• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 1903A3 question

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2008
Northern Nevada(out of Reno) USA
Found locally one with little wear marks and traces of cosmoline looks like new rifle. The lands and groves are very flat. In fact, the flatest I've seen in any barrel. Had to pry the barrel action out of the wood, tight fit. Put a target crown on the barrel and with open sight groups went from 1, 1 1/2 to less than 0.5 moa. couldn't believe it. And couldn't repeat it either as the barrel action worked loose. Fingernail polish will go on the action screws before next shoot.

Would you bed the action and what method?

Any recommendations on scope mount? Thought about B square's no tap and drill. Have not tried and don't know if holds zero. Brownell's has a no tap and drill, and of course could go with tap and drilled modern base and scope.

Re: New 1903A3 question

One thing that you need to be careful on the original 03a3 stocks is the clearance of the back of the receiver and the stock. The original 03's had a pretty noticable gap at this point, if that gap is closed up with bedding or any other reason there is a very good chance the stock will split at this point. I have seen this on many 03a3's that had very tight stocks. I believe there are a few companies that make after market fiberglass stocks that would not have this issue. These are great rifles that are fun to shoot, they kick like a mule and the metal buttplate will make a man out of any shooter!! If you are getting 1-1.5 MOA I would leave it alone, that is better than most 03a4's!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing that you need to be careful on the original 03a3 stocks is the clearance of the back of the receiver and the stock. The original 03's had a pretty noticable gap at this point, if that gap is closed up with bedding or any other reason there is a very good chance the stock will split at this point. I have seen this on many 03a3's that had very tight stocks. I believe there are a few companies that make after market fiberglass stocks that would not have this issue. These are great rifles that are fun to shoot, they kick like a mule and the metal buttplate will make a man out of any shooter!! If you are getting 1-1.5 MOA I would leave it alone, that is better than most 03a4's!! </div></div>

XARMOR thanks for the info. This one back of the action has that gap and the recoil lug also has a gap and does not touch the stock.
1+ on the metal buttplate making a man out of you. Have to drive my shoulder into the little beast making a solid shooting platform.

Will spend more range time with it. Have the sight set at 250y mark puts it in 10x at 100y. For a truck gun engaging coyotes around here the shot is usually around 200y but 3-400y not unlikely.

They are great shooters, will send many a yotee to howling heaven!