• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Needing Die neck work done

shaun1826

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
I’ve got a Lee FL non bushing sizing die that is necking my brass down to much. It is sizing it to 0.2415” and I want it to be 0.2465”. I contacted Lee about opening up the neck an additional .005”, but they are not doing custom work at this time due to trying to keep up with production.

Does anyone have a reputable person that can do this work?

Thanks

It would be cheaper and easier to just get a new bushing die?
Appreciate the thought. And that was the first thing I did when I realized the Lee was sizing the neck to much. I’m loading for a 223 AI so my choice of dies are very limited.

I ordered a Redding Type S FL bushing die. The problem with it is it will not bump my shoulder back. The body of the die is to long and bottoms out on the coax jaws before bumping the shoulder back. I even put a shell holder adapter on and it bottoms out on the shell holder as well before bumping the shoulder. It also requires much more force to size a case than the Lee. It’s even galling my cases a little near the shoulder. The Lee has a nice mirror finish on the inside, is smooth as butter and has no problem bumping the shoulder.

Redding will not trim the end of the die to make it shorter so I’m left with either trying to sand some length off of it, find some one with a lathe to cut some length off or sand a shell holder down. And then I would still have to try and sand the inside of the die to make it smooth. Call me crazy, but Redding sending a die out that is rough on the inside requiring people to sand the inside using a dowel rod and automotive 400 grit sandpaper(apparently it happens enough they put these instructions on their website) is some BS.

So, I think my best bet is finding someone to work on the Lee neck.

I believe that Forster offers the service......on their dies which of course means buying a new die........

I believe that Forster offers the service......on their dies which of course means buying a new die........
Yep. They would have been my first choice in dies, but they don’t offer 223 AI.

Id call redding back and get a new rep on the phone or email them again (or just send it in with a description of your issues), they were very accommodating of me when I had an issue with a die and had a new one out to me within a few days of them having received it.

Edit: Provide actual measurements etc, people are more accommodating when you show that you have done your due diligence and you arent just a retard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
So your Redding die is a piece of crap. Thats not uncommon, but it shouldn't be that way. Contact them and have them fix/replace it.

Id call redding back and get a new rep on the phone or email them again (or just send it in with a description of your issues), they were very accommodating of me when I had an issue with a die and had a new one out to me within a few days of them having received it.

Edit: Provide actual measurements etc, people are more accommodating when you show that you have done your due diligence and you arent just a retard.
The guy I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable and I explained what was going on. He told me if the die was within “their spec“ they wouldn’t do anything. I’ve been down the road of sending in another one of their 223 AI dies without getting a fix.

The first set of dies I ordered for this 223 AI (impact action and Bugholes chambered Bartlien barrel) was a Redding Competition set that had a Body die in it. I used it to resize the body after 3 firings and to try and bump the shoulders back and it had the same problem of bottoming out before bumping. I sent it in to Redding along with 3 fired cases. They sent a note back saying they replaced the die and were able to bump the shoulder .002” with mild cam over. I don’t think so, as I measured the cases before sending them and the cases I got back had not had the shoulders bumped. Nor can I get it to bump back other cases I have that the Lee die has no problem bumping back up to .004”.

I now have (2) Redding 223 AI dies that won’t bump the shoulders, so I can only conclude the “spec” they make their 223 AI die has the body of the die to long to bump the shoulders that my chamber produces.

Reactions: spife7980