• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 10/22 optics help

LockOut

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
Rochester NY
I'm looking for a scope for a 10/22 project. looking at a leupold vx1 3-9 right now. anyone have any recommendations. both cheaper and more expensive. gun isn't going to be super high end but decent. mainly a bipod shooter, not so much off a bench.

specs of the build so far are (picked it up this way minus the bipod, may be changing a few things, let me know what your recomendations are)

Adams and Bennet HB 16" .920,
Hogue Overmold Stock in OD Green,
Power Custom Competition Hammer,
Volquartsen Extended Magazine Release,
Volquartsen Hex Head Takedown Screw
Power Custom Titanium Sharp Claw Extractor
Harris 9-13" Bipod

I'm new to the world of 22, this will be my first real "build", so any advice is always welcomed from the resident experts. Thanks

Re: New 10/22 optics help

You're on the right track. You could probably get a Nikon or Bushnell with target knobs in the same price range.

Leupold sets most of its scopes to be parrallax (sp) free at 150 yards. Get a scope with an adjustable objective or send yours to Leupold and have parrallax set at 75-100. Its usually free.

I have a Mueller APV on my 10/22 and I love it. Magnification is 4.5-14 with AO Good clean glass and never had a problem with holding zero after being dropped.

Depends on what you want to do. Keep in mind that a 22lr drops off really fast, so many scopes won't have enough adjustment to reach past 150 yards.

I like running the bushnell 3200 elite tactical 5-15 on 22s. It still does not have much adjustment but with the mildots you can easily get out to 200 yards once you figure out your hold overs. It also has a paralax adjustable under 15 yards. This is a big issue. Many rifle scopes are parallax set to 100-150 yards. While the parallax itself is not a huge issue, the problem is many of them will not focus under 50 yards, especially at higher powers. For example the 3-9x tac 30 burris scope is still fuzzy at 50 yards on 9x you have to turn the power way down to get a sharp image.

So you definitely want something that's parallax adjustable to at least 25 yards. Leupold makes a 3-9x rimfire scope that has an adjustable objective, not a horrible option.

Overall I would look for something with a ballistic or mildot type reticule. An adjustable objective to be parallax free at 25 yards or less. If you want to dial adjustments in to long ranges 150+ yards you also want something with a lot of internal adjustment 60-80+ moa, and then add a 20 moa scope mount to the combo.

Nikon Buckmaster, 4.5-14x mildot reticle. Nice little glass for around $300. Leupold QR rings (1"). EGW 25 MOA base.

nikon6.jpg

My 10/22 wears a Weaver 4x32 and I really like it. The fixed power reminds me of the limited range, and it is clear and bright.

And the price is right.

+1 on the Mueller APV. Great price and good service at Mizzou Muleguns. Rich at Mueller responds to e-mail questions quickly. Their warranty says you need to have the receipt but Rich offered to take a look at a used scope I picked up that would not change magnification (no problems - turned out the previous owner loosened the set screw on the magnification ring). The scope is very bright and holds zero extremely well. If you need more magnification, they also make an 8.5-25 that has mildots. I worried that a cheap scope would be a bad decision but posts on rimfirecentral convinced me otherwise. They seem to love it over there for bench and field work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alanjtc73n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Mueller APV. Great price and good service at Mizzou Muleguns. Rich at Mueller responds to e-mail questions quickly. Their warranty says you need to have the receipt but Rich offered to take a look at a used scope I picked up that would not change magnification (no problems - turned out the previous owner loosened the set screw on the magnification ring). The scope is very bright and holds zero extremely well. If you need more magnification, they also make an 8.5-25 that has mildots. I worried that a cheap scope would be a bad decision but posts on rimfirecentral convinced me otherwise. They seem to love it over there for bench and field work. </div></div>

+2 It's a solid scope for the money. I had one on my 10/22 until I started playing in rimfire tactical matches. It didn't have mil-dots, so it made holdovers that much harder. I had to guess what 18" of drop looked like at 170yds.
wink.gif

Now I've got a Falcon Menace on there, but my match standings haven't really improved a whole bunch. Guess there's more to driving the rifle than the scope.
whistle.gif

i am going to put a millet 1-4 dms on mine

my old 3-9 22 mag scope wont hold zero anymore