• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New .223 Rem, Sierra 55 gr. OAL issue?

Stratmeister

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I got a new Weatherby TRR chambered in .223 Rem which has a Kreiger barrel, bought some factory Reminton 55 gr SP and Winchester 55 gr. Silvertip factory ammo. I also decided to load some home brew ammo to start building loads of my own.

I picked up some Sierra 55 gr. HPBT bullets, some Midway branded 55 gr. FMJ, and the only rifle powder I could find, I4064.

I found some generic load data for 55 gr. FMJ, loaded up the Midway bullets, seated to the cannelure with a slight crimp. I chambered one round and it fit fine. So I loaded a few with 23.5 gr. of I4064 which should be a low end load.

Then I switched over to the Sierra 55 gr. HPBT and loaded up a few of those. For giggles I chambered one, or should I say I tried to. Same OAL as the Midway bullets. But I could not close the bolt. I slightly forced it shut, then I had a heck of a time opening the bolt. They appeared to be a slight scratch in the bullet, parallel to the case head/mouth. Not down the body of the bullet, but across. An empty casing chambers fine, so I believe the issue to be the bullet shape, ogive, or something along those lines.

My OAL is something around (I'd have to measure again to be sure) 2.18 which is well under the max stated.

My question is this: do I continue seating the bullet deeper reducing the OAL, or do I just not use these bullets? I know setting them deeper could effect the chamber pressure, so there must be a safety issue that I should be mindful of. They measure correctly at .224 diameter. The factory Winchester and Remington chamber just fine and are around the same length, no shorter. Some Georgia Arms 55 gr. FMJ that I use in my AR-15's fits just fine also. If you need OAL info on all of these I can measure them when I get a chance.

I just wasn't sure what the process was when I loaded a round that was quite hard to chamber or the bolt wouldn't close. My Sierra manual is old and doesn't have this bullet listed, it does have 55 gr. Spitzer so I used that as a start. It also doesn't list OAL for the loads it gives, it just states max OAL is 2.26.

Can some of you more experienced guys give me the next step I should take? I have loaded for my 6mm Rem and assorted handguns for years but never run into this issue.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.