• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Never work in the cannabis industry..

Nepa1990

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2021
USA
First thing I’ll say is no, I do not partake in the consumption of marijuana.

A year ago, while I was working at a smaller family-run CNC shop (mill operator) I came across a job listing for industrial maintenance. The job paid $8/hr more than I was making, with much better benefits and PTO. Monday through Thursday dayshift schedule. This being a no-brainer, I was offered the job and accepted.

What I didn’t realize was that the money I was making, most banks consider “dirty” and auto & home loans are almost impossible to secure without some form of questionable doings. Which is huge for, because at 33Y/O I’m finally in the position to buy my first home.

So now here I am. A year later, unable to make these dreams a possibility (something I wish I’d known beforehand) and am now forced to look for work again, fearing I will never land anything because I work in cannabis and therefore, I must be a dirty lazy pothead.

To all of you, never consider this career. I’ve been in manufacturing for 15 years and thought I’d jump into “the next frontier”, but it’s holding me back from what I’d like to do.

tenor (1).gif

Most mj businesses run under a business name that is different than Jose's pot shop and most always use W-2's.. Nothing should prevent you from getting a home loan.
We do use an LLC, but the bank ALWAYS finds out. Had a co-workers lender pull out a week before she closed, roughly a month ago.

Then tell us the rest of the story.
It all boils down to Cannabis being a scheduled substance in the eyes of the Fed. Banks don’t like touching the money (had a branch manager tell me that a few years ago).

I’m automatically disqualified for things such as an FHA, etc. I don’t feel it’s right, it’s just the way things are currently. I took this job because it allowed me a much better work/life balance, better pay and benefits.

Some of you probably laughed at my initial disclaimer but no, I actually don’t use cannabis. I used to drink a whole hell of a lot & if I were to partake, it’d be back to square one. I like where I’m at these days on even footing, life’s actually been blessing me a lot during this time.

Reactions: lash and Baron23
So… wait… you’re a machinist at a pot shop? :unsure:
Industrial maintenance. Most of my day is spent addressing, and fixing any issues that are brought up by people on the floor, recording gauge readings/checking fluid levels. It’s not a bad gig, which is why I’m a little frustrated with everything that follows.

Industrial maintenance. Most of my day is spent addressing, and fixing any issues that are brought up by people on the floor, recording gauge readings/checking fluid levels. It’s not a bad gig, which is why I’m a little frustrated with everything that follows.
Maybe you need to start using your employer’s product. It won’t change anything, but you’ll feel better about it.

Nepa 1990. Didn’t you start a thread before about a job? And landlord disputes?
I don’t look much in my post history, but I probably did. I was drinking heavily for quite a time. I was at a bad spot in my life, no shame to admit, but I have no use going back.

So, for whoever I t*cked off in any of my posts, or made myself seem like a jack*ss, I apologize.

The industry is still in the adjustment phase, while they let everyone get used to it. Still in the "vote buying" stage. Once folks get used to "thinking it's legal" and having it everywhere, the other shoe will drop. Shoe, government boot, you know. Once everyone is acclimated, once there are no more votes to buy with the issue, then the state and feds will start to crack down. Is your weed still in its government approved taxed stamped original container? No? Well then off to jail with you for tax evasion! The bucks will really start rolling in! The war on drugs will kick in anew, and in high gear since now it's competition and revenue loss. Oh boy!

Have you spoken with any of your co-workers or employer about your problem and how they resolved the issue? Or do they all rent?

It’s not as simple as that.

It’s sort of like the way banks are fucking with the gun industry. They just simply look at any funds that come through the company or employee as being illegal (at the fed level) and potentially all subject to seizure. So giving a loan when an employee is technically in an illegal business, is not in the banks interest.

Company we use to do a lot of high-end sheet, metal bending and fabrication got a huge contract to make stainless steel industrial equipment for liberating THC from plants and creating the chemicals to make edibles. It was a huge contract for them. Well into six figures. It was nothing more than sheetmetal bending, and food grade welding.

Was an absolute shit show for them. Legitimate business that’s been around for 50 years and all they were hired to do as contractors was make industrial cooking equipment for lack of a better term.

OP is not wrong. As much as we are wasting our time keeping that shit on the banned list. It’s unfortunately still on the banned list at a federal level. And that means the banking infrastructure.

Bummer about the house. Unfortunately, the industry does continue to prey on legitimate businesses and not tell people the whole truth about the limitations on their ability to operate in the financial system.

Hopefully you’ll be able to work it out. Cheers.

Sirhr

Sounds like you just need a new job

Away from the pot

If you are a machinist (which you just started doing about 2 years ago from your prior posts), how are you making more money working at the pot house?

I thought guys who can run lathes and other crap make good money, no?

@Huskydriver any thoughts?

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need a new job

Away from the pot

If you are a machinist (which you just started doing about 2 years ago from your prior posts), how are you making more money working at the pot house?

I thought guys who can run lathes and other crap make good money, no?
Never messed around on a lathe. I ran press brakes for a few years manufacturing sheet metal components, and then went over into CNC machining, where I ran 4 axis gantry/bridge style mills in the aerospace arena.

Reactions: lash
Never messed around on a lathe. I ran press brakes for a few years manufacturing sheet metal components, and then went over into CNC machining, where I ran 4 axis gantry/bridge style mills in the aerospace arena.
Ok and that didn’t answer the question of in theory, wouldn’t that kinda work make wayyy more money? Especially if you want to a bigger shop?

Hey OP… if you are in Northern OH (a bit east of Cleveland) I have a Buddy who needs a CNC machinist in a big way. Cool company. Cool work. All legit.
Ok and that didn’t answer the question of in theory, wouldn’t that kinda work make wayyy more money? Especially if you want to a bigger shop?
In my area? Not really. There’s a shop local to me that’s pretty nice, but they will only hire grads of a tech school. Listen, I get that. You can’t have people off the street coming in crashing $500K+ machines. I offered to come in, interview, demonstrate what I know (and explain what I don’t). It’s just most places aren’t interested. I loved the work.

I've heard that from several people. I live about 30 minutes from a pot plant and one of my coworkers lives just outside that town. He knows quite a few people there since it's in a small town with under 2k people. Locals love it because it isn't a 30-45 mile commute, they can smoke weed, and they even get a joint for a penny on Fridays.

I don’t look much in my post history, but I probably did. I was drinking heavily for quite a time. I was at a bad spot in my life, no shame to admit, but I have no use going back.

So, for whoever I t*cked off in any of my posts, or made myself seem like a jack*ss, I apologize.

Did you know, it's okay to write entire words on this forum?

Ticked.
Jackass.
Hell, you can write motherfucker, bitch, dipshit, fuckface, twat, cunt and even poop. Ask @powdahound76