• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New 1-8 scopes @shot?

Pointman308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Idaho
Are there any new midrange 1-8 offerings coming out this year at shot besides Nightforce?

There are two Nightforce models. Both very nice. The ATACR 1-8x has a much larger eyepiece and eyebox, making it better for tactial 1x and immediate switch to 8x. The other is just as nice, but not as forgiving in the target aquisition, and 40% of the cost.

S&B is still working on releasing thier 1-8x with dual focal plane. Very nice.

The surprise for me was the 1-6x Steiner Mil scope. I think it is a little nicer than the NF, and a very clean reticle.

Honorable mention on the budget side goes to 1-8x ACSS Primary Arms scope, as well as Sightron FFP milrad, while not a 1-8x, they have come a long way with the SVSED 4.5-45x.

I really liked the Steiner as well.

I spent a lot of time pouring over the new NF scopes and I have to say I have some disappointment. The new reticle is fantastic. I think they hit on all points with that. But the ATACR simply lacks the wow power to justify it's price tag. There will be people who buy it because it's a Nightforce, but beyond the reticle, I fail to see any reason to spend $1000 to $1500 more for it over some other offerings.

I liked the NX8 for someone looking for a very small, lightweight 8x scope. I really think that's it's niche. But if size and weight aren't your priority, you give up a lot of great features compared to some other manufacturers and still pay $1700.

Again, people will buy it because it says NF on the side. But you can get just as much scope for less money elsewhere.

I spent a lot of time pouring over the new NF scopes and I have to say I have some disappointment. The new reticle is fantastic. I think they hit on all points with that. But the ATACR simply lacks the wow power to justify it's price tag. There will be people who buy it because it's a Nightforce, but beyond the reticle, I fail to see any reason to spend $1000 to $1500 more for it over some other offerings.

I liked the NX8 for someone looking for a very small, lightweight 8x scope. I really think that's it's niche. But if size and weight aren't your priority, you give up a lot of great features compared to some other manufacturers and still pay $1700.

Again, people will buy it because it says NF on the side. But you can get just as much scope for less money elsewhere.

Please elaborate on the features given up versus some other manufacturers...

The biggest thing that stuck out to me about the NX8 was the glass and the eyebox. There was noticeable CA in one of the two displays I looked through. Looking at the bright ceiling lights you could see the yellowing as you traveled to the edge. I pointed it out to my girlfriend and she picked it up quickly as well. The NF rep on hand said it was just the nature of indoor lighting, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But only one of them showed it.

But the eyebox was different than the ATACR. It wasn't as big and easy to get behind. Statistically all you give up to a lot of other options is the 30mm tube versus 34mm. And no option that I could tell for a capped or lockable top turret. So to say you give up a "lot" probably isn't fair. I believe I was lumping in that it didn't feel like as nice a quality scope as some others I have looked at.

For me it boiled down to this. I like the NX8. Great compact, light weight scope. But $1000 would be more fair based on my humble opinion of it's quality and competition. The ATACR is a fantastic scope, but again, $2700 is far more than it should cost based on it's quality and competition.

To a value shopper like myself looking for the most bang for my buck, neither of these scopes are it. I can find just as good for less from other manufacturers. But like I said, I'm sure people will like it and buy it. They don't care about the price, they want a Nightforce. It's worth whatever those people are willing to pay.

How much does Burris/Steiner pay to to inject that coolaide up your ass?

Reactions: diverdon
It might take awhile. Either the dude is getting paid to shill or he is so bias that his opinion is worthless. Never seen such an obvious shill in a gunboard before.

It might take awhile. Either the dude is getting paid to shill or he is so bias that his opinion is worthless. Never seen such an obvious shill in a gunboard before.
I've seen a few. He has not talked me out of the ATACAR. I need a juicy eyebox at 1X.

I'm not even that big of a fan of NF but to not recognize that these two 1-8 offerings are about to take the crown as the the best LPO on the market is just silly. Vortex on the cheap end and Leupold on the high end are going to loose alot of sales to nightforce over the coming years. Now watch his clown talk about how a $400 stiener or xtr2 is just as good at half the price. ROFL.

How much does Burris/Steiner pay to to inject that coolaide up your ass?
Why the hurt feelings.

I never once mentioned Burris optics. My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's on this forum and i can keep the bias to myself when sharing my opinion.

Buy one if you want to. No one is stopping you. I'm sure the scopes will sell really well. Nightforce makes great scopes. I jave zero issues with the quality of these scopes, but I think they are overpriced, which doesn't deter anyone who wants one. No amount of whining about "corporate schills" will change my opinion. Stop taking it personal.

Last edited:
I've seen a few. He has not talked me out of the ATACAR. I need a juicy eyebox at 1X.
The eyebox on the ATACR is really good. A lot like the GII 1-6. Good clarity edge to edge.

I AM going to mention my Burris scope now, at the risk of making Primus foam at the mouth(or in hopes of). My 1.5-8 was a huge scope for this category. It made everything look small once I got used to it. What's really surprising is how compact these are. You see the dimensions on paper, but once you see the NF on the gun, it's surprising. The NX8 is tiny.

Last edited:
Why the hurt feelings.

I never once mentioned Burris optics. My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's on this forum and i can keep the bias to myself when sharing my opinion.

Buy one if you want to. No one is stopping you. I'm sure the scopes will sell really well. Nightforce makes great scopes. But for the money, I'm not impressed. I think they are overpriced, which doesn't deter anyone who wants one. No amount of whining about "corporate schills" will change my opinion. Stop taking it personal.
Never mentioned Burris? Really? Do you have amnesia? You have been posting about "much Burris" at least since I have been on the board and a quick search would reveal way before that. When people read your name they ,like me, probably say here goes the Burris/Steiner shill again...before ever reading your posts.

Yes, I'm on Burris' shooting team. I support them here on the forums, as would anyone else who is fortunate enough to have a sponsor for this gig. To say they treat me great is an understatement.

Ive been here on the Hide a few years, and I think most folks here understand that and accept it without getting all wrapped around the axle about it. Im certainly not the only one on the forums looking out for their brand.

Mostly I stay in my lane on Burris posts. I do post when I think Burris has a good fit for what a poster is looking for.

But having said that, it doesn't mean I'm incapable of forming a valid opinion on my brand or anyone else's. It doesn't mean I can't disapprove of another scope or vendor. I should be able to share my opinions and experiences just like everyone else on the board without someone taking offense.

So you can be upset about what I say, or you can take what I say with a grain of salt and just move along. At the end of the day, it's just people talking about scopes. It's nothing to get upset about.

Reactions: Pointman308
They couldn't afford me.
Thats nice. Why don't you write an equally compelling answer to Birddog's question as to why everyone is allowed an opinion right up until they become affiliated with a company? Or is it just Birddog or Burris that sets you off? Do you go after Rob01 for his affiliations?
It's not a secret that there are a few company reps on this site. If Birddog jumped into every Vortex/Leupold/NF/Bushnell etc. thread putting down those manufacturers while name dropping Burris I could understand your dislike. As it is I don't see anything underhanded about the way Birddog posts on this site.

I looked at both NX8 and ATACR F1 rather carefuly at SHOT. Both seem like very respectable designs, but it is hard to make too many conclusions at a tradeshow. The illumination brightness is a standout feature.

ATACR is pretty forgiving in terms of eye position, but the problem is that it is priced to compete with a bunch of very competent designs, like Minox ZP5, Elcan Spectre TR, S&B PMII, etc. That is a tough category and I am very curious to see how it will do.

Personally, I am more interested in the NX8, specifically because of how compact it is. I would much preferred the reticle from the ATACR in the NX8, but either way, it is very much worth a look.

Also, keep in mind that there are some other scopes coming out that will compete in this category, so it will be interesting to see how things will shake up.

Crowning the any one scope as the king of low power variables is a little premature, since the competition there is fierce. A lot will come down to reticles and illumination. I was quite impressed with PA's Griffin Mil and Nightforce's FC-DM, but I am sure otehr companies are going to be updating their reticles as well.

Generally, I plan to look at a bunch of 1-8x scopes in the $1k to $2k range during the coming year. I am not sure how many of them I will be able to get my hands on, but NX8 is definitely on my list. The $2.5k and up category is also interesting, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to it this year.
ILya

Reactions: TacT-MecH
Also, keep in mind that there are some other scopes coming out that will compete in this category, so it will be interesting to see how things will shake up.

As in this year or next? I thought for sure US Optics would have had a new 1-8 at shot this year.

I looked at both NX8 and ATACR F1 rather carefuly at SHOT. Both seem like very respectable designs, but it is hard to make too many conclusions at a tradeshow. The illumination brightness is a standout feature.

ATACR is pretty forgiving in terms of eye position, but the problem is that it is priced to compete with a bunch of very competent designs, like Minox ZP5, Elcan Spectre TR, S&B PMII, etc. That is a tough category and I am very curious to see how it will do.

Personally, I am more interested in the NX8, specifically because of how compact it is. I would much preferred the reticle from the ATACR in the NX8, but either way, it is very much worth a look.

Crowning the any one scope as the king of low power variables is a little premature, since the competition there is fierce. A lot will come down to reticles and illumination. I was quite impressed with PA's Griffin Mil and Nightforce's FC-DM, but I am sure otehr companies are going to be updating their reticles as well.

Generally, I plan to look at a bunch of 1-8x scopes in the $1k to $2k range during the coming year. I am not sure how many of them I will be able to get my hands on, but NX8 is definitely on my list. The $2.5k and up category is also interesting, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to it this year.
ILya

For the last couple years the vortex 1-6 and the MK8 1.1-8 have been the kings in their respective price ranges.

I don't care what game gunners use nor what people who don't take their guns into harm use. The Gen 2 Vortex and Mk8 have been king and that is not really debatable. Before that, the NXS 1-4, S&B 1.1-4 and to a much lesser extent the 2.5-10x24 were the only LPV's worth owning.

The NXS and ATACR bring all the features people want (Good eyebox, DAYLIGHT bright illum, solid tracking, usable reticles and FFP) into the same package. USO was sort of close with the 1-8 but it was poorly executed and wonky. March may have something with their 1-8 but its does not have a good reticle or thethe track record or that nightforce has making combat optics.

The new NF with their features will take over the LPV world until something as good or better comes along. Maybe S&B will unfuck their self after trying for half a decade to get the 1-8 to work. Maybe Bushnell with get the DFP tech down and give us a daylight bright optic. Maybe if Kahles or Swaro ever came out with a usable reticle or Trijicon could figure out how to do daylight illum in their 1-x's. No one is using that Elcan Garbage besides fanboys who bought them because non shooting retards at SOCOM decided to select them.

If it can't be used like a red dot on 1x then it is useless.

Mark my words, unless some other optic comparable to the NF offerings comes out from a respected company, they will own the market. Even vortex has been resting on its ass and the best they can do is shave a few oz off a 5 year old product.

ILya

I think the NX8 is going to be the big seller. I have no doubt the ATACR will do well also, but my money is on the smaller 8x as being the one that puts up good sales numbers.

I think the NX8 is going to be the big seller. I have no doubt the ATACR will do well also, but my money is on the smaller 8x as being the one that puts up good sales numbers.

I think your right. I’m not sure about the need for a 34mm 8x scope? Would love to see more 30mm options.

If they put the ATACR reticle in the NX8, it would be the perfect LPV. But they probably won't because they would end up selling 10:1 and they won't cannibalize their own lineup.

I don't care what game gunners use nor what people who don't take their guns into harm use. The Gen 2 Vortex and Mk8 have been king and that is not really debatable. Before that, the NXS 1-4, S&B 1.1-4 and to a much lesser extent the 2.5-10x24 were the only LPV's worth owning.

Bingo! Go take your 3-gun or square range expertise elsewhere, these optics weren't designed for you.

Reactions: Nemain
Bingo! Go take your 3-gun or square range expertise elsewhere, these optics weren't designed for you.

Why can’t we use them to play games? Where I come from we call it practice...

I would have to disagree with you here.

The ATACR? Yeh, kinda pricey for most 3 gunners, and the reticle design isn't ideal for faster acquisitions and transitioning. I think the niche of this scope is in the LPV DMR. But I'm sure someone will love it for 3 Gun.

But the NX8........ it almost looks like it was designed with 3 gunners in mind. Super lightweight and compact, a simple, open reticle with a large illuminated center, built in cattail on the mag ring, 8x magnification, capped windage, sub 2k price point. I'll bet the farm I will see these on 3 Gun rifles this year.

Just because it works for games doesn't mean it was designed as such. The fact is the best combat optics end up being the best gamer optics due to actual quality and features. It's not like a guy carrying a rifle up the side of a mountain wants light weight, compact and simple to use optic that is reliable.

Why use inferior quality shit when you can use something more robust and proven. That's a big duh.

I agree, they are pretty much one in the same.

Maybe when these guys design these optics, they try to cover all aspects of how they will be used. That would certainly make sense.

At the end of the day, it's about hitting what you are shooting at. So it stands to reason that what works for one thing works for another. So it doesn't really make sense for someone to think these optics weren't designed for something other than combat or leo/military usage.

Last edited:
Personally, pretty excited about NF newest offering.. was really hoping for a 1-10 though.

As the erector multiple increases the complexity of a FFP reticle increases dramatically. A 1-10 would be could unusable.

I was really hoping for a 1-8x36 or 1.5-10x36 but I guess I'm the only one wanting a light/compact scope with better eyebox and small Christmas tree reticle

Reactions: lawofsavage
I was really hoping for a 1-8x36 or 1.5-10x36 but I guess I'm the only one wanting a light/compact scope with better eyebox and small Christmas tree reticle

You're not the only one. See someone else's prior comment on the ATACR reticle in the NX8 being a nice combo, if they'd do it.
For the $ to go to the ATACR, I'd likely go with the Minox.

Did USO have a replacement for the SR8c this year at SHOT?

I know they are not in the same class but Bushnell has a new 1-8 in its ar line and Millett has a new 1-8 tac. Believe both to be illuminated. One of my distributors lists both as coming soon but I can't find any additional info on them. They are not listed on either co's websites.

Illumination is worthless unless it is daylight bright and can substitute a red dot. This is why, 90% of LPV's are trash and useless.