• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing NEEDED .338 cal casings evan wild cats

esromvre

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
Black Hills SD
One range is taking flack that a bullet found at one mile is and I quote a ".338 Lapua Bullet". Note from what I am told this bullet is in perfect shape.

From my data I know that the Lapua has with a 300g bullet at 2820 muzzle velocity. A down range velocity of 1351 and energy of 1216 ft/lbs At 1 Mile or 1760 Yards...

Now as you know there is absolutely no way that you can make this assumption from a bullet... So to try to help out I am going out looking for all the .338 Cal casings I can find...

I have Lapua what I am in need of is all the others that I can get to make a display for the range to use when and if this goes up for a meeting at the county board.

Please Pm me for the address to ship the casings to. Only need the casing preferably fired and if possible neck sized.

Like I said all wild cats and non wild cat casings are needed. .338-08, .338-06, 338 Norma Mag, .338 Win Mag,.338 Ultra, and whatever others are out there...

And if possible please send a note with the Name of the cal and velocity's and what bullet weight they use.

Please post the caliber that you can send on this thread so to keep from getting more than one sent to me.

Thank You ALL in advance for the help..

Re: NEEDED .338 cal casings evan wild cats

Have they bothered to measure the bullet diameter and weight it?

That will narrow down the culprits pretty quickly...

Even a 250 SMK from a 338-06 will go a mile. You guys should probably be ankling and then internally getting anal with your membership regarding why a bullet was found downrange like this.

That is, of course, assuming a trajectory analysis that even places your firing line in the path? IE, is it 30+ degrees out of the arc of fire from your range? If so, bring that up and remind them that it could have come from anywhere.

The point you need to be careful of hammering home is that a 30-06 and 308 can spit a bullet that far easily. That doesn't mean a 338 is any safer or more dangerous. The hitch is letting them ban a caliber because that opens the door to more of it.

If you have a set of Lapua dies you can make yourself some 338 Federal and 338-06 wildcat brass.

Take loading data info and push that through the JBM for a max trajectory calculation.

Put a 308 using off the shelf Winchester ball through there and show that it will go in excess of a mile.

If you don't have an attorney you need one, and you need one yesterday.

As far as I am awair they have the legal stough taken care of. But this is more to teaching the understang that a .338 cal bullet dose not mean its from a 338 LM.. It seems that any thing that happens with a .30 cal is blamed on a .308 win and if its a .33 it is only a .338 LM and if its a .22 than it has to be a .223...
It just pisses me off that people would think like that.. there are lots of edge shooters and some 50 shooters that use this range. it has a positive backstop and would take one hell of a arch to go over the top of the hill. well over the 30' mark...

What is the 338 fed base case? the 338 06 would be easy enough. also the 338 WM I think I have some cases in my junk brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esromvre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What is the 338 fed base case? </div></div>
The 338 Federal is a 338-08.