• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Neophyte (dumb?) questions re: Muzzle devices / Suppressors mounts

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
My Nomad 30 finally cleared "jail." Comes from Dead Air direct thread. Dead Air also have KeyMo and Xeno mounts. Alternatively, I could swap the end cap to Area 419's and buy into their Hellfire system. I am sure there are others that I am missing. I started running some numbers on what all this could potentially cost depending on how many rifles I wanna swap the can between. It would be drastically cheaper to just direct thread the can onto 5/8-24 hosts. I've got a self timing brake that I can do the same thing with. For less than $100 I can get a 1/2-28 end cap. The only down side would seem to be the ass pain associated with trying to swap between 1/2 and 5/8 at the range. Looking at the Dead Air Xeno/Area419 options, it appears you simply thread onto the adapter (which can host multiple muzzle devices) instead of the barrel directly... so, conceptually the same. Questions:

1. Other than the convenience associated with swapping muzzle devices between rifles, what would be the advantage of an adapter based system? On the surface, there doesn't appear to be one (i.e. threaded on is threaded on, regardless of whether it's an adapter or the barrel).

2. Does the KeyMo even make sense anymore? It's larger, heavier and considerably more expensive. What's the upside?

My Nomad 30 finally cleared "jail." Comes from Dead Air direct thread. Dead Air also have KeyMo and Xeno mounts. Alternatively, I could swap the end cap to Area 419's and buy into their Hellfire system. I am sure there are others that I am missing. I started running some numbers on what all this could potentially cost depending on how many rifles I wanna swap the can between. It would be drastically cheaper to just direct thread the can onto 5/8-24 hosts. I've got a self timing brake that I can do the same thing with. For less than $100 I can get a 1/2-28 end cap. The only down side would seem to be the ass pain associated with trying to swap between 1/2 and 5/8 at the range. Looking at the Dead Air Xeno/Area419 options, it appears you simply thread onto the adapter (which can host multiple muzzle devices) instead of the barrel directly... so, conceptually the same. Questions:

1. Other than the convenience associated with swapping muzzle devices between rifles, what would be the advantage of an adapter based system? On the surface, there doesn't appear to be one (i.e. threaded on is threaded on, regardless of whether it's an adapter or the barrel).

2. Does the KeyMo even make sense anymore? It's larger, heavier and considerably more expensive. What's the upside?
This is why I invested in the KeyMo/KeyMount system. Yes, it's pretty hefty in weight, and cost... But the KeyMount muzzle brakes are really nice, and if you're using it on magnum cartridges, it helps to mitigate erosion of the blast baffle as quickly as if you're running DT.

Also, your mention of the conundrum of running DT on both 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 is solved, because KeyMo is the same size, regardless of the size of the threads that the muzzle device & barrel have. So, you only need the 1 KeyMo mount, and then buy your KeyMount devices according to your rifle's threads. 👍🏼

My 5.56 AR's use a 1/2x28 KeyMount, and my 6.5G and 300 BLK use 5/8x24 KeyMount... The external dimensions of the KeyMount devices are the exact same. This means I can quickly and instantly interchange my suppressors between all my rifles with no tools. Pretty cool design.

Other than the convenience, the right muzzle device will have other positive functions. Example, the KeyMount 3-port muzzle brakes do a VERY good job of mitigating recoil, even without the suppressor attached.

I like KeyMo, but some folks don't. The ratcheting really lets you know the can is on there, and that it isn't going to go anywhere, even under heavy fire.

Last edited:

1. Kind of. Direct thread without torquing the suppressor on it will likely back off. With the taper system you get the same repeatability and the suppressor will not come loose. It's qd lite imo but faster than dt. Your bare muzzle isn't exposed and you don't have to buy thread protectors.

2. Imo no. It adds a lot of weight and length. It's quick. That's about it. I'm thinking of selling off all my key mo stuff. The weight and length penalty is too high. It's also very expensive.

I'm personally interested in the Rearden Atlas and muzzle devices.

Rearden_WebProduct_Atlas_1.jpg

Rearden_WebProduct_FHD_1.jpg

Rearden_WebProduct_SPB-BN_1.jpg

I have debated on going with the Xeno brakes, right now I just use thread protectors. That in and of it self is also a cost, just not as much as other systems. Buy mine from PVA. I personally think KeyMo is more of an AR use with the Sandman series of cans which I own. Have a Sandman S just for my ARs, an older Sandman Ti (DT can only) for a dedicated AR in 300BLK for subs.

For my Nomad Ti, just looking for the most repeatable system that keeps a can from loosening that protects the barrel threads without breaking the bank. If these companies could make something that does not have a flash hider or brake on their system, that would be great as I don't shoot without a can if the rifle can use one. I have heard others say the same about never shooting without a can, so the FH or brake is just pointless cost in machine and tooling time.

I have debated on going with the Xeno brakes, right now I just use thread protectors. That in and of it self is also a cost, just not as much as other systems. Buy mine from PVA. I personally think KeyMo is more of an AR use with the Sandman series of cans which I own. Have a Sandman S just for my ARs, an older Sandman Ti (DT can only) for a dedicated AR in 300BLK for subs.

For my Nomad Ti, just looking for the most repeatable system that keeps a can from loosening that protects the barrel threads without breaking the bank. If these companies could make something that does not have a flash hider or brake on their system, that would be great as I don't shoot without a can if the rifle can use one. I have heard others say the same about never shooting without a can, so the FH or brake is just pointless cost in machine and tooling time.
You could always buy a KeyMount and then chop the end off of it, after the taper... 🤷🏼

Rearden

But the mini flash hider and this is the same price. The brake however is more expensive.

Rearden_WebProduct_Mini_1.jpg

Rearden_WebProduct_Atlas_1.jpg

Last edited:
I went with 419 because I can use the adaptor bare and not have an annoying ass brake to still shoot should I have to. But so that I can also use it on all my hosts without having to mess with several different cans, they can all go on all my rifles. Direct thread would be fine except for the 1/2 vs 5/8 you noted. Also its cheaper, 40 bucks per muzzle adaptor.

Last edited:

I like Ayn Rand as much as the next guy, so I'll look at the Rearden metal... that said, the Area419 universal adapter would do what you want. It's literally just the tapered base and it's $40 per unit. Other than that, you'd just need the suppressor end cap for your can, and you can swap it onto any platform with the adapter. Most economical system I've seen yet (that $40 uni mount also accepts their brakes, so you could also just swap a brake or flash hider around if you were so inclined.

My excuse is the Xeno wasn't out yet (to my knowledge) when I ordered the KeyMo stuff. I didn't think to check Area419 back then (still learning...), so no idea when their system came out, but I know the Hellfire brakes have been around a hot minute.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I actually keep forgetting about the Area 419 system. But I also like the looks of the Rearden with the H900 wheat finish.

I have some sunk cost already… I went in heavy when younger, dumber me thought KeyMo was “it.” Just trying to sort my life out and figure out if I am gonna change direction before I start blasting.
image.jpg

Reactions: FuhQ
Another option…I put the Q Plan B on my Nomad 30 which allows me to QD on any of my rifles hosting a Q Cherry Bomb muzzle brake which are 1/2 or 5/8.

You could get the proper 5/8x24 and 1/2x28 direct thread mounts and rockset them and permanently install them to the barrel. Then just move the suppressor from gun to gun. That’s what I do. This obviously wouldn’t be ideal if you wanted to shoot without the suppressor on but where’s the fun in that? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: DJL2 and FuhQ
I don't get the fascination with suppressor 'QD' systems.

Overly complicated at times, adds weight, length, stacking of tolerances, cost and potential for issues (such as grenading a can downrange when you mixed up installations steps #4&5). They also aren't really any quicker then DT.

If you can get away with it, direct thread is the way to go, IMO.

If you need to swap between two different types of weapon systems (i.e. AR15 with 1/2x28 threads and precision rifle with 5/8x24), then I personally think the most elegant simple is Q's cherry bomb system (can't stand the prick that runs the company, but the cherry bomb is a nice system). The taper before the threads thing actually works, and it's such an elegant and simple way to mount a suppressor if you can't feasible DT.

Reactions: DJL2 and BamaSE
I've built a couple form 1s and I've standardized on the rearden atlas and brakes which are based on the Q plan B/cherry bomb system. I had planned to go with keymo originally but the rearden setup is half the cost and adds less length than the keymo. The keymo is a QD system but after the few strings of fire, you're probably not gonna be taking that can off in a hurry.

Another advantage of the rearden/cherry bomb brakes is that there is a taper in front of the threads for the can which seals the gas from getting onto the threads and locking them up. That can be a problem with direct thread mounts. Also, as others have mentioned, direct thread can back off. Biggest problem with rearden is that they're never in stock.

The Reardon's seem nice.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Another good option is Griffin’s Plan A. Your MDs are around $80, and $80 for the adapter for the end of your suppressor. It’s also a taper mount and I’ve been pleased with mine.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
3. Stuck cases, cause and prevention?
331900FC-0437-4934-A08B-45DB8FD326E4.jpeg

This little guy is S&B factory ammo that I was shooting for giggles (it shot into the same group at 400 yds as my Hornady 140 BTHP… I was surprised). I think I need to swap my extractor (KRG SOTIC), so that might have contributed. When I got around to rodding the case, it just fell out as soon as I tipped the rifle up.

This isn’t something I’ve encountered running my ARs suppressed and I don’t have an explanation.