• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nephew asked what does it feel like to get shot?

TXAZ

NOC NOC
Minuteman
  • Oct 3, 2020
    McMurdo Sound
    Nephew is considering joining the military, possibly the Marines. I told him it’s a good choice to learn a skill, figure out what he wants to do and get a deal on college and a mortgage.

One question he’s asked is what does it feel like to get shot. I’m assuming a non-fatal, you stayed conscious event.
    I also told him most in the military never get shot at.
    Any serious, first hand replies appreciated. Feel free to PM if you like and I’ll forward.

Thanks, I told him I’d ask.

Reactions: shk1
    I’ve been told by GSW victims...

Burning and or getting hit with a sledge hammer mostly. Even known people who had half their face removed with a shotgun, same thing with him.think I’ve met more guys who hit IEDs than have been shot.

Nephew is considering joining the military, possibly the Marines. I told him it’s a good choice to learn a skill, figure out what he wants to do and get a deal on college and a mortgage.

One question he’s asked is what does it feel like to get shot. I’m assuming a non-fatal, you stayed conscious event.
    I also told him most in the military never get shot at.
    Any serious, first hand replies appreciated. Feel free to PM if you like and I’ll forward.

Thanks, I told him I’d ask.
    He should be more worried about what it feels like to have a heart attack from vax-induced myocarditis.

Not strictly an answer to the question, but...
    I haven't ever been hit, not even close; but I've been shot at...

All it did was piss me off. "Them fuckers are tryin to KILL me!"

So... I can't tell you how it feels to get shot, but I can SHOW you what it LOOKS like. Somewhere on my old laptop I have lots of medical pictures showing freshly injured Iraq/Afghanistan military members in surgery. It's not pretty. In fact, it's pretty damn serious. Imagine chunks of meat and body parts blown off. Gaping open wounds and shredded flesh. Hands, arms, legs missing...

Show him that sort of stuff and he might just decide to do something else, or at least other than combat arms.

On the other hand, some people just ride toward the sound of the guns.

Last edited:
    Reactions: TXAZ
    Like getting hit with a sledge hammer at initial impact.
    Then it changes quickly to full on fire, there's a red hot piece of shit in there....get it out, get it out.
    Then it just feels like the worst bruise you can imagine.....for weeks.
    No, you can't see my scars.

I got shot through the left wrist with a 200gr. fmj 45acp. Arm whipped backwards from the impact. Didn't really hurt much at all.... Guess it shocked the nerve endings into never never land.... However, about 30 minutes later at the ER things started to wake up and it did HURT!. The nurse said "Oh I'll get you a pain shot"..... Not sure how other parts of the body respond..... I can say with certainty, avoid getting shot if you can help it. :)

One question he’s asked is what does it feel like to get shot.

If he's that concerned tell him to join the Navy and strike for any admin job.

In my side of the Navy we didn't worry about getting shot. If we were gonna get hit, the best outcome was you were right where the missile hit and you just got vaporized in the explosion.

Burning to death and drowning in a flooded compartment are no bueno.

Not first hand accounts but..

My Dad took one in the chest in Vietnam. Got knocked on his ass and took a second to realize what happened. He mostly described the burning sensation.

I’m in the medical field and have taken care of a lot of GSWs to the extremities. With the soft tissue wounds, again a lot of the burning descriptions. When they hit bone, it appears to hurt like hell.

Get some 12ga bean bag shot, tell him to remove his shirt, gauge away, then get a red hot piece of steel and jab it rigt where te bruising starts. Should feel pretty close.

He should be more worried about what it feels like to have a heart attack from vax-induced myocarditis.

This... Seriously...

Now if the 260,000-400,000 or more who refused the vax ever decide to form a new army too, I think a lot more will consider joining them. Those idiots making policies high up in leadership really don't know what Pandora's box they are on the verge of opening. Haven't they watched Gods And Generals and did not pay attention to the part where Major General Thomas Jackson announces that the regiments of troops Lincoln ordered to be raised in Virginia had been raised already? It is just that these regiments had not been raised to enforce Washington D.C.'s demands... Not in the least bit...

Like getting hit with a sledge hammer at initial impact.
    Then it changes quickly to full on fire, there's a red hot piece of shit in there....get it out, get it out.
    Then it just feels like the worst bruise you can imagine.....for weeks.
    No, you can't see my scars.
    Years ago when I got my chl the instructor was a former cop. He'd been shot once and was describing it to the class and that's exactly what he said. He said there was no amount of morphine that would stop the burning sensation.

Then there was an army recruiter that came into the Harley shop I used to work at all the time. He'd been shot like six times on several different occasions. Same thing. Said it burned like hell. I can just imagine taking one to a bone.

Know a couple guys on the job that have taken some lead, they all said it burns, it's hot when it hits.

Makes sense if you think about the friction generated by a bullet going from zero to 10,000 rpms in 4 inches and traveling through the air at 1400-3000fps depending on caliber

So yeah, I'd expect it to burn and depending on what tissue damage is done other pain is pretty likely too.

Moral of the story, don't get shot

Reactions: Dough300 and TXAZ
    Stay out of combat arms go into aviation mech. Or diesel mech. There are real world applications for that stuff….l
    I’ll caution you on the diesel mech side. As someone who went from an 03 to a 3521, when I wasn’t turning wrenches, I would ride the turret/run the 240 and crew served. It was like being a grunt all over again, but with trucks. Could be unit dependent. YMMV

Wasn't in the military but I have been shot. I liken it it when you bang your elbow, some pain but mostly numbness tingling strange sensation. Later on just pain.

He’s asking the wrong question. Show him interviews with MOH awardees. He should ask how can I be like them. Shot and still fighting. On deaths door protecting friends and strangers. Look up Roy Benavidez, John Chapman, Mike Monsoor, Michael Thornton, and Dakota Meyer.

It’s imperative that you talk him out of it. He is young and not paying attention. His parents and those around him (you) should be. Making a choice to work for government is the wrong choice always. What’s worse yet is making the choice to work for a completely illegal and unconstitutional gov’t that overthrew the USA.

Besides these things, the US military hasn’t engaged in a campaign to protect American sovereignty or the constitution in who know when. Politicians like to use soldiers and sometimes throw their lives away for more self serving reasons and to justify more spending and foreign aide so they can steal it.

Edit to add:
    The military’s main job is to protect the homeland. This country is and has been invaded at the southern border by millions of foreign nationals and the commie american leadership refuses to stop the invasion regardless of which disgusting political party is in power. This in itself should let a man know that the military isn’t about the defense of America. Do not buy into the thick propaganda as so many continue to do. There is no honor in the job as it is. Many things would have to be corrected and it looks as if that won’t be happening.

Last edited:
    I would have to agree with that, Wade.

The US Army Code of Conduct says:
    "I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life..."

The United States is a business. It's not a democracy, it's an "economocracy". That is... whoever has the most money calls the shots. An econoMOCK-racy mocks democracy.

If he’s serious about joining, he needs to start inoculating himself now:

i-Qd8mxq6.jpg

Then he gets assigned to a ship and can learn what a missle strike feels like.

Speaking of which I just ran across a sinkex on RIMPAC 2022. Target ship is just like the first one I served on, just 3 hull numbers higher.

First hit takes out the hangar and the entire repair locker manned there during GQ. Second one hits near the waterline right about where the mess decks are, wasting another repair locker and likely the main combat casualty care station. The resulting fire (which would have been fought by others if that ship had been manned) kills everyone in CIC and likely on the bridge as well.

Note to all the dumbshits who say surface ships can't stand up to missiles, USS Stark (a ship of the same class as the one in the video) ate two Exocet missiles from an Iranian asshole and still made it to Bahrain under her own power, then sailed herself home after temporary repairs there.

Last edited:
    Speaking of which I just ran across a sinkex on RIMPAC 2022. Target ship is just like the first one I served on, just 3 hull numbers higher.

First hit takes out the hangar and the entire repair locker manned there during GQ. Second one hits near the waterline right about where the mess decks are, wasting another repair locker and likely the main combat casualty care station. The resulting fire (which would have been fought by others if that ship had been manned) kills everyone in CIC and likely on the bridge as well.

Us Marines thought an LST was small but seeing one tied up ahead of an FFG in Subic was an eye opener. The gangway went up to the LST while down to the FFG.

Reactions: TXAZ and 308pirate
    Us Marines thought an LST was small but seeing one tied up ahead of an FFG in Subic was an eye opener. The gangway went up to the LST while down to the FFG.

18 months on USS Reuben James FFG-57.......got my OOD and SWO quals done on her.

What most don't realize is that there are no REMFs on a warship. In that video, the second place that got hit is likely the battle station for most of the supply department, kitted up to fight fires, flooding, and tend to casualties.

Last edited:
    I’ll caution you on the diesel mech side. As someone who went from an 03 to a 3521, when I wasn’t turning wrenches, I would ride the turret/run the 240 and crew served. It was like being a grunt all over again, but with trucks. Could be unit dependent. YMMV
    Fake news.

Nephew is considering joining the military, possibly the Marines.

Well it was kind of useless advice for a kid not even sure he will enlist and for sure not even knowing what his MOS might be.

That's Army shit. No other service allows direct entry into WO. Gotta earn it the hard way.

Regardless of the branch of service if someone is asking questions telling them all the options that come with that decision isn't a bad thing. It's called being a mentor or giving guidance. God knows it doesn't hurt.

I never said go straight to WO. Why that conclusion was being inferred is just making an argument for no reason.

Reactions: Oldloser and TXAZ