• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 16" upper - LMT, ADM or LWRC?

MK19

Just another dork
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
SWVA
www.damonedwards.com
I have a nice ADM UIC lower built how I like it and I'm looking for a 16" upper solution. I have always liked the idea of LMT's MRP platform, which I can get in a 13.25" w/16" barrel for $1200. My next option is an ADM complete upper w/BCG, CH and FH for the same price. Next up is an option I have no real info on other than the tremendous rep and excellent reviews and that is an upper from LWRC. LWRC offers a multitude of options in 16", so I am not even sure where to begin there.
My goal is to have a decent mix of reliabilty and accuracy. I just ordered a SF SOCOM556 RC2 and plan on using this upper suppressed a fair amount so I imagine that will also help dictate which direction is best. I know these matters are subject to a lot of personal preference and unfortunately I do not have a lot of personal experience to fall back on, much less with any of the mentioned company's options. I really appreciate any and all input.

Honestly from a practical standpoint, all are really good uppers, and I really doubt one would significantly out perform the other other under most scenarios.

With that being said, I am biased towards LMT's, I am a fan of the mrp's flexibility when it comes to being able to swap barrels if one wants to

Last edited:
Reactions: FatCow and Dogtown
The monolithic LMT uppers are awesome and the quick change barrel feature makes them extremely versatile (also piston vs DI). Just be aware that the newer slick rails like the MLC and MLR seem to have a smaller ID than the older MRP (quad rail) upper. The result is that I have to take off all of the MLOK attachments to be able to get a med/heavy profile barrel out. It's not a problem with pencil barrels and didn't seem to be an issue with the MRP. Also, you can get a custom barrel spun up and DWilson can convert it to being LMT quick change compliant.

I haven't used them all; but i won an LMT and from findings i don't think the quality is going to be that much different.

I have a nice ADM UIC lower built how I like it and I'm looking for a 16" upper solution. I have always liked the idea of LMT's MRP platform, which I can get in a 13.25" w/16" barrel for $1200. My next option is an ADM complete upper w/BCG, CH and FH for the same price. Next up is an option I have no real info on other than the tremendous rep and excellent reviews and that is an upper from LWRC. LWRC offers a multitude of options in 16", so I am not even sure where to begin there.
My goal is to have a decent mix of reliabilty and accuracy. I just ordered a SF SOCOM556 RC2 and plan on using this upper suppressed a fair amount so I imagine that will also help dictate which direction is best. I know these matters are subject to a lot of personal preference and unfortunately I do not have a lot of personal experience to fall back on, much less with any of the mentioned company's options. I really appreciate any and all input.

I would personally suggest you to build an upper using quality components. Build a good suppressor host. Your RC2 will only be as good as the host.

I would suggest ADM billet upper, bcg and handguard.

Then get this Criterion hybrid 16" barrel with rifle length gas system.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/criter...l.html?_iv_code=2RR-ATB-RLHYBRID15-15160-HY12

opplanet-criterion-barrels-16in-hybrid-rifle-gas-system-barrel-chrome-lined-15160-hy12-main

This would be a fantastic suppressor host for the RC2 and is essentially an adm mod 2 upper with a different Criterion barrel. You can go adjustable gas block if you wanted as well or just tune with buffers.

I would personally suggest you to build an upper using quality components. Build a good suppressor host. Your RC2 will only be as good as the host.

I would suggest ADM billet upper, bcg and handguard.

Then get this Criterion hybrid 16" barrel with rifle length gas system.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/criter...l.html?_iv_code=2RR-ATB-RLHYBRID15-15160-HY12

opplanet-criterion-barrels-16in-hybrid-rifle-gas-system-barrel-chrome-lined-15160-hy12-main

This would be a fantastic suppressor host for the RC2 and is essentially an adm mod 2 upper with a different Criterion barrel. You can go adjustable gas block if you wanted as well or just tune with buffers.
I am very much debating building an upper with a DD 16" barrel. I have looked at the Criterion as well, but I hear so much about the DD. I think building is certainly cheaper and leaves me with more options, but a warranty is nice I suppose. I think I am more inclined on building, although I can get a good deal on a complete DDV7LW for $1075.

Buy a complete piston upper from LMT, LWRC, PWS,or Sig, and shoot the snot out of it!

Both my brother and I have LMT's currently, myself a suppressed/SBR'd MLC Pistol and my brother a suppressed 16" Defender line, both DI. We previously have owned LWRCs and they were solid, but I sold mine because the piston just wasn't cutting it for me when going for accuracy on paper when I couldn't afford the 360 range.

You really can't go wrong with any of these brands. I'd even argue unless you are burning barrels that the MAP isn't a huge deal. I'd go for what's cheapest and in stock.

One thing to note, the LMT's (at least ours) don't have adjustable gas blocks. So, this limits suppressor choice, imo.

I do not like ARs with proprietary stuff. I like the leggo like ability to change things from one rifle to the next. I think that LMT and LWRC have aspects of their rifle that are proprietary, not sure about ADM.

I am very much debating building an upper with a DD 16" barrel. I have looked at the Criterion as well, but I hear so much about the DD. I think building is certainly cheaper and leaves me with more options, but a warranty is nice I suppose. I think I am more inclined on building, although I can get a good deal on a complete DDV7LW for $1075.

DD uppers are overgassed and from my experience make bad hosts.

If you want a good suppressor host you want short dwell length. DI guns with short dwell are superior suppressor hosts to pistons. Shorter dwell length and easier to tune. Less gas in your face and better suppression at the ear.

Building is not about saving money imo it's about making a good suppressor host. Most companies aren't selling you something optimized for suppressed use. It's better to build with quality parts imo.

A 16" rifle length is where it's at for the RC2.

Also don't use a warcomp. Use a muzzle device with Labyrinth seals.

Lhnkvie.jpg

Reactions: ut755ln and FatCow
Honestly from a practical standpoint, all are really good uppers, and I really doubt one would significantly out perform the other other under most scenarios.

With that being said, I am biased towards LMT's, I am a fan of the mrp's flexibility when it comes to being able to swap barrels if one wants to
No, LMT is trash. Stop encouraging people to buy LMT so everything stops selling out in 5 minutes.