• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 308 tube

Bayou

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
The brown truck dropped of a new 308 tube today. It's a PAC-NOR SS Super Match,1:12 twist, 3 groove, 26", Heavy Varmint contour. Only took about an hour to get it fitted in the Remy 700P HS Precision stock.

PN1.jpg

I went with a barrel nut similar to what Savage uses so I can switch out the barrels myself. Also got a 260 Remington tube inbound.

PN2.jpg

The chamber is what PAC-NOR calls "308 Sniper", basically a match 308 chamber throated for a 168 gr bullet. I mainly shoot Nosler Custom Competition and Hornady A-Max 168 gr pills. I did a quick measurement before I started fitting it to the stock: A FGMM 168 gr cartridge has a 0.037" jump to the lands. I'm not going to miss the deep throat of the stock tube. To sit on the lands with the new barrel a NCC 168 gr bullet will be seated 0.133" deeper into the case.

PN3.jpg

PN4.jpg

If the weather cooperates maybe we'll get to see how she shoots tomorrow.

Re: New 308 tube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A.O.R.G.S-RemiG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much did this barrel cost you? </div></div>

The barrel blank was $280. I sent them my factory barreled action. They removed the factory barrel, fitted the new barrel and trued the action and lapped the bolt lugs ($300 for that). The barrel nut option added $65. All together with shipping it cost me just under $700.