• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need TRG trigger help

ThrottleJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2008
SW Oregon
I am having an ongoing problem with TRG triggers. I have read every TRG trigger thread on the internet and still can't diagnose what is going on.

I bought a new .260 TRG. I shot it for a few months and then decided to adjust the trigger. I turned the second stage adjustment ccw 1/8 turn at a time. The trigger pull lightened slightly each time until all of a sudden it started increasing. After this I was never able to get back to the 3.75 lb factory weight. I adjusted through the entire range and weights were 5-10 lbs. I decided I must have accidently installed the trigger with bolt in or something and ruined it.

I sent the rifle back to Beretta USA and they replaced the trigger group but did not provide any information on what was wrong.

While waiting for the .260 to come back from Beretta I bought a TRG 42. The trigger was 3.75 lbs just like the .260 so I started backing it off 1/8 turn at a time. After a couple adjustments it was at 3 lbs and just how I wanted it. No problem there.

When the .260 came back from Beretta with the new trigger I figured I would have no problem since the TRG 42 trigger had adjusted so easily. I started backing it off 1/8 turn at a time and got to 3lb 4oz. The next adjustment should have been a perfect 3lb but instead it increased the weight. Then once again no matter what adjustments I made the pull would not go below 5lbs. This time there was no way that the bolt was in the rifle during adjustments or when trigger group was removed or inserted.

I can insert the TRG 42 trigger in my .260 and it is perfect 3 lbs. The .260 trigger will just not adjust lighter than 5 lbs.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Re: Need TRG trigger help

Found this on the web...are you turning the adjustment screws counter-clockwise? Also, perhaps you should just concentrate your efforts on the 1st or 2nd stage only to reach your desired overall trigger pull weight? Just thinking out load as, I don't own a TRG - yet
wink.gif
. Therefore, I may be off track w/my recommendations? Take it w/a grain of salt.

Adjusting the trigger
- The second stage trigger pull weight will increase by turning the screw (with a 2.5 mm hexagonal key) clockwise.
- The first stage trigger pull weight will increase by turning the screw (with a 1.5 mm hexagonal key) clockwise.

Page 12...has pics as well

Hope this helps?

AvsFan
confused.gif

Yes I have that manual and am aware of how the adjustments are supposed to work. Looking for ideas as to why the .260 trigger pull would start to malfunction during normal adjustment. At this point I am guessing there is debris in the trigger. The assembly looks easy to disassemble are there any pitfalls I should watch out for when taking it apart?

ThrottleJ

Did you touch the first stage tension screw at all? The TRG is funny in a way that there needs to be at least a minimum ratio between the first and second stage pull, otherwise the whole trigger effectively becomes a very heavy single stage trigger. Dunno if this is supposed to be some weird safety mechanism, or if a function of the trigger design.

One thing you can try on your 260 TRG is to tighten the first stage pull a turn or two, and tighten the second stage pull more until you get your two stage trigger back. Then slowly back off on the first stage tension screw to more or less where it was when you got the rifle, and then slowly reduce the second stage tension screw. I suspect though that you will only get your 260 back to how it was when you got it, and not all the way down to 3lbs. The TRG trigger is not designed to be run very light, and I suspect that manufacturing variations are responsible for the difference between your TRG42 and the TRG22's trigger behaviour at 3 lbs. If you continue to lighten your TRG42 second stage trigger weight it will eventually do exactly what the TRG22 did - ie become a heavy single stage trigger.

Let us know if it works.

Cheers....

The trigger is still functioning as a two stage but the problem is that the second stage pull weight is much too high and does not adjust in any kind if linear way. When the problem appeared I had not adjusted the first stage at all because it was about where I wanted it at 2 lbs. After the problem cropped up I did experiment with adjusting the first stage but returned it to stock location since the adjustments did nothing to resolve the issue.