• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Never Happens To Me

1943m1garand

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Virginia, USA
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crim...ry.html?hpid=z4

Normally, buying merchandise through Amazon is an unremarkable experience. You click to purchase, then a tracking number appears in your e-mail, and, a few days after that, a driver pulls up out front. In most instances, you get what you paid for.

Not always, though.

On Tuesday night, Seth Horvitz, 38, a musician from San Francisco who moved to Washington a year ago, was alone in his Brookland apartment, getting ready for a dinner party, when he heard a knock at the door. By the time he opened it, a UPS man was leaving the building, on Eighth Street NE. To the right of the door, propped against a wall in the hallway, was a rectangular cardboard box about three feet long.

Horvitz, who composes and performs electronic music using computers, had purchased a 39-inch television for $324 through Amazon several days earlier, ordering it from a third-party seller. Having tracked the shipment online, Horvitz said, he knew that the big Westinghouse flat-screen was due to arrive early that evening.

But the box, which was addressed to him, seemed much too small.

“My thought was, maybe these are some accessories, and the TV will come in another box,” Horvitz said. He carried the parcel into his kitchen and used a key to tear away the packing tape. “When I first opened it and I saw the metal parts, I thought, ‘Oh, wow, maybe this is a TV stand.’

“Until I kind of put my hand on it,” he said. “Then I kind of jumped back, and I thought, ‘Oh, wait a second.’ ”

The merchandise — a tactical military-style SIG716 semiautomatic rifle, wrapped in heavy plastic and encased in Styrofoam, with an empty magazine for 7.62x51mm ammunition — came with an owner’s manual from the manufacturer, the German arms company Sig Sauer.

“SIG SAUER has taken the proven features of the SIG516 and applied them to a potent AR-based rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm,” the company explains, adding “the SIG716 is the rifle of choice when you require the power of a large caliber carbine.”

Horvitz, whose dinner guests would soon be arriving, required no such thing. In fact, before he reached into the box and felt the weapon’s pistol grip and trigger, he said, he had never held a gun. He hadn’t even seen one that wasn’t being toted by somebody in uniform.

“I definitely knew it was a mistake,” he said. “But I was confused as to how that kind of mix-up could happen. Especially given the recent events, the recent shootings. It surprised me to see how easy it would be for a gun to show up on someone’s doorstep — not just a gun, but an assault weapon.”

An Amazon spokesman did not return calls for comment. A UPS spokesman could not be reached.

Inspecting the box’s contents further, Horvitz said, he found an invoice showing that the rifle had been shipped by an online firearms broker, Gunbuyer.com, for delivery to the Independence Gun Shop in Duncansville, Pa., a borough of 1,200 people about 90 miles east of Pittsburgh. The broker had been paid $1,589 for the weapon, according to the invoice.

A shipping label on the box bore the gun store’s name and address. A second label, with Horvitz’s name and address, also had been affixed to the box. Exactly who made the mistake remains unclear, as do the whereabouts of Horvitz’s TV set.

A few minutes after Horvitz opened the box, his wife arrived home, followed shortly by their eight guests. “None of us has any experience handling rifles,” Horvitz said, adding that he and his companions share a general aversion to firearms: “I personally would like to see all assault weapons banned,” he said.

The group enjoyed a potluck dinner with a North African and Mediterranean theme — the evening’s conversation enlivened by the surprise parcel. Horvitz, his wife and their friends stared at the gun, regarding it as a museum piece from an exotic culture.

“At first it seemed funny,” Horvitz said. “And then as it started to sink in more, it seemed like a more serious situation. We were totally shocked and confused. We sort of mulled over what to do. And we looked up quite a lot of information about the weapon.”

Finally, Horvitz phoned the D.C. police (and made another call, for good measure, bringing the matter to the attention of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence). A while later, two patrol officers arrived at the apartment, asked a few questions, took a quick read of the invoice, then gathered up the rifle and drove away.

In tiny Duncansville, the gun shop owner, Jason Shirley, said that under federal law, someone buying a SIG716 on the Internet has to use a licensed firearms dealer as a conduit. Shirley said he was acting as a middle man for an occasional customer of his, a gun enthusiast he identified only as “a local surgeon.”

As for Horvitz, he just wants his TV.

“I’ve contacted Amazon,” he said, “and disputed the order.”

Re: Never Happens To Me

Of all the worst places for a firearm to accidentally get mailed...a musician from SF's house while he's having a mediterranean and north american pot luck dinner with the "general aversion to firearms" crowd. This has probably happened more than once, but the recipient probably just said jackpot and kept it to himself.

I would have "forgot" I received it for a day and shot the lands and grooves out of it while waiting for the UPS-man to return. Could you imagine calling the police in rural america reporting a rifle was accidentally delivered to your house.

911 Caller: Yes, a rifle was accidentally delivered to my house.
Dispatcher: Cool. What did you get?
911 Caller: I did not order this rifle, nor did I pay for it.
Dispatcher: Even better! Can I come over after my shift is done. I have a new load I cooked up last night.
911 Caller: I don't want it. Guns are scary.
Dispatcher: I'm sending out a unit for a metal health check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hajjwhisperer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all the worst places for a firearm to accidentally get mailed...a musician from SF's house while he's having a mediterranean and north american pot luck dinner with the "general aversion to firearms" crowd. This has probably happened more than once, but the recipient probably just said jackpot and kept it to himself. </div></div>

No shit, they should have been having an Asian potluck.WTF were they thinking.

an "off the records" rifle... are you kidding me...
I would give UPS a few days, but if they didn't figure it out on their own, it's their bad. The reciever would file a freight claim with UPS & UPS would be out $1500 bucks.
That puppy would be properly stored in an emergency container with plenty of ammo / silica gel packs & burried in the back yard.
As far as the Asian pot luck... I'll have some cat on a stick with some cocuntsauce please !

No doubt! I would probably even reply to a solicitation to rate the "TV" I received and I would give excellent marks for customer service, since they know how to treat me as a customer.

I do love how the news in Seattle is reporting this as a "Military Grade Assault Weapon".