• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship New 10FP--1st shots in 23+ yrs

shaneoc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2008
parkland, fl 33067
I bought a new Savage 10FP

DSCN0208-1.jpg

Today is the first day i have shot a centerfire in 23+ yrs and i need help and a lot of practice. The first thing i noticed is the garbage stock!! I can't get a good cheek weld, I am all over the place...
This is from 25 yds sighting in scope...bottom left was last group for this target

DSCN0218.jpg

This is from 100 yds...the bottom right was the last group for this target

DSCN0220.jpg

This is from 100 yds also
As you can tell i started @ the top (all over the place--but shot better when i was shooting the bottom 4

DSCN0222.jpg

I was using a bipod and my left hand under the butt stock but i was real shaky
I really enjoyed shooting again!! I am reading everything from the forum here (advanced marksmanship) so i start with the correct fundamentals and practice, practice and practice..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New 10FP--1st shots in 23+ yrs

Very nice rifle, and not bad shooting either. I would suggest enroling in the online classes here at the hide. At just $10 a month, you won't find better advice to get you on the right track.

make sure your reciever screws are tight and check for anything loose in the mounts or rings. settle in close your eyes, breathe, open, check for natural point of aim, breathe, smooth pull. hope any of that helps and congrats on the purchase, ive never found a bad savage.

I read the fundamental of marksmanship over and over to burn it into my brain......just like playing ball in school....fundamentals,fundamentals,fundamentals

I will change the tupperware stock soon as i can fit it into the budget...i think that will make a big difference...I will go with the McRee stock
http://www.mcreesprecision.net/hunter.htm

I know my Savage will hit the bull, its just up to me to use proper technique

Are those manufacturer's ammo? Are they match grade? Nice stick. I am sure that your result will improve with a little more time with the trigger and perhaps some handloading.

Factory Commercial Black Hills 168 Grain Match Hollow Point Boat Tail Moly
I think i am going to use some Winchester or Sellier & Bellot 147 gr FMJ @ $13 a box till i get better because i think it is a waste of $$ shooting $30 a box ammo until i improve
Also i have a Pod Lock on the way

One of the workarounds for using the basic Savage plastic stock is to lose the bipod and use rest that's been moved back to under the front stock/action screw.

This requires more care in aiming, but also counteracts the forend's springiness. With good ammo and marksmanship 1/4MOA should be attainable.

Learn about parallax, and be utterly religious about well disciplined trigger manipulation.

The Savage stocks have not been easy to use to their potential in the past. But they can be accurate with the proper, if unique, technique.

I can't speak with experience about the AccuStock, but on paper, it looks like a winner.

Greg

Cheap ammo is seldom a bargain in a precision rifle. It's just not consistent, and the ultimate outcome involves disappointment and frustration. Get or make decent handloads.

Use commercial brass. Primers are so hard to find exactly what you want that I'm just going to say use large rifle primers, non-magnum, from the popular makers, and if you can't get match primers, use what you can get for those large makers.

155gr-46.0gr Varget
165-168gr-45.5gr Varget
175-180gr-45.0gr Varget

H4895 can also be used but the loads are different and I can't knowledgeably provide them.

Greg

Have the same rifle and COULD NOT get it to shoot consistently. My Bell and Carlson Medalist stock should be here today in fact. I'll let you know how it works out. Anything has to be better than that POS tupperware stock it came with.

I've got the hs precision stock on mine but if your looking to upgrade the savage try looking at www.sharpshootersupply.com the specialize I. Savages and have everything from tactical bolt handles, stocks, triggers, barrels, and alot more accesories. I run the 178 amax's with win brass with about 43.5 of rl15. I'm getting 2600 fps out of it. I've loaded it 2.260 to the ogive. I am kissing the lands. 3/8's moa at 100 and 1/2 at 300.

That is the exact same load I'm experimenting with. Not that this is terribly relevant, but it shoots moa to 275. I'm working on squeaking a little more distance out of my range situation.

My 10FP is the best shooting rifle I have... And it's shooting through the factory barrel! It has been sent to Sharp Shooter Supply and had the rest of it worked over though. I suggest that for you, they can true the action, put a nice trigger in, bed the stock, and you might see some real improvement. They prices are reasonable too.

Also, it should have a 10 twist barrel, try a heavier bullet. Maybe the BH 175's.

I shoot a 185gr Berger VLD through mine and th load I have absolutely bug holes.

If you reload, PM me and I;ll bive you the recipe to try out.

I have had 4 Savages in the past. 3 FP models (.223 &.308) and a BVSS 112 (old model) in .223.

The plastic stocks on the FP's are a bit "cheap" but you can still achieve good results, don't let it get you down. For the money you really can't beat them. All I ever did to mine was tune the triggers and one I had the barrel chopped to 20". This was about 9 or 10 years ago, well before Savage was offering it. It made for a light well handling rig.

I say you're on the right track though.

As far as the cheek weld. Might want to try a stock pack.

Also on the moly ammo.... I thought you could not shoot moly and then go back to regular ammo. At least without thorough removal.

Just wondering.

No, you need to get the moly out before shooting naked bullets again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, you need to get the moly out before shooting naked bullets again. </div></div>

Moly comes out with a normal good ol' cleaning right? nothing special is needed to take moly out of a barrel correct?

As already mentioned a better stock couldn't hurt, 175gr. ammo or reloads can only help, try shooting prone with the bipod on a soft surface to reduce bounce, and use a rear rest of some kind to steady the butt of the rifle.

Those are just a few things that have helped me anyway...

If you can afford it I'd pass on the Choate stock and pick up a McMillan or HS from the For Sale section or EBay. There have been a couple listed in the recent past.

+2 on skipping the bipod on the Tupperware stock and use a set of bags. The forearm is just too spongy / flimsy and pushes around way to easy.