• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater New 2012 Trailer

Re: New 2012 Trailer

Hasn't this movie already been made like 10 times? Different title, different global disaster, same boring plot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enjoy! This is the film that has been slowly turning effects animators in West Los Angeles into zombies for the last year or so...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810045661/trailer </div></div>

Looks good to me. I'm always in for some destruction.

guy's I don't think it matters if it has been made before.

it is all about entertainment. that is all who cares if it is true false or just a good story.

I enjoys just going to the movie with the wife and kids the when it comes out on dvd I buy it and piss off anyone with in ear shot with the home theater

Emmerich likes disaster films and he's actually a really good director to work with. He makes popcorn blockbusters and he knows it, but that's what he loves to do. He really likes to challenge the effects team to do epic work, and while that can be really painful at the time, the results tend to be outstanding. "The Day After Tomorrow" was no exception - extremely painful to work on but lots of good work came out of it. The thing that's cool about "2012" is that two key people from his past, Marc Weigert and Volker Engel, are taking the reigns of production and the visual effects. Both come from the VFX world, having worked on his earlier movies such as "Godzilla" and "Independence Day." In fact, Volker worked on one of his earliest films, "Moon 44" as a model supervisor and won an Oscar for "Independence Day."

The scale and level of detail of the effects animation work on "2012" is really incredible. Pretty much the top effects artists in the industry have been slaving away on this one for some time, doing some insane integration of rigid body simulations of collapsing buildings with computational fluid simulations of massive water bodies. The public is in for a treat on this one, regardless of how corny the movie may be, as the visuals are just mind blowing!

Considering what was given away in the trailer you posted I have no doubts the visuals are incredible.

Yup, and many of those shots aren't final.

There's some really (literally) ground breaking work being done on the VFX side. Digital Domain integrated a physics engine from a game developer into their effects package (Houdini) to process massive numbers of rigid bodies in near realtime. Scanline ran some of the most intense fluid simulations ever to do the DC and Ark shots with their in-house solver Flowline.

Really the best and brightest have been on this one, but it's been another killer project with artists working 14 hour days, 7 days a week for the last few months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Really the best and brightest have been on this one, but it's been another killer project with artists working 14 hour days, 7 days a week for the last few months.</div></div>

Then what in the world are you doing there? Delivering starbucks or what?

LMAO J/K

I'm not among the best and brightest anymore. The war got in the way of my career development for a while and now my priorities have changed. No doubt I would have been on that film, but honestly I was less interested in killing myself to do cutting edge work and more interested in doing good work and having a somewhat relaxing time doing it - not to mention the free time to go shoot regularly. I guess I'm old
wink.gif

yeah...looks like about 2 hours of freakin cool special effects....kinda like how passion of the christ was 2 hours of beatdown.

I'm pretty much totally bored with computer-generated special effects. What's the difference between that and a cartoon? Not much.

Perhaps that's why we spend most of our time watching classics on TCM and AMC.

Thank god a few people like Clint Eastwood are still making movies where character matters more than FX.

FWIW, we did a LOT of computer generated effects on Clint Eastwood's Iwo Jima films. In fact, without the computer there was no way we could have built Mt.Surabachi into the background of shots on Iceland's black sand beaches.

What you should be complaining about is not the techniques, but the gratuitous use of effects in place of story. That is 100% the filmmakers, not the visual effects people. Sure, we like to make cool shit all the time, but we HATE working ourselves into the ground on films that in the end we'll look at and think "oh man, that was stupid!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you should be complaining about is not the techniques, but the gratuitous use of effects in place of story.</div></div>

I was. You just chose to take it personally. You needn't have.

Roger - your first sentence immediately made me think "oh man, not another person that wants us to go back to the days of miniatures and optical printing."
wink.gif

I'm sort of with Lindy, I guess. No offense to the VFX guys, you do good work and I have nothing against high quality production values but for me a movie needs to be plot and character driven first and the VFX are just means to an end. With these disaster movies the VFX <span style="font-weight: bold">ARE</span> the end and plot and character seem to be annoying details the director uses to get big names associated with his movie for the lobby posters. I'm generally a Cussak fan, but I bet this is one he phoned in.

I point to LotR as an example. I'm the type of person who would have been perfectly happy to see the entire thing as a single 12-hr long movie of all 3 director's cuts strung together. Because the story telling was terrific. The VFX enhanced that picture wonderfully, but it was the telling of the story that makes it epic. It's no easy feat to stitch that story into a movie and Jackson and his wife did it wonderfully.

But then many people seem to get annoyed whenever they're expected to actually listen to the dialog and want the movie to be over before their 96 oz coke manages to work it's way to their bladder so maybe I'm in the minority.

Yup, VFX are the make-up designed to enhance the vision and support the story. Without that they are just extraneous visuals. Still, you can understand a studio's point of view when you look at the highest grossing films of all time and the vast majority are visual effects heavy.

I didn't see 'Independence Day' until well after it was released on DVD. After all the hype and money and generalized frenzy over this movie my jaw pretty much hit the floor when I finally saw it. I couldn't believe people got so excited over that shite. I literally turned to my buddy (who'd seen it in theatre and bought the DVD) and asked him "Why did everyone like this movie so much? It's horrid!"

With the way quality story telling has been on the rise in movies since Jackson's film, I'd sorta hoped we'd grown out of the 'dark period' of films produced '90-'00

A good example where visuals have been mixed well with quality story and characters are Pixar's films. Of course, I think that's primarily because from day one they've been a studio for animators, by animators - not suits and bean counters trying to maximize the bottom line by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I think "ID4" did well when it did because summer '96 was pretty dry, unless of course you think "Twister" and "Speed 2" were good
wink.gif

Like it or not, digital visual effects are here to stay for the simple fact that they are extremely flexible, efficient and make the impossible possible. Of course it' up to the director to use them wisely. A good example are films like "The Aviator" and "Memoirs of a Geisha," neither of which are big flashy effects films, but you would have no clue just how saturated they are with effects work.

On the flip side you have films that require so much effects work, they might as well be animation. Take for instance the work of Digital Domain...

Making of "Stealth"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkeclbpcZIw

Speed Racer montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJCwzvwdwck

"Stealth" was all about realizing crazy camera motion that really is impractical and impossible in the real world, though the movie easily could have been done like "Top Gun" in a more practical sense.

"Speed Racer" on the other hand was all about creating an intense cartoonish feel with live action footage that you couldn't normally just do in camera.

I'm dating myself, but the first big computer FX film I saw was <span style="font-style: italic">2001</span>, and it was visually stunning on a big screen.

But after the first <span style="font-style: italic">Matrix</span> film, I never wanted to see another.

Great! Another Gay Ass End of the World movie! Why dont they make a good moves like Saving Pvt Ryan or Band of Brothers anymore. All I want to do is see billons of people get wiped out by nothing. Just CG Crap!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great! Another Gay Ass End of the World movie! Why dont they make a good moves like Saving Pvt Ryan or Band of Brothers anymore. All I want to do is see billons of people get wiped out by nothing. Just CG Crap! </div></div>

I kid you not, after "Godzilla" Roland wanted his next project to be about the Battle of Midway. Sony, being a Japanese company, wasn't too keen on that idea. But it really was funny listening to him say "I just wanted to do a movie with sexy boys in airplanes." hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great! Another Gay Ass End of the World movie! Why dont they make a good moves like Saving Pvt Ryan or Band of Brothers anymore. All I want to do is see billons of people get wiped out by nothing. Just CG Crap! </div></div>

I kid you not, after "Godzilla" Roland wanted his next project to be about the Battle of Midway. Sony, being a Japanese company, wasn't too keen on that idea. But it really was funny listening to him say "I just wanted to do a movie with sexy boys in airplanes." hahaha </div></div>

Dog, you always have had the way to brighten my day!, thx bud!

Did someone say Godzilla?

<span style="font-style: italic">With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down, Godzilla!

Helpless people on subway trains
Scream BUG-EYED as he looks in on them, Godzilla!

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town, Godzilla

Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah</span>
-Blue Oyster Cult (Reference)

Everytime I hear that word I am transported back in time to the LTmobile, a VW bus that was co-owned by about 12 platoon commanders that frequented a certain AF Club in Southern Okinawa on karaoeke Friday evenings. Purposefully drunk, they would hog the DJ's time by requesting only two songs over and over...Minnie the Moocher and Rocky-Top Tennesee, until all the couples that came together to sing duets would leave. One evening, on the way back North to the Schwab, they found themselves purposefully inebriated and weaving through the throngs of people leaving a festival on the base for their homes in Okinawa City. A wiseass, riding shotgun, found this song on the radio and, cranking it as loud as it would go, leaned way out the window and pointed toward the distant sky yelling, "Ahhh rook, its Godzirra!" About 1000 heads snapped in that direction to look for themselves, causing spasms of laughter to reverberate through the van, including the driver, who proceeded to crash into a light post, thus ending all wekend liberty on the AF Base for a month.

I LOL'ed a deep and purposeful LOLphter when I read Lindy's comment about 2112. I saw that too on a big screen with a couple of fellas that were doing a bit of 'space truckin' (Reference) of their own at the time. I thought they were going into shock a couple of times.

Anyway, Dogg, thanks for the link. Please PM me with an email address where I can contact you because what you have discussed here is something that a certain club you once joined is looking for...in terms of making hundreds of images appearing simultaneously appear to be easy to grasp quickly and have sense made of them. Imagine looking at your screen now and the image that appears is every single thing that is moving, or, every single thing that produces heat, or both, within 10 miles of where you are sitting. How would a game developer make this user friendly for someone that, say, grew up with computer games, joysticks, and was between the ages of 18 and 22? Just brainstorming...