• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Nesika BDL mag cutout

bsalbrig

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2007
NC/DC
I recently purchased one of the nesika model v actions with a magnum bolt face to use with a 300winmag barrel I acquired years ago and want a hinged floor plate type mag. I ordered all the parts from stockeys and found the mag box does not fit in the action. The mag well does have a step at the bottom so I thought it should hold a bdl mag box. Could it be the action is mismatched with a standard bolt face? The current mag well cutout is about .76” wide at the back and .66” at the front
Is there a known spec for the box mag well cutout? I could machine it out if I could find the dimensions. 13054CFD-6637-4FC3-962B-35E48E171BD6.jpegBDD505BB-CE90-47AA-8AF6-456A024F67A6.jpegE061CF9F-8FC4-4075-BED1-B5483A560DEB.jpeg

Last edited:
Chad Dixon at LRI could probably answer your question. He has a lot of experience with Nesika actions.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
It appears your receiver was set up for a detachable style magazine, as there are no feed lips to facilitate the cartridge retention when you load from the ejection port in the ADL/BDL format. I was Nesika's production manager from 2003-2006, and I own all of the remaining product inventory. (Remington killed the brand around 5 or 6 years ago, and I bought everything from them right before the bankruptcy implosion)

The question now becomes, is there enough material remaining to convert it to an internal box magazine?

Looking at your pictures, I'm going to speculate the answer is no. One way to check is to slide a cartridge through the opening. If it has a mile of room on each side of the cartridge body near the bolt circle, then insufficient material will likely remain to create necessary feed lip features. Keep in mind, I'm guessing as I am only judging this from photos. It's just as likely that I'm wrong, and all this requires is a box mortise to be cut into the receiver body. These are dimensions that I "should" know, but understand that I left the company almost 18 years ago, and things continued to evolve.

The next part of this concerns the loading/ejection port. Many detachable magazine-fed Nesika actions used a target style ejection port. If I recall, a "V" action has a hunter/open type, but the "thing" about Nesika was that you could configure the action into just about anything. If your receiver has the open/hunter-style port, it's a good thing. You'll be able effectively to load/clear the action when in use. Target ports and internal box magazine setups are not user-friendly.

Happy to help

C.

Last edited:
It appears your receiver was set up for a detachable style magazine, as there are no feed lips to facilitate the cartridge retention when you load from the ejection port in the ADL/BDL format. I was Nesika's production manager from 2003-2006, and I own all of the remaining product inventory. (Remington killed the brand around 5 or 6 years ago, and I bought everything from them right before the bankruptcy implosion)

The question now becomes, is there enough material remaining to convert it to an internal box magazine?

Looking at your pictures, I'm going to speculate the answer is no. One way to check is to slide a cartridge through the opening. If it has a mile of room on each side of the cartridge body near the bolt circle, then insufficient material will likely remain to create necessary feed lip features. Keep in mind, I'm guessing as I am only judging this from photos. It's just as likely that I'm wrong, and all this requires is a box mortise to be cut into the receiver body. These are dimensions that I "should" know, but understand that I left the company almost 18 years ago, and things continued to evolve.

The next part of this concerns the loading/ejection port. Many detachable magazine-fed Nesika actions used a target style ejection port. If I recall, a "V" action has a hunter/open type, but the "thing" about Nesika was that you could configure the action into just about anything. If your receiver has the open/hunter-style port, it's a good thing. You'll be able effectively to load/clear the action when in use. Target ports and internal box magazine setups are not user-friendly.

Happy to help

C.
Thanks for the well thought out reply. I’ve never gone so far as to assemble a rifle but with this one I am going to figure out how to do it. The barrel I am using I bought 12 ish years ago and had plans to cut it down for a different project that never happened. The barrel is threaded for the nesika and chambered 300 win mag so these actions were perfect. I made a 0.491” thick recoil lug to headspace it. (It’s the first rifle I’ve headspaced) It does have the open port. I’ve looked but cant find prints on what the mag cutout for a rem 700 should be. I may try looking at a friends gun shop if he has a magnum action I can take measurements from. Likely I’ll end up buying the proper mag setup for it as I don’t like to machine on something I can’t easily replace.

Also I really appreciate the videos you post on Facebook that show your cnc operations. I’ve taught myself cnc machining over the last 7 years and it helps to see how other people approach their problems with fixturing. I’ve got 3 axis machines now but am looking at going 5 axis. My industry is in no way related to firearms so I’ll never be a competitor.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. I’ve never gone so far as to assemble a rifle but with this one I am going to figure out how to do it. The barrel I am using I bought 12 ish years ago and had plans to cut it down for a different project that never happened. The barrel is threaded for the nesika and chambered 300 win mag so these actions were perfect. I made a 0.491” thick recoil lug to headspace it. (It’s the first rifle I’ve headspaced) It does have the open port. I’ve looked but cant find prints on what the mag cutout for a rem 700 should be. I may try looking at a friends gun shop if he has a magnum action I can take measurements from. Likely I’ll end up buying the proper mag setup for it as I don’t like to machine on something I can’t easily replace.

Also I really appreciate the videos you post on Facebook that show your cnc operations. I’ve taught myself cnc machining over the last 7 years and it helps to see how other people approach their problems with fixturing. I’ve got 3 axis machines now but am looking at going 5 axis. My industry is in no way related to firearms so I’ll never be a competitor.

I have no issues with competition as it keeps a person engaged. It's a healthy thing in my book.

Good luck.

Here's a whittled-down M700 LA box solid (step file) that should give you all the relevant dimensions.

Attachments

• M700 LA BOX ONLY.zip
    97.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Average guy
I have no issues with competition as it keeps a person engaged. It's a healthy thing in my book.

Good luck.

Here's a whittled-down M700 LA box solid (step file) that should give you all the relevant dimensions.
Thanks for your help
I’ll look at that tomorrow when I can get it downloaded on a computer. I think if it still has enough material and I feel comfortable machining it I’ll try fitting a rectangle bar to the bolt lug channel and clamp the action to that. Should keep it indexed and rigid.

I’m so far enjoying the fabrication side of this build. After this I think I’m going to try chambering and fitting a barrel to an action.

Last edited:
I did get a chance to open the step file on a computer this morning and the cutout into the action is already too big at the rear of the action by .08”. Looks like I’m stuck with a detachable mag on this action.

Thanks for showing me the difference between feedrails and a box mag cutout….my inexperience here cost $285 for ordering the wrong bottom metal…whoops. Guess I’ll have to build another long action rifle some day with the nice SS bottom metal I ordered.

Thanks for your help.