• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Never ending copper fouling

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I just got a new match barrel put on my 6.5 Grendal. I shot 20 rounds through it and went to clean it. I used shooters choice bore cleaner and patches. I would run a wet patch, wait ten minutes and run a dry patch. I have gone through about 20 patches now and the copper is still coming out. That is 200 minutes of soaking. Am i doing something wrong? is this typical?

Re: Never ending copper fouling

Wipeout bore foam is your friend, embrace it. Have you tried using a bronze brush in between soakings?

How does it shoot?

If it shoots good, then I would just keep shooting it and NOT clean it until accuracy goes away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a new match barrel put on my 6.5 Grendal. I shot 20 rounds through it and went to clean it. I used shooters choice bore cleaner and patches. I would run a wet patch, wait ten minutes and run a dry patch. I have gone through about 20 patches now and the copper is still coming out. That is 200 minutes of soaking. <span style="font-weight: bold">Am i doing something wrong?</span> is this typical?</div></div>

Are you doing something wrong...

besides reducing your barrel life and ruining your barrel, no, you're fine. eventually you'll get to the steel and instead of the patches coming out blue it will come out black, then you know you're on the right track.

200 minutes of soaking, wow, that's dedication, I don't think I have 200 minutes of cleaning invested in my last 5 rifles.

More rifle are wrecked by cleaning than shooting.

Never clean until groups open up or you're gonna store it.

Get rid of all those nasty solvents and use Wipe Out. One squirt, 15 minutes and two patches and you're done. BTW almost all I shoot are Barnes and we all know what terrible foulers they are! (LOL)

The copper is long gone, your getting false indications from the jags, keep the chamber clean and enjoy it, when accuracy falls off then clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More rifle are wrecked by cleaning than shooting.

Never clean until groups open up or you're gonna store it.

Get rid of all those nasty solvents and use Wipe Out. One squirt, 15 minutes and two patches and you're done. BTW almost all I shoot are Barnes and we all know what terrible foulers they are! (LOL) </div></div>

It's good stuff no doubt, but just to comment it's not that way with every barrel. I've got one where it takes 2X the procedure above, and if I want to get 30 rounds down it instead of 15 I follow up with another 10 patches of copper solvent. Hopefully I'll burn it out so I have an excuse to re-barrel to something smoother...though it's as accurate as I could want it for the few shots I do get.

If you read and comprehend the testing in the two pages of this thread, you will know more about cleaning and detecting Copper fouling in the bore:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1128607&page=1

KG-12 does not make blue, stink, or erode the barrel.

It is 20X faster than any Ammonia based Copper solvent.

What does it all mean?
Stop using; Wipe Out, 50BMG, Sweet's 7.62, Shooter's Choice, etc.

If any of your cleaning implements are made of brass, this can give you a false copper 'reading' on your patch, as copper is one of the metals contained in brass/bronze alloys.

I'd say it is highly unlikely that there is still any significant copper fouling remaining in your barrel at this point.

I'd also say that it's not essential that you get every last speck of fouling out of the bore, as long as one finishes the cleaning process by putting at least a light coat of bore preserving oil down the barrel as a final step.

Once the grand majority of the fouling is gone, accuracy can be restored after a few fouling shots.

The main problem with remaining fouling deposits is that over time they can combine with atmospheric moisture and oxygen to cause bore pitting.

For the shooter who lays their firearms up for only short periods, this should not be a significant issue; but for longer layoffs, it can become one. Better safe than sorry, so use the oil.

Greg

Kroil is your friend.... Do this after its clean and the next time it wont take so long. You can only ruin a bore by pitting the metal with a heavy solvent like 50 bmg for example. Thats why i use wipe out with the accelerant. The foam is also good stuff.

+1 on the KG 1/12 combination.... amazing stuff

Im using a Butches Bore Shine and Forrest Bore Foam combo to clean then a heavy dose of Kroil before they go in the safe. If there is a lot of Carbon coming out I will use a little Mpro7 to cut through it.

M1,

In sunlight or other bright light look in the bore at the muzzle. If there is copper in the barrel, you'll see it there. You can also use a Q-Tip stuck in the bore, this will reflect light to the outer diameter of the bore making it easier to see. As was said earlier, my money is on the jag.