• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 300BLK Build

HonkeyMcGee88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
TX, USA
Been gathering the pieces for this build over the last couple months. Took it out today and was not too impressed with the factory ammo that I had read so many good reviews on. A friend's handloads shot much better but I also did not have the bipod at the time we were at the range. The factory ammo had much flatter primers than the handloads I tried so maybe the factory ammo is just t Pic of the completed rifle and range pics to come tomorrow.

- Magpul UBR
- Mega Upper/Lower Matched Set
- JP Silent Capture Buffer Spring
- JP Full Mass Bolt Carrier & Bolt
- JP 16" 300BLK Barrel
- JP Extended Length Hand Guard
- Wilson Combat Single Stage Trigger
- TBAC 30P-1 Suppressor
- Vortex Mount
- Vortex 2.5-10x32 Viper PST

722z.jpg

Last edited:
Which loads are you talking about specifically? Subs or supersonics? Did you try groups with and w/o the suppressor?

I was shooting PNW ammo loaded with 125 nosler green tips. Today each group seemed to tighten up a little from the one before it, also shot 6 sub rounds with a 208 amax that a buddy loaded up for me to try. Supers on top, subs on the bottom. Both are at 100 yards. I got a box or so left of the factory stuff then I will start working up some hand loads.

m3hd.jpg

w2gw.png

I didn't have the best of luck either with factory ammo in my 16" noveske. With my handloads Ive gotten 1" groups pretty easily. With 125 SSTs 19gr of H110 at 2.1, 110vmax 20gr of H110 at 2.06(I think don't have my book in front of me). As usual be careful and work your loads up in your rifle but I got the best accuracy with the hotter loads. Also with subs try a light crimp with a lee FCD, seems to help a lot of the sub shooters. I haven't had time to do sub load development yet but it sure is a fun gun once I got the accuracy where I wanted. I also didn't get that great of accuracy out of the noslers like some have but I didn't do a proper load development either. The SSTs are cheaper and shot great so why buy more expensive hunting bullets when cheaper works just as good or better.

Never considered barrel length making a difference. I might do an SBR later but don't feel like doing it at the moment. I was thinking about trying the berger 115 match bullets or a 125 sierra matchking. Not sure how the berger would do on game but there are plenty of hogs in south TX to find out on.

The SSTs are cheaper, work better on game and are just as accurate as the 125 SMKs. I see no reason to use them. Ive loaded 110 vmax, 125 sst, 110 barnes blacktip, 125 nosler, 125 smks, m80 147 pulls and the ssts/vmaxs were the most accurate as well as cheapest except for the m80 pulls. The m80s only got me 3-4" groups. I believe its mainly due to the 8gr weight spread I found in them. Got 500 150gr hornady fmjs coming to test in the hopes to find a cheap plinking round. If/when the speer 125 tnts come back in stock at 20 a box that will be the way to go for super cheap hunting bukkets but theyve been out of stock for months.

Barrel length isnt the issue as all 300blk loads are developed on 16" barrels. Factory loads just arent that accurate in my experience. The 300blk is very charge and col sensitive. Its easy to find the load your gun likes but in my ecperience its usually not what the factory loads.

Great looking rifle, but I have to ask what it weighs? When I built my 16" having in mind it would be suppressed and carring it, I put the lightest rail I could on it. Im not nocking your setup, it looks great and looks like it shoots just as well. But it must be heavy with that long rail.
Yeah I agree with both of you, I have shot very few factory rounds in mine, they didn't shoot well at all. I really like the 125gn Nosler BT and 125gn Sierra game kings/spitzers. I like the 208gn amax for subs.

Sure is purdy. I love that stock. I am super fond of the round too. I am working on some cast lead 247 grain subs. You should also try the 208 grain Amax

I am looking forward to a 300blk SBR build next year. I need to finish my current 5.56 build first though.

Country88 I have not put it on the scale yet but I want to say from 10-12. Just guessing. That handguard is really not very heavy. I think a loaded 30rd mag may weigh more then the tube on the handguard. Would probably ditch the bipod if I was going to be walking around with it.

Update on the new stick. Country 88 I stuck it on the digital food scale, read 11lbs 10oz.

Finally loaded up some hand loads and the results were pretty good. Pulled one shot out of the group, never fails.
- CCI BR Primers
- 20gr of H110, max load use with caution
- 2.050 OAL

19.5gr also shot pretty good, the lower charges did not shoot all that great.

100 yards
ew0o.jpg

I'm shooting a Remington 700 AAC-SD in 300 Blackout with the 16.5" barrel. I'm running 19.5gn of H110 under 150gn Hornady FMJBTs with very good results. Velocity is averaging 1,855 out of the bolt gun.

Congrats, It looks like it will shoot great! 11 LB isnt to bad, bet it doesnt move when you pull the trigger! Main thing is it shoots, mine also like the hotter loads. Im using 18.8gn of H110 with 125gn Sierra pro hunters and 18.7gn with 125gn Nosler BT's. They both shoot great in my 16" noveske. That is a great group you shot there though!