• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neighbor/gun rant

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
I own 15+ acres out in open farm country. There are houses on 2 acre lots to the north from my house, nothing but a field and freeway to the south, and over a mile of open field before hitting a woods then a few houses to the east. My gun range faces east, away from the close houses, and goes 300yds out from my bench. I talked to all my neighbors before I built it, nobody had a problem and often people can't even tell I'm shooting because the muzzle points away from all the houses (I have no brakes).

I've let friends use the range maybe 5-6 times all year (twice in the last week though). Today was the first time I pulled a trigger in 6 months. A couple months ago I did let a DNR officer and SWAT trainer bring a state-owned full auto M16 out, and the cops showed up from that but had no issues once they found it was all legal.

Well today I took two bolt guns out and fired about 30 shots over the course of 2 hours. Same person who called the cops for the M16 showed up, but instead of coming behind the house and talking with me (I was visible from the road) she went to the house and berated my wife. Supposedly my rifles are so loud from a mile away that they keep her from sleeping (night worker) and I'm shooting "constantly". Claimed she was going to call the cops, I'd been told to stop "many times" and I should drive to the gun range 1/2 hour away. My wife basically told her we bought the property specifically so I could shoot, I was not breaking any laws, and it was not going to stop. She did ask her if we could have her name and number so I could call her and try to work it out so I did not interfere with her sleep, but she refused.

I'm debating driving over there and giving her a quarter to buy a pair of earplugs, and tell her to do that or move back to the suburbs if she wants to tell everyone what to do on their own property.

I grew up in the country, nothing ruins it more than a bunch of <span style="font-weight: bold">this type</span> of city person moving out there to "get away" and then trying to turn it back into the city they left.

Screw'em, if the cops show up I'll tell them to come back after their shift and they're welcome to fire off a few rounds with me.

Re: Neighbor/gun rant

Piss her off some more, then tell her she can call the cops all she'd like. I can understand being annoyed by constant noise, but if you live in the country you should know you can't do anything to stop it.

Keep on, my grandparents got lucky and the only neighbors they lived by moved away for some other reason, but the rest don't care about shooting.

Trying to resolve it peacefully is the best way, but people telling you what you can or can't do on your own property pisses me off to no end.

I'd have at least tried to work with her some if she'd approached it right, but she's saying I should not be shooting AT ALL. PERIOD.

I'd tell your neighbor that if she's got enough cash she can buy you out and you'll gladly move. Otherwise she can STFU.

I'd build a berm or something to help with the noise simply because I wouldn't want to have to deal with the sheriff showing up everytime I want to touch off a round. Of course the sheriff's department should tell her to mind her own business.

50 BMG and Tannerite - what marriage. If that were to happen, I'd buy plane tickets to see it.

Better Yet - Plan a Sniper'sHide 'family reunion'. That could be just as fun.

Things will not be fun, but I wonder who in the County Courthouse she is talking too......Hope you have a good Sheriff.

If it bothers her so much tell her to buy you a suppressor.
laugh.gif

Some folks just don't know a thing about being neighborly. Some of us sit around wishing we had neighbors who shot, and then we have these kind of people. Get out the cool toys, invite the sheriff over, and get medieval on her. Who knows? Maybe she'll move!

That was like my Neighbor 16 years ago.

I used to Field Trial Brittanys and I lived on a corner lot residentual area. I had 9 dogs at the time and the neighbor across the street had 3 yappy Yorkies that barked constantly. It was so bad I thought about taking my 22 and shooting them through the window.

Anyway the guy that lived next door to me called Animal Control on the Yorkies. I happened to be working on my Horse Trailer when Animal Control showed up and as he is talking to the gal she points at my house and said they have 30 dogs over there. I almost shit when I heard that. After Animal Control left I went over and asked her WTH. Why are you bringing me into your problems I told her I'm not bothering anyone. Later on I talked to the guy that made the complaint and he said I hardly ever hear your dogs and if I do he said I tell them to shut up and thats it.

Try to be reasonable at first and if that don't work it's your neighbors problem. If that don't work and your neighbor keeps calling the cops on you, file a harrassment report. Good luck

Your new skeet/pistol range should be fun for all your friends/co-workers/hitchhikers/neighbors/random people off craigs-list/ect..

Treat it like a Hollywood reality show....
Get all the neighbors on your side. Buy em' lunch. bring them to shoot. Find out who their friends are and alienate them. Don't confront them as you may find they will end up saying you assaulted them. Keep shooting. Get some of the local PD or Deputies to come over and shoot. Buy some of them lunch. Come on this is easier than high school.

Remember back in the 80s there was a stupid show about a cop and his gun, Sledgehammer, he had a thing he put on his pistol, he called it a "loudener". go get one for your neighbor. <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WKM9GDuX0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WKM9GDuX0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would try and work something out. She sounds like the type of
bitch to drag you through court. Win or not who wants that bs?

Buy her some ear plugs and Ambien and try and work it out.. As of now your one of the lucky ones, shes still a good ways away..

I used to shoot on my parents property(10+ acres) and practice motocross. Well some city folk bought the acreage right next to my 'rents place and threw up a house in the middle of a corn field.

First thing they did was complain about the dirtbikes which came to a abrubt end. They went as far as having the decible levels measured from the propertly line which in turn ruled in their favor. A few months after that they reported the shooting. We used to shoot about 400 yards but after they threw up their house and the county deemed a new "safe zone" we lost more then half of that land to shoot on bringing it to about 150yards
frown.gif

So I wish the best of luck to you and hope everything works out in the long run..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember back in the 80s there was a stupid show about a cop and his gun, Sledgehammer, he had a thing he put on his pistol, he called it a "loudener". go get one for your neighbor. <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WKM9GDuX0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-WKM9GDuX0Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I'm still pissed they cancelled this show!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try and work something out. She sounds like the type of
bitch to drag you through court. Win or not who wants that bs?
</div></div>
I'd rather go to court and get a verdict defending my rights, than end up paying a mortgage on a big chunk of land I can't effectively use, actually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy her some ear plugs and Ambien and try and work it out.. As of now your one of the lucky ones, shes still a good ways away..

I used to shoot on my parents property(10+ acres) and practice motocross. Well some city folk bought the acreage right next to my 'rents place and threw up a house in the middle of a corn field.

First thing they did was complain about the dirtbikes which came to a abrubt end. They went as far as having the decible levels measured from the propertly line which in turn ruled in their favor. A few months after that they reported the shooting. We used to shoot about 400 yards but after they threw up their house and the county deemed a new "safe zone" we lost more then half of that land to shoot on bringing it to about 150yards
frown.gif

So I wish the best of luck to you and hope everything works out in the long run.. </div></div>

This type of thing really disturbs me. I'm not so concerned about this, given that we have no noise ordinance here and the complainer is a long distance off.

Exercise your rights as you see fit. Right now the only people she's harassing are the cops. When they come, remind them of that and be sympathetic with their Godlike endurance of fools like her. They'll get their act together soon enough, especially if someone suggests she be informed of the penalties for filing a false police report. If she doesn't like the neighborhood, she should move. Her property rights end at her property line; trying to impose them on neighbors is harassment. You have a right to pursue damages for things like that. She keeps worrying that bone, she could even do jail time. I had a neighbor like that once, and the judge made it clear, one more complaint from either of us, and she was gonna do jail time. She moved. Her relatives moved in, I welcomed them, explained the ground rules, and we get along fine.

Greg

i do not know where you live, but you could do what a friend of mine done up in Colorado, he had a 500 yd. range, bought and planted a bunch of cottonless Cottenwood trees, lined the first 200 yds with them, they grow fast, so he kept pruning them till they now look like a 20 foot high wall of green, he told me (6-7 years) ago he needs to supplant the Cottonwood trees with evergreens as the CWs drop their leaves in winter, he has a great set up now, a shooting shack with electricity and a small wood burning cast iron stove.

when talking wont succeed,
usually the business end of a barrel succeeds.
good luck and god bless you

People should be more conscious of the places they move into. This reminds me of a situation that happened several years ago not far from my parents house in Cache Valley, Utah (big dairy farming community). Anyways, a huge lot of town homes were built across the street from a good sized dairy farm that had been there for decades. After the town homes filled up with people, these ass hats tried to get the dairy farm shut down because of the smell that migrated over. It ruled in court in their favor, and the dairy farm had to take it to a state court for appeal to stay.

shoot the bitch.lol just playing.put up some no tresspassing signs at your drive entry then wait for her to come over bitchin at you or your wife agian then have her ass busted for tresspass.hahahaha last laught to you.

Send her a ticket to Sterling Alaska! She'd think she died and went to hell! Sounds like Beirut around here at all hours. Everybody practices their pistols off the deck and sights in their rifles on the stars 24/7!

Ah yes we have the same issues in NY... I am from a 150 acre farm which my parents still own

Well needless to say after 9/11 when everyone moves out of the city to my hometown we started getting the cops called on us. They would come and talk to us and fire a couple rounds and leave... same people complained about the smell of cow shit.

A-holes

We had the same issues with neighbors a few years ago. Amazing thing was the guy across the street was a cop (but from another county) and shot way more than we did and no one ever complained about him! Our neighbors eventually died (of old age) and no one else moved in!

At our ranch in west texas we keep on getting the cops called out. The neighbor complains that our bullets are "buzzing" his roof. Threatens us with something called tresspassing by projectile. When the cops show up and see our range and can see that it clearly points east instead of west to our neighbors property, they leave. Now the Sheriff just calls to inform us that the prick next to us has called again.

You might want to start keeping track of when (date and time) and what you are shooting. Not only for when you are shooting but when anyone else you invited is. Also every time she shows up.
If someone moves out of town and then doesn't like the way things are done, it should be just their problem. No one else's. There is a farm just out side the city limits that when they put up hay wait for the humidity level to get just right (the hay lasts longer). This is means they usually start at about 1:00 AM. Their property line is also the city limits. One idiot keeps calling the cops every time they cut hay (good year maybe 3 times). He just can't understand the cops can't do anything about it.

"I'm debating driving over there and giving her a quarter to buy a pair of earplugs, and tell her to do that or move back to the suburbs if she wants to tell everyone what to do on their own property."

Heres how to work this out .

get a friend over , with a rifle of course . Have him set up to shoot . YOU drive over to said hopolopes house , call buddy have him start shooting while on the phone , see if you can hear anything . If not knock on her door and give her the phone , so she can hear the shots .

Now as for the POPO coming on your property while your shooting , thats a no-no . Dont let them on . EVER .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it bothers her so much tell her to buy you a suppressor.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

OMG, way to go Maser, finally something good to say

Sorry to say ATH, but your going to lose this war, every elected fuck in the country will listen to a bitch bitching at them, she will take her fight to your other neighbors and like trolls they will join her side, in the end you will learn that your land is yours, but the things you do on it that bother others will cause you to sell it or live with the fuck down to appease others, this happens all over our country every week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it bothers her so much tell her to buy you a suppressor.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

OMG, way to go Maser, finally something good to say </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exercise your rights as you see fit. Right now the only people she's harassing are the cops. When they come, remind them of that and be sympathetic with their Godlike endurance of fools like her. They'll get their act together soon enough, especially if someone suggests she be informed of the penalties for filing a false police report. If she doesn't like the neighborhood, she should move. Her property rights end at her property line; trying to impose them on neighbors is harassment. You have a right to pursue damages for things like that. She keeps worrying that bone, she could even do jail time. I had a neighbor like that once, and the judge made it clear, one more complaint from either of us, and she was gonna do jail time. She moved. Her relatives moved in, I welcomed them, explained the ground rules, and we get along fine.

Greg </div></div>

Greg has it dead on. Every time neighbor calls the police, AND the police show up, ask the officer you wish to file harassment charges against the caller. YOU are excerising your rights....just because neighbor does not agree with YOUR rights...does NOT make their rights better than yours.

Ask the officer if they will be speaking with the neighbor for filing false police reports.

Speak with the county commisioners about the issue....and ask for a certified letter to be sent to the neighbor.

Not sure where you live, but unless there is a noise ordinance and you are shooting during the day, there is little she can do.

Here is what she will likely do - continue to call the county Sheriff to complain about noise. They will come out a few times. One of them may even try to buffalo you, claiming you must have full auto (because of complaints), etc. Every time they come, do not back down from the officers. By this, do NOT accept a warning. Be polite and respectful, but do NOT allow them to inspect all your guns in the house that you didn't use. You might even need to report harassment if it gets out of hand - a cop can't just order you to stop using your range unless there's an obvious safety issue or some sort of ordinance - even if he acts all tough and acts like he can. Insist on knowing what crime you are being warned about. Insist on having them specifically point out a noise ordinance that you are in violation of. There probably isn't one.

So what will happen next, is they will tire of her complaints, and tell her that unless shots hit her house, stop calling.

This is where it gets interesting. Her next call will be to say rounds went by her house.

Insist on proof. Show the cops your shooting berm, and station. Even better if you can build something to obstruct her house from your shooting bench. Show that this is all but impossible. Insist that she is making a false claim - don't back down on this. False claims are a crime - and as soon as the sherif thinks that's what's going on, he'll make it clear that SHE will be arrested if she makes any more false claims.

It is at that point, that you will know you have basically won.

Also, do not be hesitant about calling the Sheriff on HER if she has any transgressions.

Don't escalate the situation by having a machine gun shoot, but don't curb your hobby to appease, as appeasement will only embolden. The above is the path a friend had to chose. It worked.

If she came over (with brownies) and politely asked if you could keep it down to certain hours to accommodate her schedule - MAYBE you'd be neighborly enough to work something out. Not that you'd be obligated, but hey, you're a nice guy. That ship has sailed. Don't waste your time trying to be a good neighbor or work something out. It will backfire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now as for the POPO coming on your property while your shooting , thats a no-no . Dont let them on . EVER . </div></div>

Defeats the purpose of having Officers/ Deputies shooting with you, or clearing the call as Unfounded, huh? Helps when the local LE knows you're a good to go guy, and a responsible shooter that they don't have to worry about.

I love getting "shots fired" calls to guys houses that have private "ranges". I get to go see new toys and BS with like- minded folks for a bit. Makes for a nice on-duty break.

I to must agree that city folk who move to the country and complain to us about the smell of cow shit (even more so is the chicken shit)/ slow moving farm equipment on the roadways/ shots fired/ low flying aircraft (crop dusters)- are a royal pain in the ass. They must be reminded that they CHOSE to live here, and we will not look negatively upon them if they move back.

In Mississippi there is a law for this to protect your rights.

Municipalities and counties may regulate the discharge of firearms. A municipality or county may not apply a discharge-related regulation in an extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or county, or in an area annexed by the municipality or county after September 1, 1981, if the firearm is discharged in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of a tract of land, and is a:

Shotgun, air rifle, air pistol or BB gun discharged on a tract of land of ten acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; or

Center fire, rim fire, or muzzle-loading rifle or pistol discharged on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property.

That is Miss code. And it works for me. I had a neighbor complain once when I shot a clip through my Garand. I went to talk to her and explained that I was not shooting near or towards her house. She was just jumpy because she is a little nuts and alone because her husband died a couple of years ago. I use a silencer most of the time but some of my rifles are not threaded, like the Garand and the neighbors just have to suck it up.

This sounds exactly like the problem I face on my property in Northern Florida. My range was built several years before the neighbors moved in. Spent a lot of money having a berm built not facing anyone's property. Built several wood platforms and two ranges one for pistol, and one for rifle out to 2 hundred yards. For the most part myself and DKSD39 go there about once a month and shoot mostly suppressed weapons : whisper 300, 308, and 22's.
The loudest at that time was our pistol shooting. Well when the neighbors moved in we said hello real neighborly, let them tour the range, showed them at no time due we ever shoot in their direction, and that we were both LE. Well everything seemed great till we started shooting, and when we broke for lunch we observed a Local Sheriff's car pulling up to her driveway, stay for 10 minutes, and head towards our property.
Upon initial contact, we let the deputy know we were LE and that we had spoke to the neighbors about our range and shooting. The deputy told us we weren't breaking any laws and that she would have to deal with it. We laughed, offered them lunch and they went on their way. The funny thing is that while we were talking to the deputy people all around were shooting and you could here shooting in the distance all day!
Well the assholes have called several times since we returned to shoot especially the last time when we came up with a bunch of full auto stuff and my partners 338! The deputies keep responding and telling her the same thing, then we apologize for her wasting their time.
Now my partner is on a mission to annoy the hell out of her. He just had delivered to my house 20lbs of tannerite! we will let you know!
smile.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NiEUMTT5TxY&feature=search"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NiEUMTT5TxY&feature=search" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Something to get you started

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoredEngineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NiEUMTT5TxY&feature=search"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NiEUMTT5TxY&feature=search" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Something to get you started </div></div>

WOW!

Search for tannerite recipe time.

For sure when I go home on vacation and I am out running and almost got hit by a damn car I get so mad! I hate city folk that act like a bunch of idiots. We had a rash of cars wrecking and going right through our fenceline... got tired of it and started getting insurance information and taking money!

They can all EAT IT! I hate city folk!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLINKY ERT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now as for the POPO coming on your property while your shooting , thats a no-no . Dont let them on . EVER . </div></div>

Defeats the purpose of having Officers/ Deputies shooting with you, or clearing the call as Unfounded, huh? Helps when the local LE knows you're a good to go guy, and a responsible shooter that they don't have to worry about.

I love getting "shots fired" calls to guys houses that have private "ranges". I get to go see new toys and BS with like- minded folks for a bit. Makes for a nice on-duty break.

I to must agree that city folk who move to the country and complain to us about the smell of cow shit (even more so is the chicken shit)/ slow moving farm equipment on the roadways/ shots fired/ low flying aircraft (crop dusters)- are a royal pain in the ass. They must be reminded that they CHOSE to live here, and we will not look negatively upon them if they move back.

</div></div>

man I feel for ya,Neighbors can be a curse or a blessing,I only have one and he shoots more than I do,of corse my 340 Wthby with brake will stop your heart when fired and we have dozens of deer in back yard so during deer season gets kinda busy. Try to endure and suck it up.
Smutly

I agree with you but go to sams club and get the container of ear plugs for her attach a note that says
"these are for the busy shooting season ahead of us. sorry in advance p.s. do you mind if we park in youre drive way?"