• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New .300 PRC build: Ultimatum or Lone Peak Action? 28, 30 or 32" barrel?

hattori.hanzo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2021
Germany
Hi all,

I am currently planning a new rifle build for competition shooting chambered in .300 PRC. Since this is intended to be used for static ELR shooting, I do not need a magazine and would prefer the additional stiffness.
The basic idea is to choose an Ultimatum Precision Deadline or Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action. Both single shot, long action, magnum bolt face.
Do you have a recommendation, which is the best of them and would work as a Remington 700 footprint plug and play option?

Then it comes to the barrel: Here I am really lost regarding the length. I'd go with a minimum of 28 inch straight or MTU+ contour up to 32" with 9" twist rate for Hornady ELD Match 225 gr bullets (because Bergers are not available since months over here). I've read a lot of unfavorable vibration behavior with very long and thick barrels. Which length for competition shooting have you had the best experience with in this caliber?

Since I'd like to use as much as possible powder capacity for Vihtavuori N570, I am going to plan with 3,778" COAL for the Hornady ELD Match 225 gr bullets.

I am looking forward to your advice and hints on my planned setup and questions.

Many thanks
Uwe

I just stumbled across your thread and not sure if you made a purchase or not. I own both actions and really like both actions. But the lone peak is more plug and play as it’s a true 700 footprint where the deadline requires different mag catches. Number 2 the deadline doesn’t seem to prefer to be single fed where the long peak doesn’t matter. Out of a mag the deadline is great

Many thanks for our reply.

Since I am from Europe and the pricing of those actions was not appropriate, I decided to go for an Bergara B14 action with a Lothar Walter 32 inch barrel (straight 1.22 inch diameter). The action is very smoth and has been reworked by my gunsmith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt_3479