• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New .223 rifle build, all correct?

Lucreau

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2017
CO
Putting together a .223 rifle. Just wanted some quick input to reassure everything will line up for a good build. Reached out to Curtis for his vector action and he told me they had a new action coming out this week to replace the vector.
What I have ready to order...

-Curtis action cut for AW mags
-Grayboe Phoenix stock, accepts r700 footprint actions and barrels up to 1.250 dia.
-Grayboe m5 style detachable box magazine that accepts AICS magazines
-Grayboe bottom metal
-pre fit bartlein 3b barrel from straight jacket armory.

I guess my biggest question is the magazine setup. What mags can or should I use with this build? With the action cut for AW mags, and DBM that accepts AICS, can I run AICS (DSSF) in that action?

Last edited:
Yes you shouldn’t have any problems. Is there any reason you don’t wanna run ar mags?

Reactions: Lucreau
Yes you shouldn’t have any problems. Is there any reason you don’t wanna run ar mags?
I currently have a few accurate mag 223 mags that are DSSF. From what I see, the AW mags are double feed width, so would they even fit the bottom metal that has an opening for AICS?

I currently have a few accurate mag 223 mags that are DSSF. From what I see, the AW mags are double feed width, so would they even fit the bottom metal that has an opening for AICS?
I don’t know but probably not. I have a bunch of ar mags like most guys just laying around. Aics mags at $65 a pop not nearly as many. I’d be looking into it since we are talking 223 ammo. Just me being cheap

.I guess my biggest question is the magazine setup. What mags can or should I use with this build? With the action cut for AW mags, and DBM that accepts AICS, can I run AICS (DSSF) in that action?
The bottom metal should accept both aics and aw as their lower bodies are basically one in the same, that won’t be an issue. It will be the actions bottom feed port that will dictate whether it can fit the the wider topped aw up inside or just the narrower top aics and if it’s cut for aw then it’s fine with both.
I don’t see you having an issue using the accurate mags in it but I haven’t ever fiddled with a Curtis so I can’t speak to any specific peculiarities.

Because he isn’t retarded?

The bottom metal should accept both aics and aw as their lower bodies are basically one in the same, that won’t be an issue. It will be the actions bottom feed port that will dictate whether it can fit the the wider topped aw up inside or just the narrower top aics and if it’s cut for aw then it’s fine with both.
I don’t see you having an issue using the accurate mags in it but I haven’t ever fiddled with a Curtis so I can’t speak to any specific peculiarities.

Because he isn’t retarded?
The engineers must be profoundly retarded to design such crap. The arrogance of ignorance. Lmmfao

The engineers must be profoundly retarded to design such crap. The arrogance of ignorance. Lmmfao
What are you even trying to say other than continuously giving out bad info?
The ar mag lengths cut the legs out of a 223 case with a decent bullet in it, it’s designed to fit in a small frame ar, not to be good.
A 75 elf seating to ar mag length 2.260 and to a bolt length at 2.419 which is .025 off the lands in a wylde chamber.
6F2A7615-4DA5-451C-B4E4-A0DF7C059D03.jpeg

You think the guy is spending a grand on an action to shoot that shit?

edit: not to mention he said he already has the accurate mags.

Last edited:
My Curtis axiom is aw cut and I run mdt .223 mags in it with no issue, and I’ve seen others use accurate mags with no issues.
Like @spife7980 said don’t try to make it run ar mags as I haven’t seen that shit before. I’m running 80 eldms at a 2.5” oal, good luck getting that in an ar mag.
One major thing to consider is barrel twist also

Thanks for the responses!
And yeah I gave up replying once he mentioned throwing a usgi mag into it lol

Exactly what I needed, going to go ahead and make the orders today

My Curtis axiom is aw cut and I run mdt .223 mags in it with no issue, and I’ve seen others use accurate mags with no issues.
Like @spife7980 said don’t try to make it run ar mags as I haven’t seen that shit before. I’m running 80 eldms at a 2.5” oal, good luck getting that in an ar mag.
One major thing to consider is barrel twist also
Ended up getting the 8 twist bartlein in a 22” barrel (kept the barrel on the slightly shorter side due to running a suppressor)

Putting together a .223 rifle. Just wanted some quick input to reassure everything will line up for a good build. Reached out to Curtis for his vector action and he told me they had a new action coming out this week to replace the vector.
What I have ready to order...

-Curtis action cut for AW mags
-Grayboe Phoenix stock, accepts r700 footprint actions and barrels up to 1.250 dia.
-Grayboe m5 style detachable box magazine that accepts AICS magazines
-Grayboe bottom metal
-pre fit bartlein 3b barrel from straight jacket armory.

I guess my biggest question is the magazine setup. What mags can or should I use with this build? With the action cut for AW mags, and DBM that accepts AICS, can I run AICS (DSSF) in that action?

A bit late to the game here, but wanted to chime in... I have a Curtis Axiom in an MPA Comp chassis with a WTO Switch Lug that I switch between 6.5CM and 223. The 223 Accurate Mags work great in this action with 75gr BTHPs. I recall seeing a few threads on here about feeding issues with the 223. I have not had any feeding issues and that mag ran completely smooth from the first round. MDT also makes a good mag for the 223, but they are polymer and the Accurate mags are metal with a teflon coating. Accurate mags are $25 more, but they feel way more solid to me.

A bit late to the game here, but wanted to chime in... I have a Curtis Axiom in an MPA Comp chassis with a WTO Switch Lug that I switch between 6.5CM and 223. The 223 Accurate Mags work great in this action with 75gr BTHPs. I recall seeing a few threads on here about feeding issues with the 223. I have not had any feeding issues and that mag ran completely smooth from the first round. MDT also makes a good mag for the 223, but they are polymer and the Accurate mags are metal with a teflon coating. Accurate mags are $25 more, but they feel way more solid to me.
Never too late! All good insight. Good to know what I want will work, and is being used already. Did you have to modify the plastic insert in your accurate mags for 223?

Never too late! All good insight. Good to know what I want will work, and is being used already. Did you have to modify the plastic insert in your accurate mags for 223?
Didn't have to do a thing- the 75gr fit perfectly with room to spare and I have run a couple different brands in both 223 and 556 without issue. I have seen posts of where people filed them down, but I don't recall what bullets they were running. I wouldn't mess with it unless it won't run without changing something.

What's the deal with people recommending AR mags in a bolt gun? Aside from the Mossberg MVP it's not even possible (Unless you include the moronic Magpul 700 SA 5.56 mags.

The op didn’t say what ammo he was planning to use or barrel twist. Having seen the attached picture earlier looking for bottom metal, I asked him a question. I didn’t recommend anything.
PT&G has some pretty smart people. Evidently the demand for ar bottom metal was enough for them to invest their time and money in making it.
AA7F9D96-788F-4F29-B436-330D542D2D9C.png
D42CCB3F-8DE0-4238-A5C6-B889253CCD79.png