• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New “old” rifles

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
I just inherited my grandfathers old rifles. He passed in 1996 and his rifles were sitting in his safe , untouched since. They were finally handed down to me.

He was meticulous and quite the shooter. He still holds several NJ varmint records for most groundhogs taken in a single season.

Since his rifles sat, there is some small amount of pitting and rust, which id like to get fixed. Are there any really solid shops that you can recommend for this work? I don’t mind shipping them out if the work is good.

I’ve got all mostly 1960-1980 models….
Rem 700 in 223, 308, 243, 270
Kimber 84 in 223
Weatherby Mk5 in 25-06, lefty
Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 6PPC (1990s I think)
Rem 760 pump in 270
HR break action in 220 swift
Ruger 77/22 22lr
Weatherby 220 swift (unknown model)
And one full custom in 22-250.

Some are pristine. Some need some light tlc. But none are in really in rough shape.

Thanks in advance. I’ll try to post pics tomorrow.

Reactions: HogsLife
I just inherited my grandfathers old rifles. He passed in 1996 and his rifles were sitting in his safe , untouched since. They were finally handed down to me.

He was meticulous and quite the shooter. He still holds several NJ varmint records for most groundhogs taken in a single season.

Since his rifles sat, there is some small amount of pitting and rust, which id like to get fixed. Are there any really solid shops that you can recommend for this work? I don’t mind shipping them out if the work is good.

I’ve got all mostly 1960-1980 models….
Rem 700 in 223, 308, 243, 270
Kimber 84 in 223
Weatherby Mk5 in 25-06, lefty
Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 6PPC (1990s I think)
Rem 760 pump in 270
HR break action in 220 swift
Ruger 77/22 22lr
Weatherby 220 swift (unknown model)
And one full custom in 22-250.

Some are pristine. Some need some light tlc. But none are in really in rough shape.

Thanks in advance. I’ll try to post pics tomorrow.
I haven’t used them but I’ve heard good things about them.

I haven’t used them but I’ve heard good things about them.

Very spendy! Not the right guys for mild cleanup, only because cost will be high.

What the OP is describing he can do at home. Or a lot of local gunsmiths can handle in terms of cleaning, rust spots and the like.

Get a couple of books on hobby gunsmithing or watch some of the YouTube videos by guys like Larry Potterfield (annoying, but does good videos) or Brownells. Most of the maintenance and clean up is easily within the realm of the owner.

Sirhr