• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Never Flown Before - Need Some Advice

Spazz.

Nobody Nothing
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2008
Franklin County, KY
We're in the beginning stages of planning a vacation at the end of March. We're probably going to the gulf coast, and any of the states we may end up in recognize our Kentucky CCDWLs. I don't want to drive 12+ hours and would just rather fly, even though none of us going have ever flown before. I would feel more comfortable UPSing our luggage to a hold location near wherever we're going the week we're supposed to leave instead of checking our bags.

Question 1 - What is the best, safest, most reliable way to transport your handgun from your home to your vacation location?

Question 2 - What airline do you all like using the most and why?

Question 3 - Is there anything I should know before jumping on a plane for the first time?

I greatly appreciate any help from y'all!

Re: Never Flown Before - Need Some Advice

I like the idea of sending the firearms via UPS.

Southwest if great, if they service your points of travel.
Use Expedia or similar to find good rates.

Wear slip-on shoes and read the TSA rules on carry-on items (liquids, etc.)

I like windows seats toward the front.
The engine noise is less and I have a hard time hearing when there's any kind of background noise like that.

Chewing gum helps with the ears popping.

I fly all the time, probably 7 or 8 airlines a month.

I'm also a professional pilot(corporate jets)

You should drive.

That being said I try and fly American when I have to go commercial. US Airways is the worst.

Check your bags or pack light enough to use carry on. I've had a bag lost once(by Southwest) and it showed up the next morning and was delivered directly to me.

As for flying for the first time just be cool. I've only seen one person freak out and it was an 11 year old girl. Dont be dicks to the TSA because they can now "detain" you for making negative comments to them.

You can airline with your handguns but you'll have to check with the airline you choose to make sure you meet there requirements for taking it with you. But all will require some sort of locked container and a seperate one for ammo.

Beyond that I'll tell you to wear good shoes.

I've had good luck flying Southwest. Reasonable rates and good service. I posted a while back about how one of the handles on my gun case got broken off and they went out of their way to ensure that I was reimbursed and pleased with how I was treated before I walked away. I fly SWA every opportunity I travel.

I've secured my pistol (Unloaded, with mag dropped) in a lockable case and placed it in checked baggage. You declare the weapon at the counter, show them the weapon is unloaded, ammo separate, etc. & sign a waiver that they place in the box. The case is put back in your baggage and zipped shut. The TSA screener at the x-ray opens the bag, examines the case (as you stand by watching) and then sends it through after all checks clear. It adds a good bit of time before you even make it to the security gate, so allow extra time.

As far as flying advice, if you're tall or wide, plan on not being too comfortable. SWA lets you pay a little extra ($10 - IIRC) to lock in being in the first group to board. If you go with SWA, I would recommend doing that, so you can pick and choose where you sit & end up not in the middle of a row. Flying other carriers, you get an assigned seat and are SOL, if you don't get a good seat.

Stay the hell away from Delta Airlines.

I have been flying my son back and forth to Houston, TX with Continental Airlines for the past twelve years and aside from the flights rarely departing/arriving when they are supposed to I have no complaints.

I have been flying for work for many years. I have flown all the major airlines all over the world. It's an easy process if you follow some simple rules. Keep the carry on bag as small as possible. Give yourself plenty of time for check in and security check. Patience is important. Get to the ticket counter 2 hrs or so before your departure time. This will give you plenty of time. Keep your checked bags to 50 pounds or less. Anything over 50 will cost you fees at the check in. If possible, fly American, Southwest or Continental. Costs a little more for Continental or AA but you want to get there on time and safe. Read about what you can and can't take on the airplane. You don't want to be the asshole who gets TSA search or causes the lines to the screener to back up because you are trying to bring on unauthorized stuff. It's easy but you need to be informed on what to do. As mentioned by others, read the airline policy about bringing firearms. Shipping UPS means paying for next day delivery. They won't ship ground with a pistol. I'd put it in the carry on bag. Good luck and don't sweat it.

Thank you all for the great advice so far. My mom-in-law is the only one who may be "scared" to fly, and she's going to have her doctor give her something for the flight so she'll stay steady. She's mainly apprehensive about being so high up in the air, instead of the plane itself.

GardDog, I'll keep that strategy in mind for handgun bagging. I'll have a combo-lockable case, so I'm not concerned with its security any more than I am my general baggage. Stacyp, can you actually carry-on a handgun or did I just not read that correctly? That would be awesome and great for peace of mind.

It sounds like you guys don't have much of an issue getting your luggage on the other end. I guess I've heard too many horror stories of people's vacations getting messed up because they have nothing but their carry-on for the duration of their vacation.

Thanks again for all the help so far. One other question - do any of you have any recommendations for Gulf-front places to spend a week? We're looking at Gulf Shores since we've been there, but considering Florida to Texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay the hell away from Delta Airlines.

I have been flying my son back and forth to Houston, TX with Continental Airlines for the past twelve years and aside from the flights rarely departing/arriving when they are supposed to I have no complaints. </div></div>
dont know why you dont like delta. Thats the online arline I use

Ive gone oversees (19hr flying time) 2 times last year and they were good to me. Had one delay in ATL on the way home due to an unruly passenger but all was good after that.

OP if you are flying anything over 6 hrs id recommend window seat. The closer to the wing the less turbulance you feel. Think of it as a giant seasaw

as for the gun. Definetely plan to get there much earlier than normal and call ahead and verify you have everything you need. I know i read somewhere a guy had a connecting flight in NJ and was arrested when they found his pistol

Honestly, checking guns at the airport is not a huge deal. All you have to do is follow their guidelines on the container and how it has to be locked which are fairly resonable and then you have to show them the firearm and sign a paper saying that its unloaded. I have done it several times and have never had an issue or any damage to any of my guns. This is what i would recommend.

You cannot carry your pistol on!!!!!!

I'm sure that was a mistake!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One other question - do any of you have any recommendations for Gulf-front places to spend a week? We're looking at Gulf Shores since we've been there, but considering Florida to Texas. </div></div>

Most folks down this way head over to the "Redneck Riviera" (the locals term of endearment for the area from Destin to Gulf Shores) at some time during the summer. I've been staying in the Perdido Key, FL area every summer for the last 4-5 years. It's close to Gulf Shores and Pensacola, so there is always something good to go do & see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sounds like you guys don't have much of an issue getting your luggage on the other end. I guess I've heard too many horror stories of people's vacations getting messed up because they have nothing but their carry-on for the duration of their vacation.</div></div>

My ill-fated 1st honeymoon found me in Montego Bay, Jamaica with no luggage, thanks to the baggage yahoos from AA. It was never found. I have travelled alot since then (never again with AA) and I found that complete loss of luggage is truly rare.

lol no of course you cant carry it on but you can check in like any other luggage (except there are certain rules you have to follow). sorry if i didnt make that clear. spazz, definitely under any circumstances DO NOT carry the gun on the plane but if you get into contact with your airline, they can give you instructions on how to check your firearm.

I would recommend staying away from American Airlines. Their extra fees are way out of hand and their services is substandard to say the least.

I would recommend SouthWest and also JetBlue. JetBlue has the best planes, larger seats and more leg room, which is really nice if you are tall.

I have flown hundreds of times in my life and many airlines and have never had my bag lost. In all my travels I have only had one friend who's bag was mutilated but the airline was very accommodating about it.

That being said I have been hosed over by weather on many occasions so I always carry a day or two of clothes with me and usually some snacks as well.

I haven't seen mentioned above but don't take a knife with you through security.

Overall the worst part about flying is the other passengers
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know i read somewhere a guy had a connecting flight in NJ and was arrested when they found his pistol </div></div>

That was because his connecting flight got canceled and he spent the night in a hotel. The airline did not hold his luggage at the airport and check it through to his destination like they would have if the flight had not been canceled.

Get your facts straight next time.

To the OP, I just drove 11 hours solo from PHX to COS after all day activities, in my own bed by 2a and a normal day the next day. 12 hours is not a long drive. By the time you drive to the airport, be there early, fly, deplane, get a rental car, and get to your destination, you are gonna burn 80% of those 12 hours anyway, and that is IF there are no delays.

If you decide to fly anyway, read up on the TSAs web site and the airline's web site about declaring the firearm. It is no big deal, BUT you will be checking a bag. Also research the firearms laws for the states you will be traveling to to make sure you got the facts straight on that too. packing.org will link you to a site I think is called usconcealedcarry.

That whole ordeal of UPSing your luggage? Man if everyone that flew did this I'd buy stock in UPS and Fedex today. That is a bit "out there". I pack light and only use a carry-on, even when going overseas. If you are going to the coast, flip-flops and a Speedo don't take up much luggage space.

Thanks for quenching my anxiety about luggage and guns, y'all are really helpful and informative. The UPS thing isn't really "out there," it's somewhat common practice especially if you have several things you're trying to take with you and the airline will charge you extra for them. That's probably not going to be the case with us, but I figured $20 shipped and held in a location for sure would beat paying extra for bags that get lost between here and the Gulf. Sounds like we'll end up just checking our bags and that'll be less trouble in the end.

I'm definitely going to read up on TSA's website and the airline website if we end up flying. I don't want no surprises when I get to the airport, especially with my mother-in-law. I have a great relationship with her and will speak no ill, but she goes to pieces if something doesn't work out correctly. I'm trying to get all this planned to be as smooth as possible. I like the pieces of info like paying just a little more to be able to board first and pick your seat. That makes things go just a little smoother, and that's what I'm looking for in a vacation. That, some fresh seafood, and good beer anyway.

9H, I make it a point to be as well-read as I can be on gun laws of other states if I'm going to be in them. Again, I don't want no surprises. I would hate to be ignorant of the fact that I may not be able to have a concealed handgun in a glove box in a state you're traveling through and reveal it to the highway patrol officer who just asked for my registration. Thankfully, all the states we would travel through do recognize Kentucky's CCDWL so I'm fine on that part. I just need to look through the finer points of the CC laws.

I'm definitely appreciating all the help and information from everyone - thank you so much!

One more thing, don't put a new passenger over a wing window if at all possible, If you do pull the blind down and dont let them look out the window at all, the first time I flew was over a wing, I watched that wing flop and thought I was gonna die, not trying to discourage you. I have flown quite a bit since then and find it quite enjoyable no matter where I sit.

I can't be positive but if you are flying out of Northern Ky or Lexington you will probably end up on Delta and connect through ATL or MEM.
If this is the first time your group has flown everyone better do a gut check on the potential for air-sickness and take dramamine or something similar. My wife has extreme motion sickness and while the medicine will leave her groggy,nothing can ruin the first day of a trip like being motion sick.
Lastly, if you end up on a late flight, stuff something like granola bars in your carry-on in case of a flight delay that keeps you at the airport after all the food spots close. It is miserable to skip dinner thinking you will be at your destination in plenty of time to eat and then be stuck at the airport for hours past "I'm starving".

Lol.... Yes that was my bad in the previous post. I didn't mean carry on bag, I ment checked bag for the firearm. Sorry for the mistake.

I fix planes for Southwest, thank yall for flying on my planes, things are supposed to flex, if they didn't it would be real bad, go on vacation and leave the pistol at home, this being your first time use it as a learning experience, a handgun will only cause you more confusion or dismay should any missed connections or loss of bags, just go on vacation, TSA sucks but they have a hard job and they have done a pretty good job, not perfect but pretty good. Panama City would be good choice after Spring Break, during is nothing but party hungry college kids, and every business is looking to releave you of your money, and of course SWA flys there.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question 1 - What is the best, safest, most reliable way to transport your handgun from your home to your vacation location?</span>
Check this website for a guide on how to fly with firearms.
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
The TSA requires you to use a crush proof hard-sided case to keep your firearm and locked on <span style="color: #FF0000">both</span> sides with a <span style="color: #FF0000">NON-TSA Compliant</span> locks this means that only you have the key or means to get in your luggage. I recommend the Pelican 1610 for this as it it meets the requirements for checked baggage, is large enough that a ground crew guy can't pocket it easily to steal it, and is lighter than the 1620.

Here's a guide to pelican cases the airlines allow as checked baggage. Oversized luggage can cost up to 125 bucks each way due to oversized bagged fees.
http://www.pelican.com/airline_allowance.php

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question 2 - What airline do you all like using the most and why?</span>
I LOVE southwest. They are cheap, efficient, safe, have an organized boarding method, and offer the best customer service. Also if you check the first link you will find they get an A- rating for traveling with firearms.
I stay away from North West and United because of the shitty service.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question 3 - Is there anything I should know before jumping on a plane for the first time?</span>
The hardest part about flying these days is the hassle with security. To get through the security line more efficiently. Put your keys, loose change, and phone in your carry on outer pocket before you go through. During all of the hustle and bustle of putting your shoes, jacket, and belt on this will reduce the chance that you leave something behind.
Consult the list of prohibited items to see what you need to pack in your checked baggage and what you can't take at all.
If your like me and carry a lot of tools all the time like a leatherman keep a self addressed flat rate priority mail envelope in your bag travel bag just incase you forget to leave it at home. There's always mailboxes at the airport and in a pinch this can save your beloved leatherman or surefire from falling into the hands of the TSA.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

Another thing to remember is if you can avoid leaving anything valuable in your check in baggage. If you have a camera, laptop, or anything a thief would want carry that in your carry on.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/20245199/detail.html

Most importantly have fun and enjoy your vacation!!!
laugh.gif

I don't know if any body mentioned it, but before I fly I take anti-nausea medication. Otherwise, I barf.
smile.gif
You might too, haha. Good luck.

I found out the hard way that airlines are only responsible for $1500 per bag. Do not fly with items worth more than 1500 unless you don't care about loosing it. UPS insured or Registered Mail high value items you can't carry on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question 3 - Is there anything I should know before jumping on a plane for the first time?
</div></div>

I have the "privilige" of spending a LOT of time on flights every year.....

If it's a holiday special:

Forget any preconceptions you may have about what constitutes personal space/privacy boundaries and acceptable space for confinement of adults for an extended period - airlines have a MUCH different view on these issues.

The food is invariably crap - take your own

The toilets are usually covered in piss within the first 20 minutes - go in the airport and then cross your legs

You will be within ear shot of several constantly screaming kids, there is nowhere to hide from this on a plane so you may want to take hearing protection

Take a good book and an iPod.

Don't plan on watching the In-Flight Entertainment - 90% of airline headphones don't work, when they do you can hardly understand what is being said anyway!

You will have to wait hours for your baggage at the other end

You will be late/delayed - Expect the worst, don't let it wind you up, it is inevitable (especially if you fly American).

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

They don't give out parachutes

laugh.gif

Take the car and make a real trip of it if at all possible!

But underneath each seat (actually, I think it's the seat cushion itself) is a FLOATATION DEVICE in case you sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, you're flying. And you are given "anti-drowning protection"?????

One thing not mentioned is the best place to find good fares.

For Southwest you can only use their website, American is going the same way shortly. Hipmunk is a nice site and is easy to use, not as obnoxious as Expedia, Orbitz, or Priceline.

Here is a little air travel safety..... <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0dn02uABD0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0dn02uABD0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If you are looking for a secluded place away from all the tourism, but with the same famous white sand as Gulf Shores, you seriously need to look into Cape San Blas, Port St. Joe, Florida. There is hardly no one on the beach, so you will practically feel alone. I would seriously consider it if I were you. GREAT PLACE

You can't board a plane drunk but once your on, sky's the limit. Pun intended.

Nice you got to fly once before the whole industry implodes. Have a safe trip.