• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New .223 Trainer Complete and Zeroed

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Just got ahead of the storms today to boresight, zero, and do an initial break-in on my new trainer.

I shot 2 - cleaned, 3 - cleaned, and then 5, 5, and 5 with a cleaning between each. The patches are coming out without much, so I'd say the break-in is complete as well.

Managed a .4 for shots 7-10 after firing an oil shot, and then a .5 for five shots with the oil shot included using factory 77gr Sierra stuff. ES and SD were all over the place...makes me think there's a lot more to be had with a good handload. The rifle also shot a MOA group with my blaster handloads using the 62gr Mk 318 Mod 0 bullet and CFE-223.

Sorry for the crap photo, rain started just as I walked outside to snap a photo or two of the rifle, so it got patio table treatment...doesn't do the McWalnut finish any justice.

20230706_110203.jpg

20230706_105402.jpg

Action is a trued 700SA, with the receiver drilled out and tapped (also straightened) for 8-40 screws. Barrel is a 26" Krieger HV with a 1:7 twist. Chamber is a .223 Wylde with .062 freebore. Both are Cerakoted, and all metalwork was done by Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles here in OK. Matt has done three barreled actions for me now on Krieger barrels, and the other two have both been fantastic.

I added a Gre-Tan firing pin assembly while I was updating the old girl.

Stock is a McMillan A4 in McWalnut, bottom metal is a Hawkins DBM, trigger is a TT Primary at 2.25lbs, base and rings are Seekins, and the optic is a Trijicon Tenmile 4.5-30x56. I did do the bedding and 'assembly' myself, but that's not exactly rocket science.

I know that a .4 and .5 aren't exactly blowing the doors off anything, but for factory ammo and less than 20 rounds down the tube it is a good start.

I'm prepping 100 rounds of various blaster loads with the 69gr SMK, as well as the 68 and 75gr Hornady BTHP. It'll get me an idea of combinations to start with once I get serious about load development after I have 120 rounds through this barrel.

^ For those wondering why not other bullets, I have a ton of those supplies on hand when this rifle was in its factory form as an SPS Tactical. It loved the 68/69gr stuff. Unfortunately when the rifle was with a relative for a few years the barrel developed some horrible rust and pitting in it...so the whole thing got a makeover and will be with me again for the rest of my days. The old girl deserves that.

Looks great! I've been wanting to do pretty much the same with a 700 action I have sitting on the shelf.

There was a point where I was fighting with myself over spending the money on getting the action trued vs. getting an Origin. I have a bit of experience with the Origin, and it's extremely nice and slick for the money.

However, this little 700 feels like a bank vault now. I'm both surprised and relieved on how good it feels. I have another 700LA laying around and collecting dust. Instead of selling it, I'll probably go the same route again.

Reactions: camocorvette