• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors New 1911

flagg888

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2008
East Northport, NY
Hello Guys, just bought my first handgun in 10+ years. I always wanted a 1911 but I didn't want to break the bank, and I don't go shooting as much as I would like to, so I was talking to the guy I've bought a couple of my rifles from and he is a 1911 junkie and suggested a Rock Island Armory model.
I bought it and just shot it today for the first time, I gotta tell ya, its a solid piece and was running like a swiss watch.
No failure to feed, or eject problems at all and I had a lot of fun.
It grouped great, only one problem, the groups were about 4 inches to the left of target and 5 to six inches low. I've never owned a pistol that was that far off ever, I guess I was just lucky years ago and never had to really adjust sights that much.
I am at a loss as to what to do.
I was wondering if you anyone has any experience with adjusting the sights on these pistols.
The pistol is a Rock Island Armory 1911 A1 in the officers model. The front sight seems to be slotted into the slide and the rear looks the same with an allen head screw in the center top of the sight.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Scott

Re: New 1911

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what ammo were you shooting? and at what distance? </div></div>

Was shooting Winchester white box 230gr FMJ

Distance was 7 yards.

Have a friend shoot just to make sure it wasnt you. No offence, but you need to make sure you eliminate shooter error first before blaming the gun or the sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a friend shoot just to make sure it wasnt you. No offence, but you need to make sure you eliminate shooter error first before blaming the gun or the sights. </div></div>

None taken.
I will do that, but I thought it was just strange that it grouped great, but in a very different spot than I was aiming.
Even changed grip and stance several times just to see if the POI changed, and still same thing.
I will have a buddy shoot it and see if the same thing happens.

A few years back I had a Springfield that shot low left-great grouping, but just as you described.
I took it to a smith that works at the local indoor range and told him I wanted new sights installed, or for him to drift the rear and file the front so it would shoot to POA. He asked how it was shooting, to which I replied "great, but its about 6" low and to the left".
He asked if he could shoot it, which I agreed to. He grabbed a target and a box of ammo and came back a few minutes later, handed me the target with a ragged hole centered in the bull, saying "buy ammo with the money you were going to give me and practice your trigger control".

Low left is common for new 1911 shooters.

It could be your pistol, but then again it may be you. If you have someone else shoot it, pick someone that shoots 1911s proficiently.