• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 17hmr owner what shoots best?

QRE23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2008
Wa.
I like the Vmax bullet in the 17 so what brand Fed. CCI Hornady shoots the best?

Savage stainless HB 17hmr

Re: New 17hmr owner what shoots best?

Out of my Ruger, 77/17 the Hornady is the most accurate, closly followed by Remington. My rifle shoots CCIs like crap.

I hope mine is like all of your's because not only is Hornady about the only thing available but it's the cheapest I've found too.

CCI makes all of the 17HMR ammo on the market. And it manufactures it all to the same specs... if you see brand variation, it is more likely lot-to-lot variation, not brand-to-brand variation... so just buy the cheapest and if you find a lot that works really well, buy a whole bunch of that lot.

Mine shoots the V-Max bullets the best by far. Neither the FMJ's nor the hollow points are very accurate, but the hollow points will do a number on a Coke bottle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CCI makes all of the 17HMR ammo on the market. And it manufactures it all to the same specs... if you see brand variation, it is more likely lot-to-lot variation, not brand-to-brand variation... so just buy the cheapest and if you find a lot that works really well, buy a whole bunch of that lot.

Mine shoots the V-Max bullets the best by far. Neither the FMJ's nor the hollow points are very accurate, but the hollow points will do a number on a Coke bottle. </div></div>

That's mostly true. Sort of. All made by same manufacturer, yes. All to same spec? No.

What I did: buy one box of each kind, shoot groups of 5 with each ammo cleaning in between, then do it again without cleaning...etc. Mix it up but keep the shots from each box and group appropriately segregated. Compare the results of that with the cost per X rounds and make a judgement call. For me, something from Federal or Remington (can't remember) was actually the best, but the difference between that and one of the Hornady rounds wasn't worth the 40% (at the time) premium over the Hornady prices. Once I had all of that done, I bought 500 rounds and was done for a while
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biglakesrule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I did: buy one box of each kind, shoot groups of 5 with each ammo cleaning in between, then do it again without cleaning...etc. Mix it up but keep the shots from each box and group appropriately segregated. Compare the results of that with the cost per X rounds and make a judgement call. For me, something from Federal or Remington (can't remember) was actually the best, but the difference between that and one of the Hornady rounds wasn't worth the 40% (at the time) premium over the Hornady prices. Once I had all of that done, I bought 500 rounds and was done for a while
wink.gif
</div></div>

+1

I did just that. Bought some of everything, then bought 2 cases of Hornady 17 grain V-Max.

I dont agree that CCI make all of the ammo...

Perhaps they put it all together, but i would say components are sourced from different locations.

If CCI make all of the 17hmr ammo out there, I need an explanation as to why CCI 17hmr ammo shoots like rubbish from my gun AND why all of the cases split at the neck.

Whereas the Hornady stuff shoots like gold and extracts clean without any split necks.

+1 for Hornady 17gr Vmax
laugh.gif

I read a review on ammo for my particular rifle way back and it said that Winchester V-Max was the best. So I used that and it shoots great. I haven't used anything else yet. I may try the Hornady, but for now the V-Max is definitely doin the job.

By the way, the review came from Varmint Al's, and was specifically for the Marlin 917V's.

http://varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Group Group Size (in) Mfg Ammo
A 0.364 Winchester Supreme V-Max 17 gr
B 0.588 Remington PR17HM1 AccuTip-V 17 gr
C 0.594 Hornady 17 gr V-Max
D 1.040 CCI TNT HP 17 gr
E 1.069 Hornady 20 gr XTP

Sorry to bust everyone's bubbles, but yes, call CCI and they will tell you that it is all to the same spec using the same components. There will be lot-to-lot variation on components and machinery like with any components. I shoot Eley Match for 22LR, and usually shoot through 10 - 20 boxes to find a lot that works well with my gun. Does Eley use different components for each lot? No. There is lot-to-lot variation.

So my advice stands. If you find a lot that shoots well in your gun, go back and buy all you can. It will be different once your retailer sells through that lot.

Bonnie and I used Federal V shok 17HMR in 200 yard matches. I've heard that CCI makes all of it but this is about where your head is. Some folks swear one brand works better than the others. We started with Federal, had great luck with them so we continued.

The bullets are a different story. That V shok bullet with the plastic ballistic tip is a more accurate projectile than the hollow points.

Flash

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROGER4314</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bonnie and I used Federal V shok 17HMR in 200 yard matches. I've heard that CCI makes all of it but this is about where your head is. Some folks swear one brand works better than the others. We started with Federal, had great luck with them so we continued.

The bullets are a different story. That V shok bullet with the plastic ballistic tip is a more accurate projectile than the hollow points.

Flash</div></div>

If the only difference is the bullet, then the bullet matters huge-time! I saw groups that look like shotgun patterns and groups that looked almost like bugholes in my ammo test.

I have not shot the 17 gr Hornady's. I shoot the 20 gr XTP and its shoots real good. 20 gr XTP'S are hard to find in my area but you can get the 17 gr pretty easy. I bought some 17 gr but have not got around to shooting them. I think they also make a 15.5 gr. You might want to look at them . Too light for my taste though.

Good Luck

I ordered a case of Hornady 17gr Vmax yesterday. I can only hope for the best now.

Anyone know why Midsouth is so much cheaper on their 17hmr stuff? I hope there is no issues with their Hornady 17 ammo...

i think the federal and hornady are the same shooting just different color tip and different stamp. they both work real nice out of the savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i5939</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think the federal and hornady are the same shooting just different color tip and different stamp. they both work real nice out of the savage. </div></div>

Hornady works great out of my rifle. My rifle gets mad at me if I deign to bring Federal home.

My little CZ 452 varmint likes to eat the CCI. I did what you guys did, i.e. bought a box of each brand and tried to ferret out what worked the best. By accident I purchased a box of FMJ but have yet to try it. At this point I will settle for what is least expensive and that seems to be Hornady and CCI. Bottom line though is it's a great little snappy tack driving cartridge.

+1 on the Hornaday vmax, the most accurate i have shot/

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I found this on 17hmr.net:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501</div></div>

To repeat... same factory... same specs... same components... different headstamps and bullet colors. I believe that people pick up one brand versus another and one does shoot better... but it is because the lot is different. A different lot of the same brand is likely to shoot as well as a different lot from a different brand.

So buy what's on sale.