• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Needing a short-mid range hunting optic for 308 semi

jb0311

Professional Button Pusher
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2019
    NC
    I just put together my first large frame build and now i'm having trouble wading through the infinite scope options out there. I just don't have much hands on experience with the type of optics i am needing for this.

Budget: $1500 (i'm fine with going much lower if it will meet my needs but this my limit) I'm able to get some brands on Vet discount (Athlon, burris, vortex, NF) on expert voice. I don't expect anyone to calculate 40% off MSRP to see if it's <$1500 but just know I can't afford a $3-4k optic for this build.

Rifle: 18" Criterion .308

Use: Hunting under dense canopy hardwoods (most shots between 10-50 yards) and steel out to 600. Can offset a red dot if the low range needs would handicap the mid range needs.

Wants: don't know what I don't know but good low light capability is a must,
    illuminated (although not a deal breaker if not),
    FFP
    Open to suggestions based on usage.

Initially I was looking at LPVOs but haven't found anything in my price range with that seems like it would do well in low light. I was thinking something in the 40-42mm objective based on this.

2-2.5 maximum power on the low end

Need to be able to focus at short ranges ( if need be I can offset a red dot but only if the primary optic isn't able to meet the short range needs).

Beyond these I am open to suggestions about what options might fit my needs, as there are many on here with way more experience with the sea of optics out there now.

One optic that caught my eye was the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15x50 APRS5 FFP IR MIL HD. No experience with Athlon but this is where my head is at as far as specs.

Thanks in advance.

I’d say if you’re going to be hunting under dense canopy hardwoods with a low power FFP scope, you’ll want illumination. Other than that, I’ve got nothing. Been searching for the same thing myself.

I’d say if you’re going to be hunting under dense canopy hardwoods with a low power FFP scope, you’ll want illumination. Other than that, I’ve got nothing. Been searching for the same thing myself.
    I currently run an illuminated 1-6x LPVO on my 6.8spc for deer hunting and agree. Would stick with another set up like that but the smaller objective just doesn't seem to collect enough light. Basically wanting around a 40-42mm objective while staying as low as I can get on the minimum power.

I'll say up front I'm a Trijicon fan. :cool:

I recently went thru a search for a scope with similar hunting conditions as you. I wasn't looking for the scope to do double duty, though.

If you can live with 3x on the bottom end, Trijicon has a couple that will suit your needs. 3-18x44 Tenmile and Tenmile HX. But, you'll get a better price on them from Euro Optics, and much quicker delivery, than Expertvoice. Another to look at, for about 1/2 the price, is a Meopta Optika6. Again, this is going to be 3x, though. IMO, the best you'll find in that price range.

Reactions: jb0311
    One optic that caught my eye was the Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15x50 APRS5 FFP IR MIL HD. No experience with Athlon but this is where my head is at as far as specs.
    I have the Gen 1 version of that scope. It works very well at low power, and my example gets sharp focus down to around 25 feet. Compared to a Vortex PST II 3-15x44, the eyebox on the Athlon seems a little tighter above 10x, but otherwise, they are very comparable scopes, and Athlon wins if close focus is a high priority. Turret feel is better on the PST, but Athlon improved that on the Gen 2. My only (mild) complaint is the reticle in the Gen 1 is not my favorite, but they also fixed that on the Gen 2 with the APRS5.

Since you're looking at Athlon, you might also take a look at their Helos BTR 2-12x42. There's a long thread here that provides a lot of user feedback on that one. The Helos might be the better hunting scope as it's a bit lighter and shorter, and the reticle is designed more for short range use. Out at 600 yards, the Ares will be the better option with its finer reticle and higher mag.

I'm not claiming the Ares is your best choice, particularly if you could accept a 3x or 3.3x low mag where your options really open up, but it's a pretty good one.

I run a NF SHV 3-10x42 on a similar AR10 setup. Works fine for us hunting Fudds that don’t dial and are used to holdovers.

Reactions: IDMilton
    I will agree with some of the people here. I have a couple of Athlon Argos for "bargain glass". I have the Generation one and Generation two scopes. Generation two added a zero stop for elevation. Athlon changed the turret grease for the Generation two, which gives better defined clicks. Better defined clicks can be achieved on the Generation One by simply changing the grease on the turrets. Both scopes do really well on the "box test" and are quite repeatable. Both have a very small eye-box at high magnifications, but then, for close work you are unlikely to be running 15 plus magnification.

OP, since you are on expertvoice I'm going to assume you have Mil/LE experience, if so then you qualify for NF mil/le pricing which gets the NX8 2.5-20x50 within your budget, I am not a huge fan of this scope but many are very happy with it, especially for your use case. The other scope I would recommend is the Burris XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50, I realize this is 3.3x on the low end but this scope has a very wide FOV that is better than some scopes that offer lower magnification, the new illuminated model will hopefully provide the right combo for 3.3x use and if you are offsetting an RDS it should be a nice combo.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, looking over those are some good options to think over.

If you're ok with a red dot then MK5 3.6-18 is hard to beat (find a used one for a couple hundred extra)

What about the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36?

Should be pretty tough, have good glass, good reticle for getting out to 600, illuminated, 2x on the low end for close hunting shots. About $900.

Also tough to beat the NF NXS 2.5-10x42, but its SFP I believe and its pretty expensive.

little heavy for hunting, but bushnell dmr ii-I is a lot of scope for the money. Have 2 of them, 2 atacr, 2 kahles, and I’m always impressed with how well the bushnell performs for the money

I’d go NXS 2.5-10
    +1

I'm not a hunter but I would go SFP to be able to see your reticle easily in dense canopy.

FFP crosshair can get really tiny and hard to see illuminated or not

I prefer the MOAR reticle C458 over the MIL version C460 personally

Its a much older scope but proven to be durable and one of Nightforce's best known scopes

Glass will be mediocre compared to many of the options above...

But fits your needs best im

A lot of hunters in my area still use this scope on their hunting rigs while running ZCO and nice scopes on their PRS rigs

If they could find a better scope, they would have swapped them out long ago

I have a Primary Arms PLx 1-8 Griffin reticle. It’s a true 1x with 34mm tube (they have a new one with 30mm fyi and it’s a little lighter) so no fisheye effect on 1x. Jap glass is very good and bright. Illumination is daylight bright. Very quick to get behind on 1-2x. 600 is no problem and you’ll have a great reticle for wind holds. Turrets are pretty good if you wanted to dial it. Downside is it’s a bit heavy for LVPO. Upside is built like a tank.

Check the classifieds. There someone selling a USO Foundation 17 for right about $1500. I thought about it, but don't really have a need. 3.2 on the low end but excellent glass...

Reactions: db2000
    You're gonna have to double that $1,500 budget or else you won't fit in well around here. You'd better buy an S&B, ZCO, NF, Kahles, Razor Gen3, Hensoldt, or something over $3,000 or else the rich fuckers on here will mock you for being " a poor"... 👍🏼