• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 243

Ark. Trapper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2009
Aetna, Arkansas
Well I finally got my 243 put together for the most part. I'm still waiting on the scope I want (Viper HS 4x16x44LR) to hit the shelves. I've got a buddies old '85 model Leupold 10x on for the time being. I'm gonna Duracoat the barreled action and scope OD and will either do a digital duracoat job on the stock or have it dipped in ATACS. Anyway here's the specs on it:
Trued M700 action with sako extractor

Shilen SS 1-8 twist 4 groove ratchet rifle match #6 contour @ 22" threaded 5/8-24

B&C M40 medalist stock soon to be skim bedded

factory bottom metal soon to be replaced by PTG Tactical BDL BM
Here's a couple pics
DSCN1370.jpg

DSCN1369.jpg

Re: New 243

Thanks. So far with 105 Amax's it's giving about 1moa 5 shot 100 yard groups, which ain't gonna cut it! But that's just some pretty light starting loads so I'm not worried. The 70 grain Ballistic tips shot just a little over 1/2moa. I'll get it tuned in shortly.

Nice rifle and would like to hear how well it shoots. Once you get the metal coated and stock painted up it will look like a whole nother rifle. BTW what is the black coloring in the center of your bolt?

Nice rifle. I have a similar set-up with an 8 twist Bartlein.

Mine got into a groove after about 35 rounds.
Shooting the 105VLD over 44.0gr R22 at 2900 in the .3's.
I was chronographing my final loads today, getting ready for antelope in @ a month.

Dont give up on it. The 243 has much accuracy potential.

Thanks Hutch. That's about what I had figured for getting it settled in. I think I've got about 30 round thru it so far. I'm a long ways from giving up on it.

Well it only took me all winter to finally decide how I wanted this thing to look. Here it is in final form with a bobcat I called in a few weeks ago.
[img:right]http://
268f6a20.jpg
[/img]

Thanks. It was a 70 grain Ballistic tip running 3420fps. She was facing me and I hit her dead center in the chest, the bullet never exited. She was DOA!

Wow! That's great! I would have thought it would have been worse. Is that your regular fur bullet? Is that typical performance? How do like that stock? Sorry for all the ?s!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMpistolero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! That's great! I would have thought it would have been worse. Is that your regular fur bullet? Is that typical performance? How do like that stock? Sorry for all the ?s!</div></div>
No problem NMp. Yeah that's my regular varmint bullet and it pretty much seems to be typical for a frontal shot on anything bigger than a coon or groundhog. It will exit on a broadside coyote but don't tear em up too bad. Maybe a 1-1/2" hole at its worst. I've only shot that one cat with it but I'll bet it would wreck one on a broadside shot. I love that stock! It's just a tad longer than some other stocks so it fits me better.