't know how to make quieter hearing protection or Peltor is somehow lying. Matter of fact, Peltor as well as other manufacturers make hearing protection with an NRR over 30db. The trade off is obviously the size of the headset.

So yeah, those MSA's are loud and give me a headache.

Here's some Peltor's with a 31db NRR. https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...Pr5WeNhALhgUBJTqkfxGpFjWs-djVVr0aAqgbEALw_wcB

Cool story, bro! You wear those or whatever headset you want and I'll do the same. ?

I ran sordin for 8 or so years and switched to the OTTO range SA. I like them a lot better. Better sound and audio input actually works, with Noisefighters gel cups they are very comfortable. Dumping my sordins and moving to OTTO.

Besides hunting I’ve always worn ear protection.

3 decades of construction and heavy equipment and hundreds of concerts and raves took their toll though.

It’s extremely difficult to hear conversations with lots of background noise for me.

wait a minute....did you say raves? or is that a typo?

same issue as you 32 and change in construction....soft spoken ppl get the deer in the head lights look and the huh?

I went with the Swatcom Active 8. I have had Peltor, Howard lights, walkers, and others. I use mine not only for my own shooting but also at a police academy for a week at a time several times a year. Although they are a little pricey but by the time I add up all the others they have cost me less. I have had a pair of the new Walkers with the four mics fail and I tried to contact them. Well I left emails, phone calls, more phone calls, and then I stayed on hold for 2.5 hours until my phone batter died and still I have not heard back from them. I talked to the guys at Swatcom and they were very helpful. Side note they answered the phone on the, wait for it, 3ed ring. I know I know you don't believe it. They also can repair the MSA line and others. Check them out and make your on decision.
I got them from SRS Tactical in Florida.

Last edited:
I went with the Swatcom Active 8. I have had Peltor, Howard lights, walkers, and others. I use mine not only for my own shooting but also at a police academy for a week at a time several times a year. Although they are a little pricey but by the time I add up all the others they have cost me less. I have had a pair of the new Walkers with the four mics fail and I tried to contact them. Well I left emails, phone calls, more phone calls, and then I stayed on hold for 2.5 hours until my phone batter died and still I have not heard back from them. I talked to the guys at Swatcom and they were very helpful. Side note they answered the phone on the, wait for it, 3ed ring. I know I know you don't believe it. They also can repair the MSA line and others. Check them out and make your on decision.
I got them from SRS Tactical in Florida.

Good to know they can repair the MSA line. One of my coworkers needs a new switch for his. After 10 years of near constant use he is starting to have issues.

yes
Raves.

tenor.gif

Reactions: MCSO1357
Get the Sordins, try a Google search and educate yourselves, their NRR is a lot higher than 18 at gun fire frequencies, it's just rating confusion.

BINGO

Noise reduction cannot be quoted as a single number because you are filtering a spectrum of frequencies and the reduction is, therefore, a function of the frequency...so you get a curve not a single number.

The Sordins are the best I have used. Super comfortable for long periods of time. Do not affect voice and provide superior attenuation of the rifles blast